Mazda North American Operations Reviews

Jim O'Sullivan

1. Just posting a temp review

Current Employee - Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great. It is a place to contribute and grow with your department. There are many opportunities to create your own success.

Cons

Career opportunities could be better. No education reimbursement is something I think about when wanting to do more for the company.

Advice to Management

Bring back education reimbursement. Add additional hands-on training or offer to pay for work-related training. Create opportunities for cross-functional training opportunities.

Anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay Company Lease Program Time-off major holidays

Cons

Miscommunication Company has no direction in place Horrible company structure Management doesn't articulate well with their employees Hard to promote within the company

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees when there is a problem at hand. There's a major distance when it comes to upper hand management and their employees. The communication level of upper hand management is below poor. MNAO is a very small company so it's hard to get promoted from within. Favoritism is definitely at hand with this company. It's all about who's butt you kiss in order to succeed with getting elevated in the company. Definitely a bunch of politics here.

3. Very nice, collaborative group.

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Mazda North American Operations as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice and fun people, flexible schedule, fun projects. People were very passionate about work and collaboration was key. We did have some BBQ's in the back lot to celebrate 'occasions'.

Cons

I value my time at the company but it was too short to have any bad things to say about the company.

It's Not What You Know But Who You know

Current Employee - Anonymous in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice products, Employee Vehicle Lease Program, Benefits

Cons

Pay is low. Upward mobility is non existent. The only people I saw move up happened to have close relations with upper management, and received privileged opportunities . There is limited transparency between job titles and responsibilities. Outdated equipment results in a need to use utilize personal items for daily activities. Lots of smoke and mirrors to justify preferential treatment/ benefits to a select few. Very cliquey work atmosphere.

6. Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, money for a company lease, medical, etc. The pay is not high, but it is in the ballpark for a given position. In general, the lower your position level, the better the pay is relative to other jobs. The bonuses more than make up for the lower pay and the company never changes the goal if it looks as if it will be met. If anything they give a larger bonus if the goal is exceeded. If you don't meet the goal, you get a reduced bonus, not zero.

Cons

Leadership is lacking, everything is reactive and rarely proactive. There is a huge disconnect between management and reality.

Advice to Management

Go talk to employees. The MC CEO toured the MNAO facilities and talked to employees. Why is that not true of the US executives? What's up with that? Don't take middle management's word for it, go walk "the factory floor" now and then.

Great Culture, CEO is very approachable

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/work life family balance/nice bonuses/excellent car program

Cons

There's a couple more people that should have been encouraged to take the package offered 2 years ago. A couple people are allowed to sour work relationships because they've been there awhile and kiss up to the higher ups. Also our advertising spend has jumped big time. We need relevant commercials though. Not Mia Ham, Bruce Lee, and Duran Duran. We could learn from Toyota, Buick, and Kia.

Advice to Management

Give decent merits to folks that get it done! Additionally, look outside the box more often.

It was a great, rewarding experience.

Current Intern - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great project Manager, always helped and addressed any questions and issues I had.

Cons

Not much desire for innovation and improvement.

Advice to Management

Be willing to improve any current processes, need change.

Building Phase

Current Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great Benefits (Car allowance, twice a year bonus, early release during the summer), They are still building up from their last round of lay offs a few years ago and it's a good chance to get your foot in and move forward.

Cons

There is a weird underlying "thing" i can't put my finger on. Between the people who have been around through the lay off and the new people. A lot of job protecting and people aren't willing to work together for fear they might get the axe!

Advice to Management

Work on opening up the communication between all of the departments. Especially between the Japanese side and American side. Be more flexible to change.

Good benefits but lazy company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Friday summer hours, car allowance, casual dress code.

Cons

Management not held accountable. If sales aren't tracking to objectives, they adjust objectives down to meet sales. When layoffs come the hard working lower level staff is easily let go but its the top management team which continues to make the same mistakes time after time. This is why Mazda makes no improvements in their performance. Profits for Mazda is macroeconomic based. Since the Yen is weak profits are up. It's a false sense of security.

Ok place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The design is good. Good people to work with. Great car benefits and is conveniently located.

Cons

Growth in Mazda is relatively slow or none. Another problem is that the salary is not considered high, compared to other makers. Not too many opportunities.

Advice to Management

Too many managers and not enough of the workers to get the job done. Mazda Japan should focus efforts to help Mazda US, not force layoffs and buyouts.

RSS Feed </> Embed