McCollisters Transportation Systems

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014
2.8

Dan McCollister

14 years of dedicated service.

I worked at McCollisters Transportation Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being part of a team. Having the enjoyment of a job well done. Being able to interact with repeat customers.

Cons

Little to no incentive to continually providing the best service.

For senior management to remember; its the people doing the day to day interactions with the customers that keep the company moving forward.

Used to be a good place to work

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at McCollisters Transportation Systems

Pros

The thing that most impressed me was the long term employees that were there.

Cons

They keep laying off people to stay afloat and then turn around and hire new people.

Find a way to stop doing work for free and cut losses on companies that you are not making with and replace with good business. And for goodness sake, get out of Household.

Patience

Current Employee - Lease Operator in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at McCollisters Transportation Systems as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a Lease Operator, I obviously get to work when I want to. That doesn't necessarily equate to setting my own hours but, when I need to take time off I haven't really had an issue doing so. Some of the best people I've met are in their various offices and can be a pleasure to work with. There is a lot of give and take as with most companies and unfortunately there is a running phrase that can sum things up quite succinctly at times, "It is what it is". As many times as I've felt like I wanted to just walk away, the money is hard to replace. I haven't got to a point in my life financially where I'm willing to take a drastic pay cut to relieve me of the usual stress that comes with the job.

Cons

There are times when you can sit in one location for 3-10 days waiting for a reload depending on where you end up emptying out. The pay at times can be insufferably slow which doesn't help you to stay caught up or even with your monthly expenses.

Listen, listen, listen. Granted, not all advice is worth a second thought but, there are things that are overlooked and would help everyone in the long run.

Good opportunities for driven sales people

Former Employee - Account Manager in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in West Chicago, IL

I worked at McCollisters Transportation Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good upper management, very accessible and good mentors.

Cons

Incompetent middle management, lots of penny pinching

Don't do it. You will be sorry.

Current Employee - Driver in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Driver in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at McCollisters Transportation Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None. Ask anyone who has worked there.

Cons

Employees are not valued by owner.

Throw in the towel.

Interesting and frustrating

Current Employee - Finance in Burlington City, NJ
    Current Employee - Finance in Burlington City, NJ

I have been working at McCollisters Transportation Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have the great pleasure of working with good, helpful people who do their jobs well. This organization is very lucky.

Cons

They have an archaic computer system. It barely provides and produces what we need to do our jobs well. The management seems confused and not sure what direction to go in.

Treat your employees with respect. Compensate them as they deserve. Don't forget their loyalty.

Excellent organization on the up

Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Burlington, NJ

Pros

Nationwide locations, supporting International business, government and financial institutions, electronic OEMs, Hospitals, aerospace, military and home relocations ...

Cons

Shrinking driver pools, industry needs qualified drivers

Keep up the tremendous work to diversify company portfolio of service offerings, markets, customer base and support of Corporate america's logistics, warehousing and transportation needs - adding tremendous value to supply chains globally, and providing employees a living and lively hood of a company they can be proud of working for -- thank you!

Unstable Chicago Location

I worked at McCollisters Transportation Systems

Pros

Like anywhere else, there are some relationships that you miss. Some others not so much. Lunch treat every so often.

Cons

Be careful if you get a job here. Lay offs are a regular occurrence. Vicious cycle of hire and lay off. No such thing as security there. Too many chiefs. Terrible management. People steal your lunch. Repossessed water machines, complaints from customers, cleaning people, village for non payment.

Don't hire unless you know how to offer a stable position.

Not enough of this & too much of that

I worked at McCollisters Transportation Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours are typical & conveniently located, casual dress

Cons

initial pay is poor, current employees took multiple pay cuts, gossip runs rampent, rules are written in chalk since it's family run. Benefits are expensive and you must wait 6 months. I was hired and layed off within 4 months due to poor financial planning.

Count your money before venturing into new projects and cut riduculous spending and give it back in the way of salary. RECYCLE! IT'S THE LAW !