Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org

Mayo Clinic Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

• Need more non-patient care areas (lounges, courtyards, gardens, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Mayo Experience

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsGood compensation package.
    Midwestern values
    Encourages furthering education
    Constantly changing environment

ConsManagement issues
    Benefits packages keeps getting reduced
    Run by committee

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more follow-through. Don't encourage furthering ones education as a way to advance at Mayo and do nothing to assist in that advancement. Seems to be more interested in finding talend outside of mayo instead of advancing from within.

Best employer in healthcare industry

Research (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsExcellent benefits. Career growth opportunities. Respect by administration

ConsTakes longer to get promoted as current leaders are very satisfied in their positions and are not easily moved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your current employees to get promoted within the company a bit easier.

high pressure research environment, high volume of patient access making clinical research the place to be

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsAccess to human specimen and diverse patient population. Lots of smart, driven clinician-researcher, making it THE best place to do translational research.

Conslow career mobility for PhD scientists. Takes long time to get tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster strategic, high leverage research as oppose to low impact, low return projects. Fund the excellence, not mediocre. Please give younger scientists more chances to succeed, not the ones been here for 30+ years without active funding or research any more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Problems and Opportunities at Mayo Clinic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits,internationally recognized,superior care in most areas.

ConsNurses have very little leeway with clinical decision making. Top-heavy.Nurses are expected to run unnecessary tests to get the institution to get more money or paranoia about lawsuits, or both..

Advice to Senior ManagementGive nurses more flexibility, within legal and safety boundaries, to try different modalities of care. Be more pragmatic than policy and paranoia driven.

Systems Engineer

Health Systems Engineering Analyst (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsThe Belief at being the Best is instilled throughout the organization.

ConsDecisions take too long to make. Opportunities are lost in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money on making sure processes are done correctly. Infrastructure / Systems are there to support future growth. Open up better communications and direction throughout the lower ranks.

Life changing career.

Clinical Lab Technologist (Current Employee)

ProsThe best that health care has to offer. Working here you can tell there is a difference in how they approach health care. This is the place people come to get answers.

ConsThe only real con is hearing back from human resources is painfully slow in a company of 40k employees. Be patient, they get a lot of applications for the jobs they post and there is a reason for that.

Rewarding Career

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsStable organization, lots of opportunities for advancement

Consvery slow decision making, losing sight of their core business

Advice to Senior Managementremember that your people are your greatest asset

Good place to work and job security

Finance Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsJob security, good salary and benefit

ConsNo movement, no productivity measures, some people work and some do not but they do not loose their jobs because of lack of productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be movement of people within the company regardless of title or experience. HR really needs to look at overall qualification of an employee rather than just experience alone. Many position that require a four year degree hire GEDs which demotivates other employees.

contracting with DLMP-project management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsThe people were down home and nice to get along with.

ConsThe teams did not have a good grasp as to what they were doing and why they were doing the tasks. My reporting director was bios against women. Hense laying off 6 of them while I was there. He spoke down to them and took their work away from them trying to have them feel belittled and not sure of their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne one on one time should be for me to have and reach out for help. They should tell you what they do not and they do like.

My experience with Mayo Clinic has been very good and rewarding. The needs of our patients do come first.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsThe diversity that comes with a large company is always beneficial. Collaboration and respectful behavior as an expectation makes work more enjoyable and creates trust.

ConsThe strength of a large corporation can very quickly become it's weakness. Finding the balance is a key factor in its success, particularly with regards to staff satisfaction and retention. Disrespectful behavior should be dealt with more consistently, particularly among leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen disrespectful behavior comes from sr. management it needs to be thoroughly investigated and dealt with according to the same standards as those who are not in leadership. Trust your content experts. They are called experts for a reason. Empower people to self manage as much as possible. Doing so will make for happier employees and less work for you.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!