McCarthy Building Reviews

Mike Bolen

1. Current Intern

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to build a hospital with.

Cons

50hr weeks seem to be a common thread amongst project engineers.

Skilled labor for the future will be a challenge.

2. There are better options out there for GCs

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training and they push to get you on a variety of scopes of work.

Cons

By switching engineers to different scopes so frequently issues tend to fall through the crack until it snow balls into big issues that create unnecessary fire drills and stress.

Train managers on leadership skills. They are leading teams and the majority of the time they are the ones putting down individuals instead of bringing them up and getting the most out of them.

3. Great culture, great benefits, cool projects!

Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent
    Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, including the ESOP program. The company cares about your health and offers ways stay healthy and get rewarded for it. The salary isn't too bad as I feel it's comparable with the industry. If the company does well on margin, the bonuses can be like winning a small lottery. We do some pretty cool projects all over the country and they take care of you while relocating. Overall, I love working for McCarthy!

Cons

Obviously everyone wants a higher salary so with that said, it'd be nice to get a decent raise every once in a while instead of the typical inflation raise. The few years between promotions, I've done some incredible work and went above and beyond and felt it went unnoticed. I do tend to agree with other CON reviews when they say some people shouldn't have been promoted when they were. There are times when individuals just are not ready to be promoted.

The performance and development goals that we do every 6 months is more of a chore then anything I feel like. The required training courses in Build U are slightly ridiculous as all it does is eat up my time and keep me from performing my actual work. The best training comes from actually doing and learning in the field.

5. Could be Worse I suppose

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Ownership is a huge plus as we all reap the rewards of a successful year. The bonus pool is hugely lopsided but that is true with most companies. Recent changes show that Upper Management is trying to listen to employees concerns and take corrective measures but sometimes that feel like lip service.

Cons

Too many people are being promoted that do not have the skills, both technical and emotional, for the positions. Expectations that employees work excessive hours is unrealistic. Just because a person works 50 hrs a week does not make them a better performer than someone who works 40 hrs a week. It could be that they are just unorganized or spinning their wheels. There is a huge disconnect between Upper Management (the Ivory Tower) and the project staff. There has recently been a lot of turn-over. Some of this is due to people who think they should be promoted and getting passed over so they leave. Too many people are promoted not because of what they know but who they know. There are way too many lemmings and not enough true leaders.

Training a person for their next position is key. The sink or swin attitude does nothing to benefit the company or the employee. The Old Boys Club mentality has to go. If a person is a poor performer let the performance review reflect that and let them go if they fail to improve. Hiring a person on their education alone will drag the company down. Too many people know how to work the system, just because they had a 3.0 grade point avergae doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Managers need to learn how to manage. Focus on more productive and useful training rather than training just for the sake of saying you are proviing training.

6. Employee Owned Corporation

Current Employee - Preconstruction
    Current Employee - Preconstruction

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee-owned corporation there is great potential for this company to change the way construction companies do business. Although this is a large corporation it is we all act like family.

Cons

Senior management although embracing the ideology of change continually revert to "old school" tactics. Stay the course! Compensation is below average. Many wrong people in the wrong seats on the bus.

Get the right people in the right seats on the bus. If you are looking to the future and truly are looking the make the changes to grow then look to those people embracing the business ideologies of the future instead of those that embrace the status quo.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

Great people, incredible benefits, ability to travel and transfer to other offices all over the country.

Cons

Work life balance is pretty off in the field. Office personnel seem to have that part figured out better than the field however still lacking immensely compared to almost every other industry

8. Great overall

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time

Pros

Great company with talented, client-focused employees. Benefits are excellent and the culture supports continuous improvement. Fun work environment with great community service initiatives.

Cons

Can be cliquish. Requires travel and long hours - typical for the construction industry. Some promotions seem based on unclear achievements.

9. Fairl good overall, but not satisfied with salary.

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

Training is good. Benefits are excellent... matching 401, ESOP, community outreach!

Cons

I feel McCarthy promotes people too fast before they are ready and it can breed conflicts between employees.

The construction industry is a pretty well paid industry across the board, from the laborer in the field to the Superintendent and Project Managers, etc. The project administrators for the most part are the lowest paid person on the project. I feel the PA's should be paid at least what your lowest paid field workers get (laborers) Fair is Fair. It takes every single person working in their capacity to get a building built. The PA's are always told, "could never do it without you" And they tell us how important our position is, and we perform well because we know it is. It's a commitment to excellence that we/I do not take lightly because it is such an important position. Please pay us at least what the field laborers are making. Especially in high cost living areas...can barely afford rent. Do we really have to wait to retirement to enjoy a better quality of living?

10. Current employee over ten years

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

I make my own hours.

Cons

Confusion between training and execution

Continuity.

11. It's Okay

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

Benefits, wellness program offers good discounts on gyms and insurance.

Cons

Lots of hours, management seems like they care but they dont.