Mayer Brown Reviews

47 reviews filtered by
3.6
Mayer Brown CEO Paul Theiss
Paul Theiss

1. A wonderful experience working with brilliant people. Great culture.

Former Employee - Partner in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Partner in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mayer Brown

Pros

Sophisticated work, brilliant people, and great working culture. Great place to learn the skills of your practice area.

Cons

Very demanding work, but that's part of the deal working in a very large law firm. Important to work with partners that have thriving practices and share the wealth.

In talking to partners recently, sounds like the firm is moving in a great direction. Lots of positive trajectory. Congrats to management!

2. Great training

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mayer Brown

Pros

Lots of good people to work for who offer great training. Manageable work-life balance, especially for a big law firm.

Cons

Long road to advancement that can't necessarily be shortened by over-performance, which is common among law firms. Seemed to be some sharp elbows among partners when it comes time to allocate client relationships, but lots of collegial people as well.

3. There is no opportunity for growth or advancement

Current Employee - Clerk in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Mayer Brown full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The location is great! Close to shops and restaurants.

Cons

The management staff is unaware of the type of work the support staff does. My supervisor doesn't know how to do my job.

Attend training sessions prior to accepting management positions. The support staff depends on you for support.

5. Financial officer

I worked at Mayer Brown

Pros

The team i worked with were very proffesional and efficient. A well let team in the back office in HK.

Cons

Worked extremely long hours for a back office as the pay did't match the time we put in. All in all though it is a great company to work for

6. Mayer Brown DC

Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mayer Brown

Pros

This organization does a lot to integrate both attorneys and staff in a cohesive manner. The DC office offers a robust wellness program. It is conveniently located downtown and they have an awesome reputation in the city

Cons

The firm partnership is very apathetic to new ideals or change, due to their accelerated age bracket. I think there should be greater collaboration from the DOA to get better leniency and flexibility from the firms partnership

Be receptive to staff needs as well as suggestions

Mayer Brown

I worked at Mayer Brown (more than 8 years)

Pros

Use to be able to make great money and plenty of computer training

Cons

Outdated management. Most of the managers are without degrees and seem to be friends. The attorneys were pretty aggressive and the secretarial management always stood up for the attorneys behavior no matter how unprofessional it was. The firm seemed to also have a problem with diversity among its support staff. The minority secretaries were always being called in for something unfairly. There were too many secretarial supervisors to answer to.

Get some professional managers who don't play favorites among the support staff

8. Enjoyed working with legal staff.

Former Employee - Conference Service Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Service Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mayer Brown full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Each day was a learning experience. The law firm has a family oriented value with their employees.

Cons

Due to the department I worked in, holidays were hard to plan.

Management works with employees in regards to family. The perks for service are the bonuses given at the end of the year.

Overall experience has been very positive.

Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mayer Brown full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and learn from. Office culture is very professional and progressive. Great work\life balance and understanding for employees that have situations come up and need personal time or to work out scheduling issues.

Cons

Needs to offer up options for continued learning and personal growth. Not much room for advancement.
    Raises and bonuses are minimal for non-exempt employees. Current IT situation seems to be very scattered.

Give people a little more to look forward too, such as, Jeans day on Friday's. Outings and more team lunches.

10. Great benefits, potential work/life balance issue

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mayer Brown full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits (competitive salary, employer contribution to 401k, insurance, plentiful time off), high-paying jobs (even for back office staff), and management that wants to see you succeed (both in projects and on your career track generally)

Cons

Deadline driven to the extent that work/life balance may suffer at times, managers are always on-call via Blackberry, pressure to achieve results quickly can be high

Don't forget -- work isn't everything! Do continue to nurture employees as they develop in their roles.

11. Good job for what I did

I worked at Mayer Brown

Pros

The benefits were great. For the pay grade that I was at, I was really lucky for the benefits that I got. The work was really what you made it.

Cons

It was slow at times and no one really told me that in the interview. It gets really quiet at times so that is kind of a bummer.