Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Steady Job

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team structure, amazing benefits, ample time off.

Cons

Hours are late. Working can be repetitive.

Patients come first

Current Employee - Program Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The over all environment is good. Everyone has a sense of pride to be employed by Mayo Clinic. There is access to great care resources and events.

Cons

Work life balance at Mayo like many health care systems can be difficult to maintain. In Rochester especially where the majority of the people in the community have direct ties to Mayo Clinic it may feel difficult to separate work from personal life.

I think the strongest managers are always keen advocates for their staff and that they make efforts to link development opportunities that align with staff specific goals.

Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company that really cares about developing you so that you are the best both for yourself and for the company

Good benefits

Cons

There is much bureaucracy, but that is to be expected with a company as expansive as Mayo Clinic.

Health insurance exclusive to Mayo

Proud to work for Mayo

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Mayo Clinic since the early 2000s, and it's the only major institution I've worked in, though I have had other part time positions elsewhere. I didn't realize how good I had it for the first few years until I started to realize how hard it is to get in to a company like this, especially in economic hard times. I now work in a teleworking position and actually live out of state, even though I started out on the Rochester campus downtown. Working from home has improved my job satisfaction immensely, even though there are sometimes technical difficulties, being able to avoid commuting and having to buy work clothes makes up for the periodic inconvenience. Mayo does take good care of their employees; though, just like any large company, some work units have better supervisors and policies than other. Overall, though, they try to keep things fair in terms of compensation and hours, including systematic raises and pay ranges.

Cons

There are often "hiring freezes" in which, in order to save money, when someone leaves, they are not replaced except for in rare circumstances. Our work unit has experienced this several times now, and the work continues to be redistributed, sometimes stretching people beyond their limits, even if temporarily. The past few years, there have been a lot of campaigns to "work differently," meaning finding ways to work more efficiently and using less resources, waste, etc. It has made a big difference in a positive way in many areas; and, in the current job market, many of us who are still working, we are grateful to have a job with good benefits--however, some of the uncertainty is a little unsettling for some work groups who are always wondering if they will be next on the chopping block. For the most part, however, if a team is eliminated, those folks get first priority in placement in other departments.

a good place with nice people. slow system with a lot of bureaucratic issues. very respectful doctors and nurses

Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a wonderful hospital with a lot of practices and research opportunities; depending on if you can get into transnational research, it is a very unique place you can grow yourself.

Cons

bureaucratic system. severe political barriers for junior people. cold weather and boring small-size city. comparing to very lively eastern and western coast, here is a place for you to start a career and raise your small kids, but not good for expanding and finding more opportunities.

please try to keep good employees. location is already some clear disadvantage for mayo.

Amazing place to work.. !

Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees. City has most of the things you need.

Cons

I did not find anything negative. Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance.

Amazing. I feel fortunate enough to work for this great organization, the culture is something to be experienced.

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist - Cytogenetics in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist - Cytogenetics in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, shift differential, medical, dental, eye. The needs of the patient really do come first here an it shows. People from all over the world recognize Mayo as the best and Mayo proves it everyday.

Cons

Parking is very limited and creates some issues when going to and from work on day shift. When working second or 3rd shift there is no issue.

Evolving

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ample opportunity to contribute to the growth of your field/department
    -pays well
    -an overall good culture that really tries to show its appreciation for employees as much as its patients.
    -great benefits and looks out for employees
    -generally high-quality physicians, nurses, and laboratory staff.
    -if you mess up (in a non-criminal way) there are people in place to help you get on track and rehabilitate. They invest in their employees so they will coach you to help you succeed.

Cons

-mayo is viewed by a lot of people as the zenith of medical care, so it's stressful to keep up that "make no mistake.....ever" mentality.

Utilize your employees. They are full of great ideas.

Great Company... But Best for Those with MD Title.

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great healthcare plans. Fitness center in complex for employees. Shuttle buses from surrounding area. Most of complex is connected through tunnels, helpful in cold winter months. Patient-centered, so facility is always well-kept.

Cons

Doctor worship. If you aren't one of the docs, be prepared to be somewhere further down the totem pole for how important you are to the company.

Great Summer research opportunity!

Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, leadership, city life
    I had a great summer and learned a ton from attentive and knowledgeable staff and superiors.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, sometimes can get lost within the different chains of command and instructions.

Continue to be in good contact with the people you supervise and make sure to keep the end goals in mind

Mayo Clinic Photos