Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
4.0

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is very good, but Mayo is a bit conservative, so there is not the flexibility like there is at other companies like IBM (in 6 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to work.. !

Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees. City has most of the things you need.

Cons

I did not find anything negative. Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance.

a good place with nice people. slow system with a lot of bureaucratic issues. very respectful doctors and nurses

Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a wonderful hospital with a lot of practices and research opportunities; depending on if you can get into transnational research, it is a very unique place you can grow yourself.

Cons

bureaucratic system. severe political barriers for junior people. cold weather and boring small-size city. comparing to very lively eastern and western coast, here is a place for you to start a career and raise your small kids, but not good for expanding and finding more opportunities.

please try to keep good employees. location is already some clear disadvantage for mayo.

Amazing. I feel fortunate enough to work for this great organization, the culture is something to be experienced.

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist - Cytogenetics in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist - Cytogenetics in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, shift differential, medical, dental, eye. The needs of the patient really do come first here an it shows. People from all over the world recognize Mayo as the best and Mayo proves it everyday.

Cons

Parking is very limited and creates some issues when going to and from work on day shift. When working second or 3rd shift there is no issue.

Evolving

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ample opportunity to contribute to the growth of your field/department
    -pays well
    -an overall good culture that really tries to show its appreciation for employees as much as its patients.
    -great benefits and looks out for employees
    -generally high-quality physicians, nurses, and laboratory staff.
    -if you mess up (in a non-criminal way) there are people in place to help you get on track and rehabilitate. They invest in their employees so they will coach you to help you succeed.

Cons

-mayo is viewed by a lot of people as the zenith of medical care, so it's stressful to keep up that "make no mistake.....ever" mentality.

Utilize your employees. They are full of great ideas.

Proud to work for Mayo

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Mayo Clinic since the early 2000s, and it's the only major institution I've worked in, though I have had other part time positions elsewhere. I didn't realize how good I had it for the first few years until I started to realize how hard it is to get in to a company like this, especially in economic hard times. I now work in a teleworking position and actually live out of state, even though I started out on the Rochester campus downtown. Working from home has improved my job satisfaction immensely, even though there are sometimes technical difficulties, being able to avoid commuting and having to buy work clothes makes up for the periodic inconvenience. Mayo does take good care of their employees; though, just like any large company, some work units have better supervisors and policies than other. Overall, though, they try to keep things fair in terms of compensation and hours, including systematic raises and pay ranges.

Cons

There are often "hiring freezes" in which, in order to save money, when someone leaves, they are not replaced except for in rare circumstances. Our work unit has experienced this several times now, and the work continues to be redistributed, sometimes stretching people beyond their limits, even if temporarily. The past few years, there have been a lot of campaigns to "work differently," meaning finding ways to work more efficiently and using less resources, waste, etc. It has made a big difference in a positive way in many areas; and, in the current job market, many of us who are still working, we are grateful to have a job with good benefits--however, some of the uncertainty is a little unsettling for some work groups who are always wondering if they will be next on the chopping block. For the most part, however, if a team is eliminated, those folks get first priority in placement in other departments.

Great Company... But Best for Those with MD Title.

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great healthcare plans. Fitness center in complex for employees. Shuttle buses from surrounding area. Most of complex is connected through tunnels, helpful in cold winter months. Patient-centered, so facility is always well-kept.

Cons

Doctor worship. If you aren't one of the docs, be prepared to be somewhere further down the totem pole for how important you are to the company.

Great Summer research opportunity!

Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, leadership, city life
    I had a great summer and learned a ton from attentive and knowledgeable staff and superiors.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, sometimes can get lost within the different chains of command and instructions.

Continue to be in good contact with the people you supervise and make sure to keep the end goals in mind

Overall good, with a ton of change coming

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission
    Most of the people that you work with

Cons

Constant change without clear focus
    There are people just 'mailing it in'
    No performance bonuses

Select a clear direction and focus and then stick to it.
    Constant change without justification is not a good strategy

Great organization to work for, strong value, culture and rich history.

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time

Pros

Retention of Employees is strong, if looking for longevity. Benefits are great; Growth and opportunity is there as long as you are creative and open minded;

Cons

Limitation in career movement as it is a challenge to become "one". There is a lot of conversation but not enough solution surrounding how to embrace the change.

Number one in the Country for a reason

Former Employee - Ccht in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Ccht in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and hours, benefits are great- cheap health plan options, Employer paid pension, 401k with employer match, great shift differential. Lots of opportunities to get OT (if you want it).

Cons

There is a serious parking issue in Downtown Rochester. If you plan to work at a Mayo satellite location, you should be fine.

A program in-house for CNA's, PCT's, or PCA's to become RN's would be nice.

Mayo Clinic Photos