Mayo Clinic

Updated November 14, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer competitive benefits and wages.
    Really care about their employees and the patients.
    Easy to move between departments and most of the management want to help you work towards your goals.
    Lots of opportunities to be involved in committees.

Cons

It is sometimes very hard to get fired and so there are people working there that don't fit the Mayo values.
    If you need time off in the summer months, you must know early in the year and have your request in, and then it is determined by seniority. Can be hard to get the time off that you want.
    One of the most frustrating things about working here is, they offer decent benefits, but as an employee it is super hard to get an appointment to be seen unless it is an emergency.

Mayo is an excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent atmosphere, great benefits.

Cons

Generally speaking, the work environment is great, however my recent experience has been outside the norm. I can only assume it's a different aspect of the organization that allows for some inappropriate behaviors (puzzling as that may be), however I know that Mayo does great things and employs great people, so I'm not concerned by this small piece of the employee population with respect to Mayo as a whole.

Be an example of the values of the organization. They are excellent values; it's a shame to ignore them.

Mayo Clinic Florida was an amazing place to work for and grow and develop in healthcare.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Very influential in research and cutting edge technology; innovative; great compensation

Cons

Can be hard to obtain a position initially, but once you are in, you are in.

Keep up the great work.

Good Steady Job

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team structure, amazing benefits, ample time off.

Cons

Hours are late. Working can be repetitive.

Patients come first

Current Employee - Program Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The over all environment is good. Everyone has a sense of pride to be employed by Mayo Clinic. There is access to great care resources and events.

Cons

Work life balance at Mayo like many health care systems can be difficult to maintain. In Rochester especially where the majority of the people in the community have direct ties to Mayo Clinic it may feel difficult to separate work from personal life.

I think the strongest managers are always keen advocates for their staff and that they make efforts to link development opportunities that align with staff specific goals.

HUC position

Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Red Wing, MN
    Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Red Wing, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group to work with. Benefits are nice.

Cons

Pay is low, hours are bad.

Disappointing. Motto should be "The needs of the patients with MONEY comes first.

Former Employee - Nursing in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Nursing in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care. Fair wages and benefits. State of the art equipment.

Cons

Change in benefits to exclude retired Mayo employees from health care once they become Medicare eligible. Disrespectful, arrogant and bullying behavior from physicians and supervisors is never addressed or disciplined. I didn't quit my job, I quit the people I worked with.

Recognize the value of all employees. Make separate funds available for nursing education. Education budgets for departments seldom filter down to nursing if ever. It seems the physicians have no problem using all the funds on themselves.

Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company that really cares about developing you so that you are the best both for yourself and for the company

Good benefits

Cons

There is much bureaucracy, but that is to be expected with a company as expansive as Mayo Clinic.

Health insurance exclusive to Mayo

Proud to work for Mayo

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Mayo Clinic since the early 2000s, and it's the only major institution I've worked in, though I have had other part time positions elsewhere. I didn't realize how good I had it for the first few years until I started to realize how hard it is to get in to a company like this, especially in economic hard times. I now work in a teleworking position and actually live out of state, even though I started out on the Rochester campus downtown. Working from home has improved my job satisfaction immensely, even though there are sometimes technical difficulties, being able to avoid commuting and having to buy work clothes makes up for the periodic inconvenience. Mayo does take good care of their employees; though, just like any large company, some work units have better supervisors and policies than other. Overall, though, they try to keep things fair in terms of compensation and hours, including systematic raises and pay ranges.

Cons

There are often "hiring freezes" in which, in order to save money, when someone leaves, they are not replaced except for in rare circumstances. Our work unit has experienced this several times now, and the work continues to be redistributed, sometimes stretching people beyond their limits, even if temporarily. The past few years, there have been a lot of campaigns to "work differently," meaning finding ways to work more efficiently and using less resources, waste, etc. It has made a big difference in a positive way in many areas; and, in the current job market, many of us who are still working, we are grateful to have a job with good benefits--however, some of the uncertainty is a little unsettling for some work groups who are always wondering if they will be next on the chopping block. For the most part, however, if a team is eliminated, those folks get first priority in placement in other departments.

a good place with nice people. slow system with a lot of bureaucratic issues. very respectful doctors and nurses

Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a wonderful hospital with a lot of practices and research opportunities; depending on if you can get into transnational research, it is a very unique place you can grow yourself.

Cons

bureaucratic system. severe political barriers for junior people. cold weather and boring small-size city. comparing to very lively eastern and western coast, here is a place for you to start a career and raise your small kids, but not good for expanding and finding more opportunities.

please try to keep good employees. location is already some clear disadvantage for mayo.

Mayo Clinic Photos