Mayo Clinic

Updated November 24, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Design Opportunity at Center for Innovation, Mayo Clinic

Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI
    Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a wonderful place, you can work with different designers, coders, managers, etc. Everyone is super friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. You can touch the real projects and bring your talent to the world. Also it has the best gym and personal trainer, you have your health in secure.

Cons

There is no cons for Mayo Clinic as fas as I know. The only thing might be super cold weather in the winter which I am so lucky don't need to be there.

Busy Allied Health Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, team work, and diversity. Pay and benefits are above average. Value in going home knowing you are contributing to a good cause.

Cons

Matrix organization. Constantly being pulled between different priorities. The person dictating the workload usually isn't the same person with the control of the resources. Periods of extreme burnout and frustration. All part of working through a major change in the industry though.

Keep pushing standardization. Involve frontline staff more in project planning. If your going to burn certain jobs as part of strategic reprioritization, a slight raise for those picking up the slack would be nice. Overall, keep up the good work. It is a great place to work, and great things are being accomplished.

Lots to Love

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My work area was overseen by a couple of managers who were always supportive, patient and professional. Their managers were likewise.

Cons

Throughout my time there, both as a contractor (at first) and then later as a full-time employee, I occasionally got the sense that my direct input (at meetings, etc.) was squashed. I didn't have any delusions that my manager knew what he was doing, so I did what I was told. But every once in a while I'd offer up something only to have it shot down pretty much right away. Still, it was not my responsibility to manage, so I left well enough alone and they did fine without implementing my suggestions. Maybe they just weren't that useful....

Continue to trust your people and take care of them as you did with me and others.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer competitive benefits and wages.
    Really care about their employees and the patients.
    Easy to move between departments and most of the management want to help you work towards your goals.
    Lots of opportunities to be involved in committees.

Cons

It is sometimes very hard to get fired and so there are people working there that don't fit the Mayo values.
    If you need time off in the summer months, you must know early in the year and have your request in, and then it is determined by seniority. Can be hard to get the time off that you want.
    One of the most frustrating things about working here is, they offer decent benefits, but as an employee it is super hard to get an appointment to be seen unless it is an emergency.

Mayo is an excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent atmosphere, great benefits.

Cons

Generally speaking, the work environment is great, however my recent experience has been outside the norm. I can only assume it's a different aspect of the organization that allows for some inappropriate behaviors (puzzling as that may be), however I know that Mayo does great things and employs great people, so I'm not concerned by this small piece of the employee population with respect to Mayo as a whole.

Be an example of the values of the organization. They are excellent values; it's a shame to ignore them.

Mayo Clinic Florida was an amazing place to work for and grow and develop in healthcare.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Very influential in research and cutting edge technology; innovative; great compensation

Cons

Can be hard to obtain a position initially, but once you are in, you are in.

Keep up the great work.

Good Steady Job

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team structure, amazing benefits, ample time off.

Cons

Hours are late. Working can be repetitive.

HUC position

Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Red Wing, MN
    Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Red Wing, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group to work with. Benefits are nice.

Cons

Pay is low, hours are bad.

Disappointing. Motto should be "The needs of the patients with MONEY comes first.

Former Employee - Nursing in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Nursing in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care. Fair wages and benefits. State of the art equipment.

Cons

Change in benefits to exclude retired Mayo employees from health care once they become Medicare eligible. Disrespectful, arrogant and bullying behavior from physicians and supervisors is never addressed or disciplined. I didn't quit my job, I quit the people I worked with.

Recognize the value of all employees. Make separate funds available for nursing education. Education budgets for departments seldom filter down to nursing if ever. It seems the physicians have no problem using all the funds on themselves.

Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company that really cares about developing you so that you are the best both for yourself and for the company

Good benefits

Cons

There is much bureaucracy, but that is to be expected with a company as expansive as Mayo Clinic.

Health insurance exclusive to Mayo