Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

• Need more non-patient care areas (lounges, courtyards, gardens, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Number one in the Country for a reason

Former Employee - Ccht  in  Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Ccht in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and hours, benefits are great- cheap health plan options, Employer paid pension, 401k with employer match, great shift differential. Lots of opportunities to get OT (if you want it).

Cons

There is a serious parking issue in Downtown Rochester. If you plan to work at a Mayo satellite location, you should be fine.

A program in-house for CNA's, PCT's, or PCA's to become RN's would be nice.

great boss and lovely job, never gonna leavve

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

boss is so nice and is always saying something nice

Cons

sometimes yyou have to work nights;(

Mayo SURF Program Review

Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (SURF)  in  Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (SURF) in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They help set you up with summer housing in Rochester, MN. The program sets up awesome activities for you to get to know the other SURF students and Mayo Graduate School students. The way SURF students are treated is amazing, and the openness by everyone at the Mayo Clinic is astounding. Definitely one of the best institutions and organizations I have had the pleasure to be a part of.

Cons

There is a lot of variation in the experience based on which lab and project you are placed in. I was fortunate to be in a great lab on an awesome project BUT I had some friends who did basic pipetting all summer and did not feel very accomplished at the end of the program.

Continue to take feedback from individual SURF students in order to identify how to best tweak the program in the years ahead. Providing the stipend from week 1 may be helpful, I know some students were living paycheck to paycheck since the first stipend for summer 2013 came in a bit later than was expected due to the pay schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Residential Staff

I worked at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Prestige of working at Mayo Clinic

Cons

Politics of the management team

I worked at Mayo for 5 years in their IT department. It's a mess!

Former Employee - IT SYSTEMS ARCHITECT I  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - IT SYSTEMS ARCHITECT I in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mayo has a great reputation overall. They utilize cutting edge technology that enhances patient care, but things move VERY slowly. They still have/had pension benefits. Overall acceptable benefit package - although decreasing each year.

Cons

Management has been there so long, they have forgotten how to operate 'outside of the box' and used to doing things the same way. It's all they know. They tend to micro manage - so if you are a free thinker - probably not the place for you. A still current employee (who has been with Mayo for 20+ years) once explained to me that as long as you 'move with the herd, you'll be fine'. If you cannot - the herd will find a way to 'push you off the cliff'.
    HR is there strictly for management, not for YOU. Don't be deceived.

Your staff is not as happy as you think. They are just afraid to speak up. Job opportunities are posted - but the interview process is a ruse because the candidate has already been selected.

Moving on to better places

Former Employee - RN (Masters Degree)Staff Nurse  in  Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - RN (Masters Degree)Staff Nurse in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits at the present yet benefits are consistently being cut back little by little. The health care system does have many specialties in which staff may choose although getting assigned an interview is difficult due to the HR department.

Cons

The corporation has become very arrogant over the years. The staff are no longer important in the grand scheme of things only the patients are. This has caused resentment and distrust in the corporation. Staff do not feel there is any loyalty by management or the from the company as a whole. The attendance policy is not conducive to staff who work in a healthcare setting thus being prone to catching illnesses. Nurses work various shifts and are severely punished if sick, late or accidentally miss at shift. Past work attendance or work ethic does not matter if a staff member is written up for inadvertently breaking the attendance policy.

Remember that nothing can replace experience or time served when it comes to knowledge on the job. Do not get rid of older employees for new employees. Remember loyalty and a positive trusting work place will lead to the best performance and team work. Management should lead each nursing unit individually for best team performance, complex thinking skills would also benefit management level workers rather than just reacting from the institution.

Decent opportunities but leadership needs more training.

Current Employee - Senior research technologist I
    Current Employee - Senior research technologist I

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time

Pros

There is a lot of good work being done here with many talented individuals in departments across the country. The benefits are really quite good, and Rochester is a nice place to raise a family. Tons of different research and clinical labs here too, so lots of options to pick from.

Cons

Training! The major downfall of this company is that their values stress that "the patient comes first", but that's not the culture. The culture is that the doctor comes first, which usually means that they have little to no experience or training in managerial skills. A PhD or MD can have a lab, but that doesn't mean it will be run well. To some extent this is likely true around the world, but Mayo doesn't even attempt to improve the managerial skills of their top workforce members. However, if there are issues, HR is pretty good at handling them effectively.

Please train doctors!

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staffing here is amazing. You won't find these kind of patient to nurse ratios anywhere in the country.

Cons

They have a tendency to move slow to change anything.

I worked at The Mayo, and it was okay.

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technologist  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technologist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clinical lab work here is a breeze: up to date instruments and methods, tons of specialist support, and all the Facebooking you want.
    Mayo subsidizes public transportation (including coach buses), which allows long-distance commuters to defray travel costs.
    Employees have access to world-class doctors and treatments for their own medical care.

Cons

As the "Bastion of Conservatism", dress codes are too rigid and out of date, especially for areas with zero patient contact.
    Mayo used to offer all employees free health care and a more relaxed absentee policy; over the years they have slowly tightened the screws to eliminate little perks that used to be taken for granted.
    Mayo is located in the bowels of Minnesota = Winter Hell.

We're all professionals here. Don't micromanage us with rigid policies regarding professional appearance and discipline procedures for "tardy attendance".

Great place

I worked at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Best doctors in the world

Cons

Minnesota is not for everyone

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!