Mayo Clinic

Updated December 15, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I am inspired by the talent and dedication of the people of Mayo Clinic. Feel honored to work here.

Current Employee - Professional in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Professional in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had opportunities to work with people from many professions on projects that are worthwhile. Mayo leaders take a sincere interest in your work and are willing to give of their time to help you when their involvement is needed. People here are very busy but always willing to help. This place has a BIG heart.

Cons

Periodic micro-managing; may need to provide some of your own resources at your own expense; commitment to transparency inconsistent; female physicians seem to be promoted only so far--not one has served as Mayo's top CEO over the course of its 150-year history. This is no criticism of our current CEO, who is excellent in the role and is an inspirational leader.

Coach employees and entrust them with opportunities to grow; share information, good and bad; tap staff for problem-solving work-unit challenges; remember to recognize effort--the spoken word shared in the moment goes a long way.

Truly the best hospital in the world!

Former Employee - Float Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Float Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic

Pros

I had to relocate recently and this is the only reason I left Mayo! Hardest decision of my life! This is the best hospital in the world to work at or be a patient. Extremely professional, kind, and competent employees. The best environment for nurses to work in. Everyone respects each other and you can depend on your co workers. "Mayo nice" is a thing. If you don't have it...you won't last here! I'd trust these people with my life!

Cons

Rochester, MN is kind of in the middle of nowhere. And it's Minnesota so winter is endless and there's no such thing as a snow day so your going to have to plow your way to work! St. Mary's is an old hospital and a couple of the floors are a little dated, but most are being remodeled!

Keep doing what your doing!

The needs of the patient come first.

Current Employee - Resident, General Surgery in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Resident, General Surgery in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great culture, highly trained and knowledgeable staff, great facilities, strong leadership, incredible support for employee advancement

Cons

Minnesota winters can be brutal

keep up the great work!

Good place to work, if you are in the correct lab.

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Mayo Clinic has a very friendly work environment, and employees a lot of good people.

Cons

Promotions are usually hard to come by unless you really fight for them. Some people feel it is based on years of service, not work performance.

Great Experience

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Collaborative, fun, welcoming, inviting, social

Cons

location- rains almost every day

Great Design Opportunity at Center for Innovation, Mayo Clinic

Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI
    Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a wonderful place, you can work with different designers, coders, managers, etc. Everyone is super friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. You can touch the real projects and bring your talent to the world. Also it has the best gym and personal trainer, you have your health in secure.

Cons

There is no cons for Mayo Clinic as fas as I know. The only thing might be super cold weather in the winter which I am so lucky don't need to be there.

Busy Allied Health Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, team work, and diversity. Pay and benefits are above average. Value in going home knowing you are contributing to a good cause.

Cons

Matrix organization. Constantly being pulled between different priorities. The person dictating the workload usually isn't the same person with the control of the resources. Periods of extreme burnout and frustration. All part of working through a major change in the industry though.

Keep pushing standardization. Involve frontline staff more in project planning. If your going to burn certain jobs as part of strategic reprioritization, a slight raise for those picking up the slack would be nice. Overall, keep up the good work. It is a great place to work, and great things are being accomplished.

Lots to Love

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My work area was overseen by a couple of managers who were always supportive, patient and professional. Their managers were likewise.

Cons

Throughout my time there, both as a contractor (at first) and then later as a full-time employee, I occasionally got the sense that my direct input (at meetings, etc.) was squashed. I didn't have any delusions that my manager knew what he was doing, so I did what I was told. But every once in a while I'd offer up something only to have it shot down pretty much right away. Still, it was not my responsibility to manage, so I left well enough alone and they did fine without implementing my suggestions. Maybe they just weren't that useful....

Continue to trust your people and take care of them as you did with me and others.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer competitive benefits and wages.
    Really care about their employees and the patients.
    Easy to move between departments and most of the management want to help you work towards your goals.
    Lots of opportunities to be involved in committees.

Cons

It is sometimes very hard to get fired and so there are people working there that don't fit the Mayo values.
    If you need time off in the summer months, you must know early in the year and have your request in, and then it is determined by seniority. Can be hard to get the time off that you want.
    One of the most frustrating things about working here is, they offer decent benefits, but as an employee it is super hard to get an appointment to be seen unless it is an emergency.

Mayo is an excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent atmosphere, great benefits.

Cons

Generally speaking, the work environment is great, however my recent experience has been outside the norm. I can only assume it's a different aspect of the organization that allows for some inappropriate behaviors (puzzling as that may be), however I know that Mayo does great things and employs great people, so I'm not concerned by this small piece of the employee population with respect to Mayo as a whole.

Be an example of the values of the organization. They are excellent values; it's a shame to ignore them.

Mayo Clinic Photos