Mayo Clinic

Updated December 20, 2014
4.1

Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Pros
  • Directors and supervisors encourage a strong work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Working in this place gives a great Job satisfaction, and has great benefits for employees (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Working here helps you to have a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Centralized decision-making and administrative infrastructure with decreased autonomy for individual departments (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Mayo Should Focus on Mutual respect for employees not just patients in their office culture.

I worked at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Professional, good pay and benefits.

Cons

While most of the employees I worked with over the years were kind, caring and professional, I was disappointed by two employees who I worked very closely with and my supervisor. These two employees were mean spirited at times and constantly putting me down in front of others and to my face. They felt at liberty to walk into my office any time they felt like it to berate me. I considered going to my supervisor and making her aware of their behavior but did not because she treated me disrespectfully in front of other employees several times as well, although her treatment of me did improve my last year of employment with Mayo. She also favored the two employees who were so critical of me so I did not know if going to her would help change their behavior or if she would do nothing about it. I also feared how they would retaliate. At times, the two people could be friendly but I never knew what type of mood they would be in that day. This caused me to become very clinically depressed and I was not able to return to my work since my recovery time took so long. Mayo is very concerned about good patient care, which is admirable. They also need to start a mutual respect policy for employees and supervisors to prevent this type of bullying behavior.

Start a mutual respect program for employees and supervisors to prevent office bullying behavior.

I am inspired by the talent and dedication of the people of Mayo Clinic. Feel honored to work here.

Current Employee - Professional in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Professional in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had opportunities to work with people from many professions on projects that are worthwhile. Mayo leaders take a sincere interest in your work and are willing to give of their time to help you when their involvement is needed. People here are very busy but always willing to help. This place has a BIG heart.

Cons

Periodic micro-managing; may need to provide some of your own resources at your own expense; commitment to transparency inconsistent; female physicians seem to be promoted only so far--not one has served as Mayo's top CEO over the course of its 150-year history. This is no criticism of our current CEO, who is excellent in the role and is an inspirational leader.

Coach employees and entrust them with opportunities to grow; share information, good and bad; tap staff for problem-solving work-unit challenges; remember to recognize effort--the spoken word shared in the moment goes a long way.

Great Experience

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Collaborative, fun, welcoming, inviting, social

Cons

location- rains almost every day

Nothing good to say

Former Employee - Radiology in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Radiology in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good location, Rochester has a lot to offer.

Cons

Almost everything from bloated management, to supervisors who play favorites and only look out for the people who suck up to them. The wrong people are being promoted into lead roles to the detriment of the patients. Quit cutting the hell out of a formerly great benefit package for retirees.

Start getting back to what the clinic was originally started for and that's to put the patient first instead of your pocketbook!

The needs of the patient come first.

Current Employee - Resident, General Surgery in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Resident, General Surgery in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great culture, highly trained and knowledgeable staff, great facilities, strong leadership, incredible support for employee advancement

Cons

Minnesota winters can be brutal

keep up the great work!

Truly the best hospital in the world!

Former Employee - Float Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Float Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic

Pros

I had to relocate recently and this is the only reason I left Mayo! Hardest decision of my life! This is the best hospital in the world to work at or be a patient. Extremely professional, kind, and competent employees. The best environment for nurses to work in. Everyone respects each other and you can depend on your co workers. "Mayo nice" is a thing. If you don't have it...you won't last here! I'd trust these people with my life!

Cons

Rochester, MN is kind of in the middle of nowhere. And it's Minnesota so winter is endless and there's no such thing as a snow day so your going to have to plow your way to work! St. Mary's is an old hospital and a couple of the floors are a little dated, but most are being remodeled!

Keep doing what your doing!

Good place to work, if you are in the correct lab.

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Mayo Clinic has a very friendly work environment, and employees a lot of good people.

Cons

Promotions are usually hard to come by unless you really fight for them. Some people feel it is based on years of service, not work performance.

Great Design Opportunity at Center for Innovation, Mayo Clinic

Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI
    Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Rochester, MI

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a wonderful place, you can work with different designers, coders, managers, etc. Everyone is super friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. You can touch the real projects and bring your talent to the world. Also it has the best gym and personal trainer, you have your health in secure.

Cons

There is no cons for Mayo Clinic as fas as I know. The only thing might be super cold weather in the winter which I am so lucky don't need to be there.

Lots to Love

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My work area was overseen by a couple of managers who were always supportive, patient and professional. Their managers were likewise.

Cons

Throughout my time there, both as a contractor (at first) and then later as a full-time employee, I occasionally got the sense that my direct input (at meetings, etc.) was squashed. I didn't have any delusions that my manager knew what he was doing, so I did what I was told. But every once in a while I'd offer up something only to have it shot down pretty much right away. Still, it was not my responsibility to manage, so I left well enough alone and they did fine without implementing my suggestions. Maybe they just weren't that useful....

Continue to trust your people and take care of them as you did with me and others.

Busy Allied Health Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, team work, and diversity. Pay and benefits are above average. Value in going home knowing you are contributing to a good cause.

Cons

Matrix organization. Constantly being pulled between different priorities. The person dictating the workload usually isn't the same person with the control of the resources. Periods of extreme burnout and frustration. All part of working through a major change in the industry though.

Keep pushing standardization. Involve frontline staff more in project planning. If your going to burn certain jobs as part of strategic reprioritization, a slight raise for those picking up the slack would be nice. Overall, keep up the good work. It is a great place to work, and great things are being accomplished.

Mayo Clinic Photos