Mazuma Credit Union

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
4.0

Rob Givens

Terrific culture and nice laid back atmosphere.

Current Employee - Loan Solutions Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Solutions Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mazuma Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, good atmosphere, concerned about health.

Cons

None, very satisfied with the company.

Train newer managers more as they become managers.

This was a great place to work for several years. Management changed and then everything kind of went bad.

I worked at Mazuma Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most coworkers were good at their job and nice people. Benefits are quite good all around. I was given good opportunities to advance.

Cons

When I first started and for several years I really enjoyed working at Mazuma. I was able to learn a lot in my position and management at the time gave me some great opportunities to grow my career and learn more. However the last year or so that I worked there several changes came down the pipeline from the new CEO/management that have caused problems and turned my work experience from great to poor.

There was a huge push to be service oriented(a good thing) and become happy, outgoing employees. This on the outside doesn't seem bad but some of the changes they made and how they went about it was just terrible. Part of this change was modifying requirements for new hires which makes sense considering this new change. Not at all a bad thing, but the primary requirements became new hires need to be outgoing and fun loving. This requirement over all others. This is the really bad part. We started getting several hires and promotions that made no sense. We started getting people who had no idea what they were doing and were incapable of doing their job. Even training for a lot of these people did not help. But it didn't matter because they were "happy people" and happy people make our members happy. These incapable employees put a huge strain on the rest of the people in the department to make up for these people and caused all kinds of stress issues for me(and I know it did for others as well). Along with this management "wanted us to know what the new hiring process was like". So everyone was forced to re-interview for their job. Maybe they actually did want us to see this process, but it came off as we want to reinterview everyone to verify they meet our new criteria. This increased the amount of negativity among employees but also increased the fake happiness everyone was putting on for management.

So with this push to be happy and outgoing just the general feeling around the office changed. People were trying to put their best I'M SO HAPPY look up and talking to people became weird. Everything just felt really fake, because it was. People were unhappy but you can't be, cause that's not what Mazuma is about! We want happy people and if your not happy GET OUT. I didn't realize it until I changed jobs but being in a place where you can just be yourself and be real with your coworkers and customers is 1000x better than what I had to deal with here.

There's plenty more to these changes and the negative effects but hopefully this gives you an idea. The new CEO and management he has brought in unfortunately seems to be dead set on all this change so I don't expect it to get better. They also seem to have a very if you don't like it get out attitude which comes across very negative. I started getting very angry when they started doing this(even though it wasn't necessarily aimed at me, I just though it was very brutish and ugly) when I would work so hard for them and then during team meetings all I would get to hear is how things are changing and if you don't like it get out. Fortunately I did eventually get out and was able to realize just how bad and unhappy I was. I do appreciate everything Mazuma did to help me over the years but I would never recommend this workplace to someone as it is now. It might fit for you if you are normally super happy and outgoing but even then with everything that goes on, I don't know.

Make sure you hire people who are actually capable of doing their job instead of just hiring cause they smile and like to have fun. I don't know if you realize the amount of extra work you are putting on your employees who are actually good at their job. Also try not to be too hard on the get out if you don't like it attitude. I understand the change being made and they want everyone to go with it but if you push it like you did while I was there I wanted to do anything but. I don't think I was the target of this attitude necessarily, as I was generally a positive person around everyone. It still caused me to dislike management for how they were treating people though.

Laid back atmosphere with average skilled coworkers

I worked at Mazuma Credit Union

Pros

Slightly above average performance will make you shine here compared to the skill levels of the average employee

Cons

Below market pay for the banking/financial services industry

Good working environment, decent pay

Former Employee - Member Service Representative (Teller)
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative (Teller)

I worked at Mazuma Credit Union full-time

Pros

Lots of employee recognition, good 401K program, opportunity to advance or move around

Cons

Turnover, office politics (like any other company)

They buy what the sell

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Mazuma Credit Union

Pros

Management at all levels that I encountered were very up beat and professional. They really do buy into the credit union way of business, with passion.

Very fluid culture. Due in large part to the ease of access to feedback mechanisms .

They care about their members (customers), and they're constantly trying to make the business process better.

Cons

Poor experiences with Human Resources leadership.

Keep growing that footprint.