McCarthy Building Reviews

Project Administrator

Former Employee - Project Administrator  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at McCarthy Building full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Takes great care of their employees. Family oriented. Great retirement and benefits. I have yet to find another GC with comparable benefits for all employees (not just Engineers and above). I enjoyed my time with McCarty and miss a lot of the people I used to work with.

Cons

Employees tend to feel like a number after a while. The family atmosphere has changed. More and more managers are being promoted that shouldn't be.

Upper management should take more time to recognize all employees and their contributions.When you have a job site team that works well together you should try to keep them together.

Great Teamwork

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at McCarthy Building full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay with great hours compare to other construction company

Cons

too many meetings with little time to do own work, which results in longer stay of the day.

healthier drinks and snacks

Employee Owned Company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at McCarthy Building full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee owned. Employer matches 401K. Rewarding and challenging work. Procedures in place for every position in company. Training seminars held regularly.

Cons

Some managers should not be managing.

Allow managers to complete assignments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Team based company

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time

Pros

ESOP, 401K, Great Employees, Great Atmosphere at the job sites.

Cons

Job site personnel definitely commit more than the office side. that is a standard of the industry it seems.

We keep winning best places to work in different divisions, but it seems to always be for the people in the office. Make it better for the people at the job sites.

All in.

Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Houston, TX

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee ownership drives the culture as well as the policies and procedures. Abundant with talent, leadership and motivated workers. Open door policies, financial and operational transparency, sense of ownership and responsibility at all levels of the company drives US to always do the best we can.

Cons

None that aren't shared with every other GC in the ENR top 100. If you're expecting 40-50 hours, there's a spot for you, but you're not going to be recognized for that. To get the most out of your time at this company you need to be in it for the long haul.

Take care of the grunts. Get to know the boots on the ground just as well as the senior PMs. Cost - cutting measures shouldn't start with the guys/gals working in the field, it should be shared equally by eliminating some of the more frivolous expenses in divisional offices. Make sure your field staff are happy and balanced, or pay double to replace them when they leave.

Fulfilling work with good leaders who care about the success of their people.

Current Employee - Estimator  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Estimator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, ESOP, 401k, Benefits, Etc. Family environment.

Cons

Challenging industry, constant struggle to maintain balance.

Great company to work for - a little bit of a generation gap it seemed

Former Employee - Project Intern
    Former Employee - Project Intern

I worked at McCarthy Building full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was always very busy and was given challenging work that allowed me to really think
    Everyone seems to look out for you if you do a good job and don't act like a big shot
    Great compensation and always looking for new ways to innovate in the company's operations

Cons

Seemed like a bit of a divide in the culture of the older folks and myself as an intern

It's a great company to work for with competitive salary if you work 40hrs like the office staff!

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time

Pros

Upper management such as project managers are great I couldn't ask for better people! They are not afraid to let slackers go and they are always willing to help.

Other than my negative comments they have condos you can use after being there 5 years.

Cons

If you're signing on to work in the field be prepared to work daylight to dusk plus early concrete pours 6 days a week on salary. 10 hour days if your lucky normally around 12 long days around 15-17hrs. They get you in with what sounds to be a nice salary then hit you with 65hr work weeks on average.

That means if you're making 100k which most 85% aren't you should be marking +\- $48hr but take the average work week of 65 hrs and you're making around $30. That's about 61k a year at 40hrs. So if you're getting an offer for 50-60k you might as well be a laborer they at least get over time!

With that said if you have a family this place will be difficult on your family, you won't get to see much of your kids if you do its when they are sleeping when you leave or sleeping when you get home. If you plan on going to their games good luck. If you're young and enjoy going out this is going to be difficult on you if you do get a Saturday off your going to be so tired you won't want to go out. Not to mention so behind on household chores like laundry and cleaning and grocery shopping you won't have time.

McCarthy runs off of youth because they can hire them cheap and work them to the bone because they have no experience. Everyone in the offices looks beat down and the coffee pots go all day long. When you walk into an office and see boxes stacked of coffee and cups and creamers you know you're in for a treat!

Overtime after 50, Vacation time after 50, some kind of incentive for working way over they 40hr salary range.

McCarthy Review

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are so competitive that I haven't heard anything else like it in the construction industry. Stability, great salary, training is top 20 in the nation with all industries. They also offer health incentives. Overall great place to work

Cons

Work/life balance is a difficult challenge. But I believe that is with any industry.

Project Engineer at a $1 Billion Federal Government Project

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great family culture
    - Superiors are incredibly knowledgeable in construction
    - McCarthy's hands on approach really knows how to grasp a firm understanding of construction

Cons

- Work life balance - get used to putting in 60-70 hour work weeks.

Projects are very short staffed. Hire more people!

Worked for McCarthy Building? Contribute to the Community!