McCarthy Building Reviews

Reset
3.9
McCarthy Building Chairman and CEO Mike Bolen
Mike Bolen

Pros
  • Employee owned, good benefits, nice co-workers and big into fundraising for charities (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits package, employee ownership, total compensation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a difficult challenge (in 8 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance, however long hours are always expect in the construction industry (in 3 reviews)

1. Long Term Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McCarthy Building (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Company is always looking ahead to be the best builder, so great projects are won and there is consistent work.

Cons

Minor office politics can taint an otherwise great workforce. Be ready for long hours as they are expected.

2. Great Business Model

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great employee owned company

Cons

Senior leaders are out of touch with current workforce

3. Great workplace

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

Great workplace, takes on complex jobs that challenges you, great people.

Cons

Longer hours than most jobs, but that is the construction industry.

5. Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with good benfits

Cons

Hard work but play hard too

Advice to Management

Better work life balanc

Good for white males only.

Current Employee - Project Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

Benefits and pay. Good fellow employees. ESOP and health plans best part of package.

Cons

Run by greedy selfish white men. Treat employees like pawns. Expect 60 hour weeks 52 weeks of year every year.

Advice to Management

Take Management 101. Be respectful to employees. More honesty and openness needed.

Rather not say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stock in the company, big parties at client expense

Cons

So tired of ripping off our clients to increase stock price. Everyday it's all about claims, everyone is at fault but us.everyone needs to pay, it's not our fault when we clearly mislead our clients to gain more fee.

Advice to Management

It's to late to make a change in senior management they have made there money, and don't care.

Great culture, great benefits, cool projects!

Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent
    Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent

I have been working at McCarthy Building

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, including the ESOP program. The company cares about your health and offers ways stay healthy and get rewarded for it. The salary isn't too bad as I feel it's comparable with the industry. If the company does well on margin, the bonuses can be like winning a small lottery. We do some pretty cool projects all over the country and they take care of you while relocating. Overall, I love working for McCarthy!

Cons

Obviously everyone wants a higher salary so with that said, it'd be nice to get a decent raise every once in a while instead of the typical inflation raise. The few years between promotions, I've done some incredible work and went above and beyond and felt it went unnoticed. I do tend to agree with other CON reviews when they say some people shouldn't have been promoted when they were. There are times when individuals just are not ready to be promoted.

Advice to Management

The performance and development goals that we do every 6 months is more of a chore then anything I feel like. The required training courses in Build U are slightly ridiculous as all it does is eat up my time and keep me from performing my actual work. The best training comes from actually doing and learning in the field.

9. There are better options out there for GCs

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training and they push to get you on a variety of scopes of work.

Cons

By switching engineers to different scopes so frequently issues tend to fall through the crack until it snow balls into big issues that create unnecessary fire drills and stress.

Advice to Management

Train managers on leadership skills. They are leading teams and the majority of the time they are the ones putting down individuals instead of bringing them up and getting the most out of them.

10. Could be Worse I suppose

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Ownership is a huge plus as we all reap the rewards of a successful year. The bonus pool is hugely lopsided but that is true with most companies. Recent changes show that Upper Management is trying to listen to employees concerns and take corrective measures but sometimes that feel like lip service.

Cons

Too many people are being promoted that do not have the skills, both technical and emotional, for the positions. Expectations that employees work excessive hours is unrealistic. Just because a person works 50 hrs a week does not make them a better performer than someone who works 40 hrs a week. It could be that they are just unorganized or spinning their wheels. There is a huge disconnect between Upper Management (the Ivory Tower) and the project staff. There has recently been a lot of turn-over. Some of this is due to people who think they should be promoted and getting passed over so they leave. Too many people are promoted not because of what they know but who they know. There are way too many lemmings and not enough true leaders.

Advice to Management

Training a person for their next position is key. The sink or swin attitude does nothing to benefit the company or the employee. The Old Boys Club mentality has to go. If a person is a poor performer let the performance review reflect that and let them go if they fail to improve. Hiring a person on their education alone will drag the company down. Too many people know how to work the system, just because they had a 3.0 grade point avergae doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Managers need to learn how to manage. Focus on more productive and useful training rather than training just for the sake of saying you are proviing training.

11. Employee Owned Corporation

Current Employee - Preconstruction
    Current Employee - Preconstruction

I have been working at McCarthy Building full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee-owned corporation there is great potential for this company to change the way construction companies do business. Although this is a large corporation it is we all act like family.

Cons

Senior management although embracing the ideology of change continually revert to "old school" tactics. Stay the course! Compensation is below average. Many wrong people in the wrong seats on the bus.

Advice to Management

Get the right people in the right seats on the bus. If you are looking to the future and truly are looking the make the changes to grow then look to those people embracing the business ideologies of the future instead of those that embrace the status quo.

RSS Feed </> Embed