McCarthy Building

Add Photos

McCarthy Building Chairman and CEO Mike Bolen

Mike Bolen

Team based company

ProsESOP, 401K, Great Employees, Great Atmosphere at the job sites.

ConsJob site personnel definitely commit more than the office side. that is a standard of the industry it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe keep winning best places to work in different divisions, but it seems to always be for the people in the office. Make it better for the people at the job sites.

All in.

Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEmployee ownership drives the culture as well as the policies and procedures. Abundant with talent, leadership and motivated workers. Open door policies, financial and operational transparency, sense of ownership and responsibility at all levels of the company drives US to always do the best we can.

ConsNone that aren't shared with every other GC in the ENR top 100. If you're expecting 40-50 hours, there's a spot for you, but you're not going to be recognized for that. To get the most out of your time at this company you need to be in it for the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the grunts. Get to know the boots on the ground just as well as the senior PMs. Cost - cutting measures shouldn't start with the guys/gals working in the field, it should be shared equally by eliminating some of the more frivolous expenses in divisional offices. Make sure your field staff are happy and balanced, or pay double to replace them when they leave.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fulfilling work with good leaders who care about the success of their people.

Estimator (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsSalary, ESOP, 401k, Benefits, Etc. Family environment.

ConsChallenging industry, constant struggle to maintain balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for - a little bit of a generation gap it seemed

Project Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI was always very busy and was given challenging work that allowed me to really think
    Everyone seems to look out for you if you do a good job and don't act like a big shot
    Great compensation and always looking for new ways to innovate in the company's operations

ConsSeemed like a bit of a divide in the culture of the older folks and myself as an intern

It's a great company to work for with competitive salary if you work 40hrs like the office staff!

ProsUpper management such as project managers are great I couldn't ask for better people! They are not afraid to let slackers go and they are always willing to help.

Other than my negative comments they have condos you can use after being there 5 years.

ConsIf you're signing on to work in the field be prepared to work daylight to dusk plus early concrete pours 6 days a week on salary. 10 hour days if your lucky normally around 12 long days around 15-17hrs. They get you in with what sounds to be a nice salary then hit you with 65hr work weeks on average.

That means if you're making 100k which most 85% aren't you should be marking +\- $48hr but take the average work week of 65 hrs and you're making around $30. That's about 61k a year at 40hrs. So if you're getting an offer for 50-60k you might as well be a laborer they at least get over time!

With that said if you have a family this place will be difficult on your family, you won't get to see much of your kids if you do its when they are sleeping when you leave or sleeping when you get home. If you plan on going to their games good luck. If you're young and enjoy going out this is going to be difficult on you if you do get a Saturday off your going to be so tired you won't want to go out. Not to mention so behind on household chores like laundry and cleaning and grocery shopping you won't have time.

McCarthy runs off of youth because they can hire them cheap and work them to the bone because they have no experience. Everyone in the offices looks beat down and the coffee pots go all day long. When you walk into an office and see boxes stacked of coffee and cups and creamers you know you're in for a treat!

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime after 50, Vacation time after 50, some kind of incentive for working way over they 40hr salary range.

McCarthy Review

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits are so competitive that I haven't heard anything else like it in the construction industry. Stability, great salary, training is top 20 in the nation with all industries. They also offer health incentives. Overall great place to work

ConsWork/life balance is a difficult challenge. But I believe that is with any industry.

Project Engineer at a $1 Billion Federal Government Project

Project Engineer (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

Pros- Great family culture
    - Superiors are incredibly knowledgeable in construction
    - McCarthy's hands on approach really knows how to grasp a firm understanding of construction

Cons- Work life balance - get used to putting in 60-70 hour work weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementProjects are very short staffed. Hire more people!

One of the best companies that I've worked for so far!

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe family culture is out of this world, the company perks, the projects, advancement opportunities, training, shareholder parties.

ConsI would say the long hours but that comes with the territory. If you want to work a typical 9-5, this is the wrong industry for you. I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Congrats on 150 years!

Great employee owned company with an outstanding culture.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee owned, culture, benefits, hard working, and dedicated to producing the best project for the customer.

ConsWork a lot of hours

Wonderful company, small-business feel

Project Administrator (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIt was a connected network -- everyone seemed to know everyone, regardless of their position.

ConsOpportunity for growth within the company is limited.

Worked for McCarthy Building? Contribute to the Community!