Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy

John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, great leadership, very friendly and professional co-workers (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

• Need more non-patient care areas (lounges, courtyards, gardens, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

IV Technician

IV Technician (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsGreat health care and benefits

Conswork can be tedious and boring

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the employees.

Collaborative Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

Pros- Work with experienced, dedicated professionals
    - Access to individuals with subject matter expertise that is unparalleled
    - Ample opportunity, if you desire

Cons- Same as any large organization: necessity of processes, things take time - not a knock on the organization, but rather an unfortunate side effect of large corporations
    - Location is rather unfortunate as well - Small town MN

Advice to Senior ManagementA more progressive office culture may cater well to young, up-and-coming professionals.

Excellent mentorship & research opportunities with great benefits.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

Pros-Excellent mentorship and research opportunities.
    -Best hospital in the world, so translational research training here is deep, broad, and diverse.
    -Chance to work with the world's experts in just about every clinical and translational research area.
    -The salary is competitive especially in light of the low cost of living in Rochester, MN.
    -Benefits are plentiful and the commute is very light.
    -The culture is strongly focused on providing the best care for each patient.

ConsWinters can be harsh, but with the patient and employee subways in addition to on-site parking provided (standard for
    research fellows), it is not a problem. Also, with many local state parks nearby in addition to Quarry Hill, these
    locations provide great opportunities to take advantage of exploring the outdoors during these times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue:

1) increasing employee benefits: great that you will now be matching retirement investments,

2) to offer more opportunities for employee learning and growth: try to find a way to build a more user friendly
    Employee Entrepreneurial Program,

3) the culture at Mayo is excellent, try to help further build the Rochester community through greater diversity.

4) to provide free bus transportation for employees who do not have on site parking & build more downtown parking
    facilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place

Proseverything available, work wise ! good people and management

ConsWeather and a lot fun places

Incredible place to work!

Associate (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsExcellent work environment, rewarding career, beautiful facilities, strong management, excellent benefits and great pay! Mayo Clinic is a fantastic place to work and their spot on the Fortune 100 best places to work list is very well deserved!

ConsNo cons to report - I have loved my employment at Mayo Clinic!

Medical Secretary

Medical Secretary (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsExcellent benefits, reasonably good pay, consistent hours, emotionally rewarding, professional environment, training available, busing was paid for, good, healthy cafeteria food available at all times

Conssometimes understaffed, was laid off due to downsizing, some of the doctors were very arrogant and overbearing, office culture was backstabbing and unnecessarily stressful over petty issues

Needs of the patient come first.

ProsAn inspiring environment to collaborate with world class surgeons, scientists, and healthcare professionals in order to provide the highest level of healthcare.

ConsCentralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very impressed with Mayo's vision and leadership. What differentiates this healthcare institution from others is that at every level of leadership there is a physician who works side-by-side with a skilled administrator and makes decisions based on patient care.

Great experience

Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsGreat benefits. Great pay. Very welcoming.

ConsThere really are none that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can not think of any advice to give.

Loved working for Mayo Clinic as an RN.

Staff RN (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsExcellent management, work loads was fair. Company that gave a great raise every year that I worked there. Excellent and easy to navigate benefits. Truly felt supported by management and physicians. Conferences and learning opportunities were encouraged and paid for.

ConsWorking for such a large organization sometimes there are changes made company wide that may not make the most sense for your particular position.

Excellent work experience.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsMayo Clinic has an extremely professional work environment with state-of-the art facilities. Collaboration within and between departments is encouraged. Mayo also has an excellent work culture and business integrity.

ConsParking close to your building is limited.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!