Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy

John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments(in 7 reviews)

• Need more non-patient care areas (lounges, courtyards, gardens, etc(in 6 reviews)

Sixteen years at Mayo, Ups and downs but overall positive experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsGood work/life balance. Ability to innovate within your scope of work as long as it doesn't cost money. Eventually if you prove yourself it could end up being your next career move. Mayo is well respected in medicine. Benefits are good at the moment. Tuition reimbursement program. Easy living city with low stress.

ConsAs of late, the focus on money has overshadowed the needs of the employees. There is a feeling that the organization doesn't have the backs of its' employees like it once did.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit more experienced managers and work to retain better management professionals.

Mayo RN Phoenix

RN Bedside (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers. Would highly recommend this organization. Great Midwest values brought to the Southwest!

ConsLack of advancement opportunities from bedside to administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease ensure staffing stays reasonable so burnout does not occur.

Ok place to work, great city

Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsA lot of motivated people, great city.

ConsGetting things done is like herding kittens. Work life balance is not good. Direction is muddy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Get in touch with people under you instead of meetings, upon meetings, upon meetings with each other.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top notch facilities and phenomenal research, but unrealistic expectations and little job satisfaction.

Research Intern (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsOne of the most challenging research internships I have been a part of (for better or for worse). I have definitely left Mayo with an arsenal of skills and techniques I will carry into my career and education. Mayo holds regular seminars and the program as a whole treats their interns fairly well by providing lunches, talks with faculty, and program wide events. It also seems that the SURF program is a recruiting initiative of sorts for their graduate program, so the connections you make do help on that front.

ConsI had little to no job satisfaction, no recognition for work done, and unrealistic demands for someone who is supposed to be learning the research process. The learning curve for my project in particular was pretty steep, and the expectation was that I should already know the techniques and concepts without aid from my research mentors. This led to poor work/life balance where work weeks reached 55-60 hours, and oftentimes I was forced to continue working from home or come into the lab on the weekends. This experience seemed common among the other interns within my department, however I cannot vouch for other interns in other departments. While the technical experience was great, the overall experience was probably the most stressful experience in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, upper management treated interns well, however several interns (myself included) had horrible experiences with direct mentors. That being said, future interns and mentors in general might benefit from explicit guidelines of research expectations and limits to the amount of time interns are allowed to work. This may prevent explicit abuse of intern labor.

Great for patients, but not so much for employees

ProsGreat for medical training, early career

ConsSmall town, insular culture, lack of strong leadership

Challenging, fast-paced work environment with growth opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsLots of opportunity for growth, learning new skills, and expanding your talents. They offer competitive pay with a standard work schedule. Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance.

ConsLots of change happening throughout the organization affecting nearly every department as the Health System integrates with Mayo Clinic. With integration comes fear and anxiety and while they acknowledge fear and anxiety they fail to provide tools for helping all staff navigate the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employees and don't 'pigeon hole' employees based on the strengths you see, let them continue to grow in all areas. Growth opportunities exist, but they often seem to be for the 'golden children', give others with great skills a chance to prove themselves, rather than just saying 'lots of growth opportunities in the future'. Opportunities seem strongest for nursing staff, which I am not.

One of best places to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsExcellent teamwork, good work-life balance, stable job

ConsSlow decision making process - needs approval from so many committees

Great place to work...

Team Lead (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsStable job.. great benefits... good team work

ConsDecisions are not made timely.. bureaucratic procedures sometimes.
    No performance based incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR policies should change to lay off under performing staff. Most IT managers don't have external experience.

Mother Mayo

Research Technologist (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsMayo strives to take good care of its research staff with a good benefits package, and 60th percentile pay ranges. Strong Core labs make cutting edge research attainable.

ConsWhopping big indirect costs on research funding, and an overall second-class status for the research community in favor of the clinic and patient care at the intitution.

24 years at Mayo Clinic

Staff RN (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsTeaching Hospital with excellent Consultants. I worked here 24 years and enjoyed the patients as well as my co-workers. Excellent variety of learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement. Many employees were able to get their Graduate Degree paid for by Mayo and have never used that degree.

ConsTop heavy. I, along with over 20 RN's were "encouraged" to resign from Mayo. All of us had more than 20 years at Mayo, were at the top of the pay scale and had surgery in the past five years. We were all in our 40's as well. None of us had ever been counselled prior to this and we all had excellent reviews and were active in committees. We were able to keep part of our retirement benefits. When we refused to resign we were fired.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!