McCarthy & Holthus

Updated November 30, 2014
Updated November 30, 2014
2.0

Thomas J. Holthus, Kevin R. McCarthy

Gain legal experience- then get out!

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Legal experience for newly minted "paralegals" who are having a tough time finding work in other practice field. People are nice, even supervisors!

Cons

low pay, and lowest tier supervisory "promotion" (lead) does not entail a raise in salary, only responsibility over a process that seems broken and unfixable. (though not likely to tank the enterprise)

Reward your hard-workers with promotions that combine an increase in pay commensurate with the increase in responsibility. It will generate more enthusiasm and competition for posts that I saw being avoided by staff who were otherwise competent and capable. This will pay off for the enterprise as a whole not just the dozen or so at the top.

Burn it down and build it over again

Former Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers if you're lucky
    Mostly cool IT staff
    Easy / lax with days off and coming in late if you're on the "in" list
    Most people are promoted within a year or two due to high turnover.

Cons

Supervisors, management are all immature
    Firm management is paranoid about employee productivity, be prepared to be micro-managed to a ridiculous degree
    Toxic workplace, your own boss will bad-mouth you even if you are a team lead to the rest of your team
    Low pay
    Other employees are equally miserable
    Perks (i.e. overtime or music) are often taken away or threatened to be taken away as though you are a child
    Constant changes in work location

As the title suggests, burn it down and build it over! There needs to be a massive overhaul of the structure and culture at this place for anything to ever improve. There are a few good people that do their best to make this place tolerable, but those same people are sometimes very immature and unprofessional. People can come in every day, work hard, do twice as much as other employees, but are paid the same or less than employees that do very little. Becoming a team lead in most departments is a joke and you do not get a raise yet you are expected to do twice the work and also make sure unskilled and often unqualified people do their jobs as well. Management will bring in just about anyone.

Very Toxic and Unhealthy Working Environment

Former Employee - Title Resolution Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Title Resolution Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Some nice co-workers, potlucks every month, everyone is young
    - Limited good experience

Cons

- Nobody is happy or excited about life
    - Management does not listen to employees
    - No flexibility in hours and micromanaging
    - No communication or feedback on performance unless its negative and harsh
    - Constant complaining about the job by everyone
    - 1/2 of the employees do all the work
    - Excessive spying on employees
    - Very unfair and political environment, only the overly political will do well here
    - Write-ups without being asked a single question
    - Vindictive high school bully managers are admired by higher-ups
    - Management is unprofessional, gossipy, secretive, and have no concern for employees at all

- This place is way too far gone

Miserable work environment. Quality Claims McCarthy and Holthus

Current Employee - Mortgage Insurance Oversight Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Insurance Oversight Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Some people are smart, hardworking and honest people.

-Made friends for life.

Cons

-Micro managing to the extreme
    -Unprofessional management
    -Non livable wage
    -Lay offs
    -Uneducated supervisors
    -Crap benefits
    -No parking
    -Training is a joke
    -Retaliatory Supervisors out to give certain people a hard time based on personal issues.

I hope you go out of business.

It's just not a good company--do yourself a favor and stay away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Pretty young co-workers, bonus for referring future hires, free coffee, getting hired is really easy

Cons

It is just a sad environment to get yourself into. You will probably make some new friends, but expect most of your conversations to be about how bad it is to work at McCarthy Holthus. The managers are overly passive aggressive and the executives continually walk around the office solely for the purpose of catching someone sending a text message. This type of micromanagement is made ever so more obvious when you consider that employees must clock in and out whenever they are on their breaks, and I don't just mean their lunch breaks. The turnover rate is extremely high, which explains the young employees because the company does not make any attempt to help one grow career-wise. Keep an eye on the housing market because when foreclosures began to decline, it has led to hundreds of layoffs within the company. They try to blind you with providing Phil's BBQ, but the last time they did that, an entire department was laid off the day prior. Also, I don't know about you, but working in a firm that makes its money from kicking families out of their homes isn't the most karma-friendly; you will have a front row view of how insanely evil corporate banks really are, and the law firm's partners are definitely doing their best to follow suit.

Finally, you ***WILL*** be underpaid--that is a guarantee. With all of this talk about raising minimum wage up to $15 an hour, I will bet my house that the partners, especially Kevin McCarthy and Tom Holthus, will be donating a lot of money towards political campaigns in opposition because that would mean essentially all of the paralegals would be getting less than minimum wage, thus they would have to be paid more. If you don't have a college degree, you would be lucky to make more than $11 an hour, and raises almost never exceed 25 cents; if you do, they will probably offer $12 hourly. For young attorneys, congrats on passing the bar, but it will be a loooooooong time until you pay off your student loans, if you work here. The company tries to convince you that the economy is makes it tough to raise employees' salaries substantially, but then you find out that the partners have just purchased a private jet and one of them (whose name rhymes with Tom Holthus) bought himself a million dollar sailboat; meanwhile, expect to be eating SpaghettiO's that you grabbed from the clearance aisle at Food4Less!

You might be functioning within the parameters of the law, but you guys need to take a trip to see the Wizard of Oz and get yourselves a heart. The dissatisfaction of working for this company is obvious, so, at least, try to make an effort to fix this. Also, saying, "Be grateful that you have a job", doesn't cut it.

