McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros:
  • "Work life balance - you know what that means :) Little work and less pay"
    in 59 reviews
  • "You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "and IDC lost it's mojo with many senior management folks moving away"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pushy sales environment without talented leadership

Moscow (Russia)

I worked at McAfee full-time

ProsThey pay reasonably well, that's about it.

Cons- Top management is a gang of overly arrogant US-centric teenagers who know nothing about business development and specifically international expansions;
- The arrogant pushy revenue-driven culture is cascaded top down every day. The hierarchy is strict - you either obey or you're out.
- McAfee is very cost savvy, and this is the reason they have just a few people doing the work of hundreds. Crazy overtime.
- The president of EMEA is a jerk who shouts at employees using dirty words;
- The company CEO is a person without any relevant education or leadership talent but with very high self-esteem (not grounded at all).
- If you're developing business in a certain geogra[hy, forget about budgets and investments - they'll expect you to run around and do all the dirty work yourself, basically be the "fixer" for everything.
- No performance appraisal, no salary indexation, very non-transparent bonus schemes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get an MBA and a behaviour training.

Learned a lot, but that's about it

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat technology, learning experiences, working with many teams, stable company.

ConsUnfortunately, there is a laundry list of reasons to not work at McAfee and they all have to do with the people. Management is tyrannical, upper management only sees numbers and wants to ship jobs overseas, there is an unhealthy environment of competition among peers, instead of a healthy environment of working together as a team. The salary for any job is lower than market. At the same time there is a lot of work, which means long hours every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and assess where the talent is, invest in that talent and you will end up with quality products that customers want to buy and keep. Remove the dictators and bring in true leaders who know how to foster positive team environments where employees are excited about their jobs, drive innovation and quality, and enjoy going to work. The effect of this will also be quality products that customers want to keep and buy.

Tier II technical support engineer

Tier II Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Salary but lot of variables

ConsEverything else...Appliance support team is having hopeless work environment...no insight...no proper planning for any support team..

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do some homework before making change in support team. don't make change for the sake of change...

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very drab place to work

I have been working at McAfee

ProsNice, friendly, helpful co-workers. Nothing else really positive about working here. Good car parking spaces, clean environment, nice cafe

ConsTerrible management. Were put into a small room, cramped with 20 people, no windows and desks shoulder-to-shoulder length size.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better, change some of your management.

focus on sales, not helping customers

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEngineers are motivated to do the right thing, protect the customers. Pleasant working environment, nice people.

ConsLack of coordination across the products results in customers paying for a lot of separate features that don't work together and actually provide the promised protection. Focus on short-term profitability makes it impossible to invest in major R&D and deep technology innovation that will help to protect against current or future threats.

Advice to Senior ManagementBite the bullet and invest in innovation. Right now you're not a security company, you're a commodity product company that builds a security product. To actually provide security in this fast-changing age, you have to change your culture to accept more risk.

work environment did not suited my liking. The management could not handle the pressure from top & released it on junior

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at McAfee full-time for less than a year

Prosthe campus is good with so many other companies & other people.

Conshectic work schedule & unrealistic deadlines from manager.

In LTAM poor interest for people and customer

Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsModern offices, good salaries, excellent products and solutions, good marketing share. sales tools are appropriate, support of sales operations are good

ConsIn LTAM: Nothing of open communication, zero interest of people, customer first are unknown words, zero strategical planning, too much operational work

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to put more interest at people, the way you treat your employees is the way they will treat your customers

not a great employer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

Pros- well planned and managed releases
- enjoyable work
- little work pressure
- flexibility in terms of hours

Cons- too much in the hands of manager
- lethargic HR !!
- politics, regionalism, nepotism, favouritism (only if you are at the receiving end)

Advice to Senior Management- no use

Jack of All Trades

London, England (UK)

I worked at McAfee for more than 3 years

Pros- People are genuinely collaborative and caring
- Some great products
- A clear technical strategy

Cons- The clear technical strategy is unreachable without a significant investment in additional technical staff
- Little consideration given for work/life balance
- Very low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in the strategy of acquisition, or factor into it the need to increase the sales + technical resources needed turn acquisitions into successful revenue generators without neglecting the existing portfolio of products.

Company Review

I have been working at McAfee

ProsGood company.
Learn a lot

ConsLack of growth opportunity, No opportunity to turn in a full-time afterwards

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!

McAfee Videos

McAfee – Why Work for Us?

At McAfee, we’re obsessed about keeping the world safe from the dangers in the digital world. Focused on innovation and cutting-edge research, we look for smart, committed people to help us defend the world against the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McAfee reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McAfee CEO Michael DeCesare. All 409 reviews posted anonymously by McAfee employees.