Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org
Employer Engaged

Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
Updated March 1, 2015
4.0

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing things going on here.

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Down-to-earth coworkers, people working together towards a common goal, life-saving technology being developed

Cons

There were no cons of this job for me.

I'm an IT/Programmer analyst here at mayo clinic.

Current Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Working here at mayo clinic is one of the best jobs i had because it is one of the best places to work for in US and also the best hospitals in the US.

Cons

Challenging job was to develop and maintain the huge amount of data

It helps in balancing the personal and the professional life

Rated best in the country for healthcare- not managment

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits. pay, patient care, efficiency in a troubling time in healthcare

Cons

supervisors micromanage, don't know who is actually working and who talks about working
    closed doors of communication from upper management
    transportation
    parking

take time to listen to employee's concerts and don't blow them off
    advancement within current employees rather than complete focus on diversity and external applicants, the grass is always greener philosophy needs to go.

Nice place to work but...

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always have supplies, nice work environment, benefits are ok

Cons

Management very slow to act, little respect for nursing, raises are based on where you are on a pay scale, not merit

Listen to the employees (nurses esp.) BEFORE making widespread policy changes

Great organization

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Hospital in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Hospital in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Well-staffed relative to other area facilities.
    Collegial atmosphere.
    Adequate supplies for performing our work.
    Great mission!

Cons

Tone-deaf management.
    Focus on the bottom line a little too much.
    Will put up with bad actors in mgmt. without any apparent accountability for performance/excellence.

360 reviews of management to include input from rank & file.
    Take employee survey results seriously.
    Be open to input from those of us on the firing line and actually doing the work of patient care.

Administrative Assistants @ Mayo Clinic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mayo Clinic has Administrative Assistants; there are no perks to being an Administrative Assistant other than for those who are trying to enter Mayo Clinic as an employee - this is the way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Mayo Clinic has been reevaluating a lot of job classes stemming from the Sirota Survey responses. But the only job class/category not being reevaluated is secretarial positions. The last change made to this job category was back in 2004 (11 years ago in March) and only a title change was made from Administrative Secretary to Administrative Assistant. The pay range was not adjusted to reflect this change as is the case with numerous other job title changes at Mayo Clinic.

Part of the new Mayo Clinic culture is to invest in Talent as part of their Strategic Plan. So why does Mayo Clinic not invest in the talent they already have on staff or by hiring those with specific vocational degrees and job experience instead of investing in someone with no work experience and a non-related degrees (i.e., Biblical Theology, Psychology, etc.) to perform Administrative Assistant work? That’s the million dollar question. Mayo Clinic sees talent as having a Bachelor's Degree and no experience and you don't even need to know how to spell or use proper grammar.

There are employees at Mayo Clinic who are currently doing secretarial work who have had their job title and job description changed along with a salary range increase but are still performing secretarial work. For example, two women could be sitting in the same office performing the same job duties but, because one has a bachelor’s degree, is paid more. To get around the federal rules the minimum qualifications are changed and/or the job description. However, a job description change does not necessarily mean that is what is being done in that job. When employees witness such action, it is demoralizing to those who are working in the same capacity but are paid significantly less.

A lot of other job classes requiring Associate Degrees and/or Diplomas offer different steps that employees can move through in their positions; e.g., Research Protocol Specialist I, II, II & Senior, etc. For those of us who choose this as a career and have 10, 15, 20-30 years of experience in this field, we are not considered “talented” enough to be given opportunities unless we have a Bachelor’s Degree.

Unfortunately, for those of us who have vocational degrees/diplomas, we are not allowed to advance in our field of choice because Mayo Clinic is oppressing those of us who love this work and choose to do this work as a career choice. For those of us who speak up, we are basically banished from ever going further in this field. After dedicating many years of your life to Mayo Clinic as an Administrative Assistant you will eventually be capped at the top of the pay range. At this point you will only receive the pay range increase and nothing extra. Mayo Clinic used to give our Merit Increases to those who were at this point, but this has been done away with for the secretarial field. All other fields get their Merit Increases by being able to advance to different levels within their job fields and by job titles being changed to make accommodations for exclusive employees to continue receiving pay increases. In 2015, the pay range across the board increased 2% so that means those at the top of the pay range only receive a 2% increase. Now that’s investing in your talent and investing in staff who give 1/2 their lives to an organization.

Redesign the structure of all secretarial jobs at Mayo Clinic. Do not allow hiring someone with a Bachelor's Degrees into secretarial positions unless they have an Associate Degree or Diploma plus 2-5 years of full-time very specific secretarial work experience. Make years of experience in the secretarial field a requirement for being qualified for a secretarial job. Working in College at a Work Study office job does make a person qualified to be an administrate assistant; especially considering work study students probably work less than 12 hrs/wk and how much secretarial work do they really do?

Career advancement is more about "who" you know rather than "what" you know or have done

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in areas related to research, education, or the practice is good. Other areas are obsessed with cutting costs. Time off benefits are generous. They still offer a pension!

Cons

All the employees get the same percentage raise... even the lazy ones. Department/Division chairs don't do enough to develop their managers. Employees pay a lot of the costs after going to the doctor. Not a modern mindset.

Make lateral transfers easier

At times, like working for the federal government

Current Employee - Administration in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Administration in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good health plan, low expectations, average pay, stable, strong brand, lots of opportunity for latteral mobility, similar to government or university employment, best medical care on earth, universal pay raises irrespective of performance

Cons

Mayo has a big problem tolerating low-grade, incompetent administrators (management) alongside world class medical specialists, nurses, techs. Why accept two vastly different levels of professionalism? The two functions don't have to be incompatible for the medical part to thrive. Mayo's potential is onl being partially realized because of this.

Fire the known dead wood. There's lots of it. Reward competence, not just people whose only skill is to "manage up" to docs and committees

I worked in a small branch of the cardiovasc. research dept, gained great connections and had a positive experience.

Current Intern - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Intern - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed that I had freedom to teach myself and learn at my own pace, I was not compensated because it was an internship, but the funding was there so we weren't limited on research ideas.

Cons

I worked entirely by myself in the basement of a building, so be prepared to work on your own if you're in the smaller research departments.

N/A

Staff Consultant

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Physician and Nursing staff who remain dedicated to their craft and our patients.

Cons

No longer a physician-led organization. Now firmly in the hands of administrators who care more about lean/Six Sigma than supporting the Mayo Model of Care. Very sad to see a rapid decline in morale over the last decade.

Mayo Clinic Photos