Awful, a company run by people who only care about themselves.

Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Experience, if you are new to the legal field you can gain a lot of experience if you are in a few departments. Casual dress environment.

Cons

Everything, moral, pay, benefits, parking. Management minus a few don't care about their employees. They are there to get a pay check. I have never worked for a company as awful as this one in my life. It is so miserable they make you fearful other law firms will be this bad. It's not the case and once you leave you will see it. They over work you and treat you like crap. Raises if anything are 10 cents. They don't follow through with any promises and bad management gets away with everything. If you try and speak up you will be forced out because they will make your life miserable. Turnover is ridiculous. This place is truly a foreclosure mill. I am not an angry employee who was fired. I am telling you the truth from someone who was a supervisor for more than 5 years and moved on to a much better place. Even if they offered to double my salary I would have still left because it's not worth it and never will be.

If you want a successful business it starts with caring about those who work for you.

OK as a stepping stone

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment
    Friendly coworkers
    Job security

Cons

Low pay
    Feel like a "Cog in the Wheel"
    No parking anywhere nearby

What can I say, this job was okay as a stepping stone but not a career path for anyone sane-minded. The owners basically ramped up their legal business when foreclosures went gang busters, and have milked it for all it's worth. It's not a horrible job by any means, but it's certainly not great, either. The pay is very low, attorneys start in the $40k's, support staff have to fight for $0.50 hourly raises each year, which are practically worthless, and the office is full of bs politics that you must navigate day in and day out. On the upside, there are a lot of really great people there and I made many friends while I was there, including a few of my superiors. However, overall the upper management team never did enough to reward top performers, scale their business properly, or even take care of their buildings. Considering all the money being made, you'd think the attorneys would have nice desks at least, but everything was done on the cheap.

The annual photo is nice, and so is the $100 target gift card bonus at Christmas, but for those of us who really made a difference in the bottom line, there needs to be more of a personal touch, and more of a financial incentive/reward. It's no surprise why everyone who comes through this company winds up elsewhere in the end. I'm glad I started looking when I did and ended up finding something else much better, where I work less hours and earn twice the salary.

Pros and cons. No training inexperienced managers

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is the biggest pro. You are allowed to have a life outside of work.

Cons

There is no training here, but everyone is mad at you when things don't go right. This makes it stressful. Management doesn't understand this. There are many young people in charge. They always seem stressed out and don't talk to us unless things are bad. Our managers and attorneys are not happy with this either. The general counsel for the company only became an attorney in 2011. Promotions don't make sense here, it is never the people with experience or good work ethic.

Give better training and give people reason to want to try. When politics drive promotions, it is very disheartening to staff.

No investment in employees

Former Employee - Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Seattle, WA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they allow you to work remote. If you are an attorney, you are paid fairly well. You do not need to work long hours, so work/ home life balance is good.

Cons

Compensation is nowhere near industry standard. Training is something you need to fight for. Every employee is considered dispensable, and it creates an awful and dissatisfied company culture.

Dead End Job

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros. They tell you that the pros are the "great people you work with, not the pay." The pay does suck but the first part is a joke. There are more lazy backstabbers here than every company i have ever worked for in my twenty years in the workforce combined.

Cons

There are maybe 10 people who actually like working here, everyone else is miserable and complains about being miserable all day long. Management (owners, partners, executive committee, presidents) are admittedly unwilling to give honest feedback to the horrible middle layer of managers, supervisors, leads, and directors, who will collectively inevitably bring about the death of this company due to their laziness, incompetence, and uncanny ability to scare off all high value employees. I have never seen so many so called business-professionals be scared to make logical business decisions out of fear of offending toxic, non-producing employees. I have never met one in my entire career before this. It is scary how many you will find at this company.

Projects get handed from one loser middle manager to the next with nothing ever being completed. The well-meaning teams under these managers become frustrated and demoralized when they see all of their hard work being ignored when the project gets handed off to the next loser manager to complete because their manager dropped the ball. This is all explained to you in vapid double-talk, never of course actually identifying management incompetence as the problem. The worst thing that can happen to bad managers here is that they may be asked to take on a different role in the company. Usually this is a pseudo demotion, but never phrased as such, where the loser manager will have less responsibility but the same salary and perks: a reward for laziness. These self-entitled losers usually don't see it this way though. Even though any normal company would send people like this packing, these losers are always offended, but also emboldened as they know they will not be fired no matter how subpar their performance. Currently, there are about 10 people around like this and they are a cancer to morale. They herd together devising ways to obstruct employees trying to actually get work done.

Unlike most jobs where you are provided the information and resources you need to get your job done autonomously, here everything has to be signed off on by management, even small inconsequential details. Sometimes they takes years to get back to you when you have a question that they need to sign off on. It makes accomplishing anything generally impossible. Your salary is also awful. Raises are a joke. They almost never happen. When they do, you are not looked at as an individual: the best and worst employee of the same rank and tenure will receive the same raise, which will be a 2-3% raise max. There are zero perks. You will never have parking. You will play musical chairs every four months with your workspace, everyone does and always has. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you know one of the owners. I once had hope things could change, but am now convinced that this is a dead end job.

Management knows all of this and they don't care. We had an employee engagement survey 4 months ago and 80% of the company said morale was awful. Nothing has been done to change things. If anything things have gotten worse.