McCabe, Weisberg & Conway

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
1.9

Terrence McCabe

great place to get training right out of school

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

decent pay, great experience for college grad

Cons

could use a morale boost

A terrible experience in Litigation. If you are desperate for low pay, no perks and zero flexibility--you'll love it!!

Former Employee - Paralegal in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Phila, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are located in Center City, Philadelphia.
    Because of trouble with employee retention, they are always hiring.
    You get a free company mug on your first day.
    They try to boost your ego to make you feel special for being selected for a position.

Cons

I resigned from my position; it would have been more productive for me to sit at home and do nothing. The worst time that I have experienced in the workplace.

Benefits are unreasonable in comparison to pay.
    Hours require 8/day, not including lunch, so be prepared to put in 9 hours, if you want an hour long lunch break. 8.5 for a half hour.
    PTO/Holidays are practically non-existent.
    Office is dirty and very old, except public areas that outsiders might see.
    Office Equipment - Very old; my computer needed to be serviced several times, very often, but no one attempted to replace it.
    No SOPs or actual employee training. Everyone does things differently, so if you are lucky enough to have anything explained to you, everyone explains things differently. If you are looking to work with little to no guidance, this is the place to you. Expect to be thrown into the deep end and pressured to get things done that you have not been trained to do.
    Low pay.
    Unprofessional - Profane language used very loudly by peers and superiors. Also, while I wore slacks, some wore jeggings. Quality of the other employees proved that their hiring process is not very selective.

Training and SOPs would be helpful.
    Employee retention has nothing to do with your paralegals passing the bar, they leave the firm because it's a terribly, unprofessional environment.

Worst job ever!

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing about this company is positive

Cons

If you don't mind wearing leggings, sweats, and ghetto attire this job is for you.
    If you enjoy doing the same task everyday for 8 hours a day this job is for you.
    If you don't want to grow or challenge yourself this job is for you.
    This law firm is a foreclosure mill where the only way to survive is throwing people under the bus and sucking up to management.
    The pay is awful compared to the amount of work(boring and monotonous) that is given.
    You get written up for clocking in four minutes late, you get a 30 minute lunch break.
    They hire people that lack professionalism and reward people that slack off.
    The biggest mistake was accepting this job and taking a pay cut. NEVER AGAIN!

You need to reward your staff. Give them bonuses, incentives, raises, and thank them for a job well done.

Save yourself!!!! Run far away!!!

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Leesburg, VA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly there are not any.

Cons

This company is horrible! I don't know how they are still in business. The worst part is that ALL of their offices are the same! Previous reviews have covered their strict rules that aren't applied evenly to everyone. Don't be more than 3 minutes late or stay late because after 3 times you will be written up. Also, God forbid you get sick without PETO hours because you'll also get written up for that! The managing attorney at the office claims she doesn't want a "high school drama" atmosphere (she said that in the interview) yet she goes into her office with her favorites just so they can talk about people. She loves gossip and will tell her favorites information on who she thinks is not doing well or who she is planning on firing. She promotes people who kiss her butt and snitch on coworkers and gives them raises (they brag about it). The funny thing is they usually tell the whole office what she says behind her back. Don't trust anyone because they will stab you in the back for a 50 cent raise. If you are looking for a job at a law firm don't apply here. You will not get any useful legal experience that will be helpful in future jobs. It is an unprofessional place with mind numbing boring work. Their turnover rate is horrible because no one lasts there more than a year unless they're bffs with their supervisors and don't mind the mediocre work at best. Before I left they had started to hire people with no office experience because they weren't getting any interest from true professionals. Most people would decline their job offers because the salary is extremely low and the company has a horrible reputation. Honestly, I knew I had made a mistake as soon as I started working there. That job was just a lesson on what a horrible job atmosphere is. I now have a great job that pays me double what they did. If you have any doubt don't take the job! You will be much better off in the long run!

Stop with the strict rules. Give managers a course on professionalism. Take care of your employees.

Not worth consideration unless you're unemployed.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Laurel, MD

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively loose hiring standards. They'll hire people whose only previous experience is retail or restaurant service. This is good if you're in that position currently, but bad if you'd be coming from a real job with a decent atmosphere. This could also be a good job if you just want to "punch a clock" and go home at the end of the day. MWC has set schedules, everyone works the same hours every day and there is generally very little overtime expected (no overtime for over 90% of employees). My advice to prospective employees is this: If you really aren't sure if you could cut it with the MWC policies people have described in these reviews, just ask at your interview. The worst thing would be to show up the first day just assuming you'd be OK with the work atmosphere.

