Mbira Technologies

Updated August 18, 2014
2.2

Mark Schoenhals
1 Rating

Great place to work as an active Chicago musician.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mbira Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Friendly and Like-Minded co-workers
    -Room for growth in the company
    -Incredible employee discount
    -Insurance Benefits
    -Good/ flexible hours
    -If you have a show and need someone to cover a shift its not a problem.
    -Well organized day-to-day objectives/ expectations
    -Build your knowledge of gear
    -Extremely nice supervisors (contrary to previous reviews)
    -I had some heath issues right when I started, I was a new employee and ended up missing about 1 month at first and then 3-4 months later that year. During my first stay in the hospital I got a card personally signed with little messages from every single employee and a prepaid gift card. I barely knew anyone there and this made me feel like I was part of a team, and that despite my lack of time with the company, I was highly valued.

Cons

-I honestly cant think of a fair con against working here. I get the impression that some of the other review were written by former employees who were upset. They make what seem to be some valid points, however, in my experience such issues have never presented themselves.

Keep it up, you know what your doing and do it well.

Mbira does not care about its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mbira Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, sweet discount, decent work/life balance.

Cons

The call center manager will actively block you from advancing to another department if he'd rather you stay in the call center. There's definitely favoritism going on- only people who are disliked get disciplined. Pay is abysmal. They only care about sales numbers and hours worked, rather than the quality service you're giving.

Try treating your call center employees like human beings if you want to fix your turnover rate.

Nit Picking Pseudo Professionals

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mbira Technologies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Gear at Cost
    -Somewhat flexible hours if you willing to endure threats of getting your hours cut

Cons

-Passive aggressive management style. The company is basically run by a bunch of overgrown children who are pissed they are managing a call center and make up for it by taking the job too seriously.
    -Imagine a write up which can be for literally anything Management doesn't like with no sort of documentation as to what will get you a write up in the future, then after the write up management just pretends like it never happened and you're just all cool, until you get another write up.
    -What is 'unprofessional' for one person is okay for another person provided they are in with management
    -Multiple times in the write up process I was written up for things I didn't actually do.
    -Bonus structure creates and adverse incentive to take as many calls as possible as quickly as possible leading to errors which can lead to write ups.
    -Write ups are the only form of discipline and or correction on the job. After or before being written up expect little to no feedback on job performance.
    -Be prepared for cliquey environment where there is no process for applying for openings in high positions people are just chosen. At least in the call center.
    -Management in the call center seems very insecure in their authority. If you you get said write up, there is no opportunity for you to contest it. Managements favorite phrase is "Why are you arguing with me," Ideally in professional environments you can speak your mind to management while being respectful and they will listen to you. These kids are too worried about perceived insubordination that they immediately become defensive.

-Act and treat your employees like adults.
    -Learn to take criticism
    -Document what will get some one written up
    -Overly scrutinizing the way your employees work is not professional.
    -Accept that your a call center manager and quit with the toxic attitude - you know who I'm talking about.

Best customer service job for fake musicians in Chicago

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Online Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mbira Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If I would've lasted about 60 more days I could have bought a deluxe tele for $700 off. But ebay does exist so I guess that's not much of a pro. There's coffee all the time and a toaster oven in the kitchen which I appreciate. Toaster oven doesn't work very well though. The girls who have classes below the office are very pretty and the view from the windows is very nice. I enjoyed talking to the customers. The work is fine and enjoyable, it's the system and the culture of the office that is way messed up.

Cons

It's an incredibly confusing and frustrating place to work. Supervisors are passive-aggressive. Exact quote- 'Do you have any more questions? (No I think that covers it) Ok, good. Let us know if you have any questions.' Communication with supervisors goes through instant messengers on your computer meaning about 75% of what you're trying to say gets lost in translation, its very very difficult to communicate effectively. They will get irritated if you do try to talk to them face-to-face. You can get questions answered, you will not, however, get a reason for the issue or an explanation of the policy to help you remember why it is so. I signed a paper saying I was a very poor employee after making mistakes in their system. That's the solution. No explanations , just discipline and being cold so you don't talk to them.

HR does not answer their phone and won't return your calls if you have questions or need anything pertaining to your pay or other information.

There are two or three women who work here out of 70-80 employees. Very testosterone-fueled and anti-social environment. If you see someone you don't know in the kitchen and you say hi to them they're going to give you a confused and scared look and respond if you're lucky. I talked to one of the lead supervisors exactly twice in two months. Once for my interview and once when he fired me.

Billed as non-commission (wink wink) but it is. When you're a new employee you can't train with a real person because that would interrupt the commission system. Instead you're trained in a classroom for a week and a half and then expected to remember every minute detail after its over or be disciplined.

A lot of strange stuff happens on the computers with orders while you are talking to customers. The system they use is outdated and when something goes weird and you have to ask a supervisor their usual response is to get angry, blame you for the issue, and not give a clear explanation as to why the problem is happening. There are several departments in the office and due to the culture when you ask someone in another dept a question they take it as if you're insulting them and wasting their time. Supervisors will also direct you to the company FAQ wiki which is very poorly organized, hasn't been updated since 2010 or 2011, and more often than not will only answer half of your question.

Nothing I listed here occurred as an isolated incident, I'm putting everything in this reoccurring tense because these are every day happenings within the company.

Don't hire ten people if you're only going to keep five.

If you're going to train new employees, do it in a way that actually works.

If you hire a bright, alert, driven, punctual, knowledgeable person, and they don't have a complete sparkling knowledge of your system after two weeks working, maybe, just maybe, its not entirely their fault, and there's a bigger systemic issue.

Look people in the eyes while you fire them instead of staring at the ground.

Mbira prefers quantity not quality

I worked at Mbira Technologies

Pros

Fellow work staff is generally nice and full of interesting people. Discount on product is great. The location is easy to get to with public transportation with lots of great lunch options around.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Even with a generous employee discount you can't afford to buy anything. They are very particular about clocking in and out exactly at the right time. A few minutes of overtime or one minute late and you will have a conversation with your boss. How many customers you help is more important than how well you help an individual customer.

Not a bad place to begin your career

I have been working at Mbira Technologies full-time

Pros

- exposure to lots of facets of the company
    - low stress / good work life balance

Cons

- not much room for advancement outside of call center staffing
    - needs more clearly defined roles

- better communication of expectations