McAfee Reviews

Reset

Pretty Good - Depending on Which Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Now that Intel is absorbing McAfee into their company culture, many things may change, but when I was there: - Benefits were great. - Company culture was fantastic. Everybody was professional. - Amazing food at the cafeteria. - Great focus on helping employees grow professionally. - I also happen to have one of the best managers I've ever worked for. - In my case, fantastic work/life balance. - You feel like your opinion counts and that your leadership is listening.

Cons

- Insane corruption at the middle and upper management levels. It's not that individual contributors were treated poorly, it's that there were 3 managers per every individual contributor. Basically, imagine a reverse pyramid. Some departments might have a tree that looks like this: Senior Director, Director, 2 Managers, 2 Project Manager, 1 low level employee. - The weather of your department changes with every new VP. The company could spend millions working on developing a system. VP would get replaced, and the system would be thrown out the window, with another multi-million dollar project on the way. Then, before that project would be finished, the VP would get replaced again, and the dance would start all over again. - I am going to get labeled as a prejudiced person here, but here goes: Many individuals who work at McAfee are clearly still following the old caste system and the belief that men are superior to women. This is what I saw and it was disgusting to watch. If you are a woman and you find yourself in a department with a certain population that has a long history of having a caste system, you will probably have a very difficult time succeeding or getting recognized for your efforts. The discrimination isn't everywhere, but it sure is rampant. Call me a racist all you want. This is what I witnessed. - Emails, emails, emails. 50 emails on a slow day. Hundreds of emails on a busy day. - All the cars bake in the sun, but that's a minor complaint.

Just OK

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee full-time

Pros

No longer good place to work

Cons

Too much nepotism and no values for fair work

Advice to Management

Do not let hardworking employees go.

3. Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Great learning experience for a Novice

Cons

Not many opportunities to convert to Full-Time

5. Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Free drinks at workplace, nice co-workers.

Cons

Management is really bad. Software engineer manager doesn't know anything about software design and rely heavily on his staff to understand the design. Software director plays too many roles in the group, i.e. director + architecture + manager.

Advice to Management

Split the work to appropriate people and provide opportunities for employees to learn and grow.

6. Technical lead

I have been working at McAfee full-time

Pros

Good Product, Good work culture,

Cons

Not the best in the industry

5 1/2 years

Former Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World's largest dedicated security technology company so opportunities are available depending on one's experience and background. Able to build great relationships across teams. Solid benefits. I truly enjoyed my work in Sales Operations.

Cons

Purchased by Intel Corporation several years ago McAfee name going away as the McAfee "integration into Intel" process will be complete by July 1. I was one of approximately 400 McAfee employees not making the cut which was disappointing to say the least. Only reason given was "budget and not your performance." My manager had previously been told that our team would go forward intact so which management made the decision and how was it determined .. McAfee or Intel?

Advice to Management

Always be as honest and upfront with your employees as possible. Make the time to check on your teams no matter how high up the chain you are ... it will show you at least seem to care about them. Encourage their growth but also be their advocate.

8. Good work culture

Pros

Pay well in santa clara area

Cons

benefits not good for bay area

9. “Great place to work, but no opportunities”

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Company provided free sodas, coffee, donuts on Fridays.

Cons

Limited advancement with in the company.

Advice to Management

Need to put more structure into the career growth/development process.

10. Good Overall

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Overall the people are very friendly and approachable. Very laid back and comfortable atmosphere. Office setting is nicely furnaced and a nice environment to work at.

Cons

Lots of red tape you have to go through in advancing your career or if you need anything type of resource.

11. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at McAfee (More than a year)

Pros

Nice environment to work. Salary is good

Cons

Should have more benefits to empoyees

RSS Feed </> Embed