McAfee

McAfee Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros
  • Promotes work-life balance - Remote work is often encouraged for FTEs (in 67 reviews)

• You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Some times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights
61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This is a nice company to work with. Great opportunities, and friendly team members. Company is highly competitive.

Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prospersonal growth, brand value, work-life balance.

Constechnical knowledge required for even managerial roles

Ok to Work

Business Intelligence Intern (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFlexible atmosphere. Lots to learn and enjoy.

ConsPay is OK, Not much employee benefits

Generally No Worse Than Any Other Large Company But Realize It Is A Large Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsWork At Home Flexibility In Some Business Units Depending On Role & Manager
    Always Something Going On & Changing Your Day Will Feel Like 10 Minutes Long
    Fair Pay, Good Benefits etc
    Great people to work with.

ConsCan be a bit bureaucratic when trying to get something done.
    Like other companies constantly doing more with less leaving staff strained feeling unsuccessful.
    Upper management seems to not know what really is happening in the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to do something, plan it and provide the resources to ensure it is successful.
    While our colleagues in India are an enormous asset, you rely too much on overseas labor resulting in timezone issues. A better mix globally would be appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good prospect for full timers

Project Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsPromotes work-life balance - Remote work is often encouraged for FTEs.

ConsCost Cutting measures often lead to reorganizations among vendors whereas FTEs are more secure.

Disaligned management make McAfee a tough sell right now

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere is some work life balance but that really depends on the team and dept you are in. The cafe has decent food, they have seemed to attract SOME very smart people. Their benefits are competitive, the workspace nice and great parking!

ConsSerious lack of growth within the company, relatively no opportunity for upward mobility which can wreak havoc on one's career. The leadership team has serious issues and overall is very weak and not aligned, some recent changes may change that but nothing yet. Some old bad management ways are still in effect and overall morale is low. Compensation package overall is NOT competitive with the valley but even that seems to change depending on what dept you are in and who your supervisor is. If I could rate a 2.5 I would

Advice to Senior ManagementSome major change needs to happen to prevent the wheels from falling off the cart, and this is not happening fast enough. Execs need to agree on the direction and focus of the company

Decent place to work

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsMcAfee offers benefits which are at par with some of the well known companies in valley. Very good company culture. There are some talented folks.

ConsToo much of bureaucracy and vastly distributed teams in some groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire people with fresh perspective and affinity towards products.

take a job here if you are Unemployed!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsMcAfee is a company that offers free parking and free sodas to employees.

ConsMcAfee is a place to go to die or to go if you're unemployed--that was my excuse. The company is filled with "lifers" who have put in years and years. Quite uncommon in the valley so you should take this as a red flag! People managers have $0 budgets for development. In the entire time I have been here, not once have I attended a meeting (staff, extended staff, all-hands, etc.) that included a speaker from outside of McAfee or Intel. This is called inbreeding. This is what's going to kill McAfee.

Least capable get promoted. Remember that when you see someone's resume who was a director or a VP. The people who are changing things who are creative and paradigm-shattering come in and leave jaded usually under 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people
    Allow your people more latitude to complete their jobs
    Change meeting structures from status reports and top-down communications to more creative, problem solving and down-to-top communications

Great Experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsYour weaknesses become your strengths. I became very competent at the tasks I was assigned.

ConsThere are cliques within the office, I had a creepy boss, and the work can be very repetitive. The intern program is not built out as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for interns, and get up to speed with what's popular in the Silicon Valley. That will attract the right set of employees.

Research Consultant

Research Contractor (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe employees, projects, and office

ConsNot always being informed of state of company

Good space, but fragmented products

Director (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsReally good cause, "protecting people".
    Pays well, if you negotiate hard. Good bonus program, has paid out fairly consistently

ConsHard place to work. A company of acquisitions that run very independently. Getting better, but a long ways to go for all to have the same compass needle pointing in the same direction.
    Intel assimilation being accelerated, looking for synergies now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the brand story, and communicate where/how the company needs to change to meet Intel operating margin goals..it will be tough and require much top line growth, or paring down, or both.

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!