Cons

Policies are absurdly anti-family and inflexible. For example, in an age when many professional employers pride themselves on making reasonable accommodations for working parents, MWC's strict policies mean that if your child is sick and needs to stay home from school one day, you'll probably need to be dropping him off at daycare or a friend's house at 7:30 am because you won't be able to stay home like most parents would. That's just one example--the big picture is that MWC is run like a Walmart or Burger King behind the scenes. The computer tracking system is "interesting" (tracks all the work you do and keeps you from using the internet for any personal reason at all). You have to punch in and out everyday using a thumb print scanner, which helps MWC track if you're ever late by more than 3 minutes and makes sure you never get overtime for clocking in early or clocking out late; you also have to clock out for lunch and they keep tabs on people who go to the bathroom too much.

It is also worth pointing out that if you look for another job while you're at MWC, it will be hard to use MWC as a reference at all. The attorneys have been instructed to: a) not give references, b) tell the partners anytime it appears an employee is looking for another job, and c) redirect all reference inquiries to the appointed HR person, who will only confirm that you work there, not give a positive reference. You can't imagine how frustrating it is to get another job while working at MWC. It's also (purposely) hard to take a day off to do an interview. Say you find out about a Wednesday interview on a Monday. It's too late to request a personal day--MWC wants that further in advance. So you just have to call in sick, so my advice is to not take sick days when you're actually sick, but save them for interviews, because you don't get many sick days. And get references from previous employers or find a (rare) nice manager at MWC who will discreetly give you a reference over their cell phone (can't use work line bc MWC monitors that). This is the Gospel, basically, on how to get out of MWC if you find yourself stuck there. Don't give up or get stuck, just find ways to work around the system. Smart people can do it; it's only the sheep that end up stuck at MWC for longer than about a year.

I don't really have any ideas that these people would adopt. The whole "culture" is premised on a cynical and myopic worldview where they market themselves to clients by doing high volumes of low-priced work, so they sort of need to maintain the sweatshop atmosphere, as opposed to how large successful law firms operate by charging for high-quality, novel work product.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Accounting in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are willing to work for your money then you will do great! There are tons of things to learn and the company is willing to teach you as much as you want. Get starter job and the employees are fun. Partners are personable and easy to talk to!

Cons

The pay isn't the best and there tends to be a ton of work to do. But who can complain when they offer overtime?

Great opportunity for someone who just graduated college, and would like to learn more about foreclosures and REO.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Phila, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Gain new skills (such as communication, negotiation, time management, problem solving, investigation, and organization).
    - Since there is a high turn over rate, it is easy to standout if you are willing to work hard and learn fast.
    - Great work environment at the Philadelphia Office - quiet, collaborative, fast paced.
    - Great place to start if your fresh out of college, and would like to start a career within law.

Cons

- Not much opportunity for growth, unless your team leader steps down.
    - The clients can be very demanding, difficult and rude, so you need a high tolerance.
    - No bonuses, incentives, rewards or recognition. The environment can also be very stressful, high pressure.
    - Due to the clients being so demanding, the office has a strict policy in which if there is severe weather (like a snow storm), then employees are not allowed to take off. Also you need approval in order to take the holidays off since we are always open. You can only take two - three holidays off during the year.

The jobs' itself can be very stressfully and demanding (not to mention the strict attendance policy mentioned in the cons), therefore you should reward your hard working employees with more than just a rise or banquets. Give rewards, bonuses, or commissions. Especially if you want to reduce the turn over rate.

Fine for Entry-Level

Current Employee - Paralegal in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hiring process is not very selective, so there are many entry-level opportunities for young people starting out in the workforce. There is opportunity for advancement if you're ready to work hard, and my experiences with the Managing Partners and Associate Attorneys are largely positive.

Cons

There is a very high turn-over rate, which makes it difficult to have stability. Many departments are stretched too thin and employees are expected to take on more and more work without increased pay or other incentives. Firm has also restricted overtime, so it does not feel as though employees are appropriately compensated for the value of work. Other reviews have touched on the strict attendance policies, but I think that's par for the course at a law firm. Benefits package and 401k matching are lousy.

Offer pay that is commensurate to the workload and make overtime available for employees who are expected to take on responsibilities that fall outside of their job description. Dollar raffles and "Holiday Week" will not achieve much to boost morale if your employees feel that they are undervalued.

I was the lead Paralegal for the Connecticut office of McCabe, Weisberg & Conway, PC.

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway

Pros

The beast reason to work at MWC, was the opportunity for hands on learning in an extremely demanding environment. It was there that I was thrown into the heart of litigation, with the expectation that I would learn and conquer.

Cons

The only challenge I recall is the need for more communication between the managerial staff and the employees.

I feel that if a company is willing to hire inexperienced employees with the intent of transforming them into the employees they want them to be, a strong training program should be established.

Unprofessionalism at its BEST

Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing good can be said

Cons

Far to many complaints to list. First and foremost the managers are a joke and bull around all day gossiping. There is no leadership or guidance and they way they evaluate you proformance is by the amount of clicks on the computer, thereby having thee most ridiculous entries. It is a MILL!!! Stay Away!!!!!!

Your all a big joke and the ONLY time they attempt to direction is when a certain bank wants more productivity -- everything else falls to the side to concentrate ONLY on the one bank that has issues.