McCormick & Schmick's

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.7
McCormick & Schmick's Chairman, President and CEO of Landry's Inc. Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • You have potential to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible, with good pay, and outstanding wonderful friendly staff and environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The management here used to be really good, but they managed to chase away the General Manager who everyone respected and liked (in 4 reviews)

• A true disconnect between the corporate office and the operations (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company!

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Great place to work! Very detail oriented!

Cons

The uniform gets hot when one is busy.

work environment

Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

There are some nice employees. Food is good.

Cons

Management is not professional. Speak to employees rudely when tempted. Then the next day they can be approachable. One never knows. Good old buddy system. Clicky. Management talk behind one another's backs so u you never have consistancy with policies being enforced

Advice to Management

Let go of people who do not want to be their and start being leaders versus bullies

Shop around first

Current Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They hire on the spot - No experience needed

Cons

- Management is terrible - Corporate atmosphere creates a divide between helpless management and staff (i.e. restaurant is open on all holidays, including Christmas and Thanksgiving, from 10am until 10pm and ALL EMPLOYEES WORK ALL DAY) - Training process takes two weeks (of minimum wage pay) - Money is not good (Lunches = $15-$30, Dinners = $30-$60 on average)

Advice to Management

It's hard to give advice to the managers when they have no control over anything. The restaurant's corporate ethos is it's biggest downside. Managers are required to fill their employee pay quotas and schedule too many employees even if it is a slow time of year. This causes the staff to make less money and creates a disdain for the management team. My advice is this: if you want to raise your pay quotas, management, schedule more kitchen workers rather than the $2.15/hour servers and bartenders. This will allow the kitchen to run more efficiently and will allow the servers and bartenders in your restaurant to make some money. Treating employees well will translate to a better experience for your customer.

5. Ehh..

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

The restaurant environment was very clean and well kept. Also, it was very structured and organized in that there were always different sections sectioned off and a schedule was made for cleaning duties.

Cons

I thought it was pretty ridiculous that we had to pay a fee to drink from the soda machines and to receive a discount. It's a corporate restaurant, you would think that they make an ample amount of profit to allow their employees to drink for free and have a discount on foods. I don't know. Just my opinion.

6. Avoid

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The food was good, and there was a good management team in place where I was working. I've worked at worse places

Cons

The corporate structure is stifling. Hiring policies ensured that we'd repeatedly be understaffed and/or overstaffed, with never a happy medium. Customers were rude, with no power to do anything about it. Prices were absurd.

Advice to Management

Find a balance for your employees to avoid burning them out. Fight back the corporate power structure, which does nothing but make suits feel important.

7. laundrys confiscates every penny from the employees

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

It is a place to be employed

Cons

Laundrys without notice started to require employees to pay for credit card transactions, pay for a discount program, change tip out procedures, change pay scales, raise prices, stop paying trainers, lower quality of food, and created what was once a nice place to work into the worst place i have ever been employed. The level of incompetence from managers and from what i have seen in regional managers is staggering. good job laundrys!

Advice to Management

does it matter?

8. was great seafood

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (More than 8 years)

Pros

very fast paced, high quality seafood. Professional, educated staff.

Cons

when Landry corp bought them out things have suffered. You now get a pressured sales pitchto bea member and the/y raised prices alot. They alsocut benefits for all employees; many of which had dedicated themselves to the company over 30 years.

Advice to Management

Let the waitstaff attwnd to each guest on an individual basis instead of requiring a canned speech and salespitch. Everyguest is there for their own reasons and individualized service sets you apart.

9. It was alright.

Current Employee - Food Server in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Food Server in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice ambiance, good wine, and good food.

Cons

Customers stiff despite price of bills, management gives into rude customers, management doesn't schedule well.

Advice to Management

Better management

10. Server

Former Employee - Food Server in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

The restaurants are in great locations that bring in tons of people, which is ideal. The food was good too, not incredible, but solid and people seemed to enjoy it.

Cons

It's a restaurant, so weekends and holidays are work days; but hey that's part of the gig. Occasional bad table, sometimes but heads with coworkers or management, everything always worked itself out.

Advice to Management

Keep the required specials and initial table talk down to a minimum. Sometimes management would make us try and sell too hard. Let people enjoy the food you offer, what you loose in initial sales, you will make up for in return visits.

11. A Humbling Learning Experience.

Former Employee - Waiter/QA in Oxon Hill, MD
    Former Employee - Waiter/QA in Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

One of the best jobs I ever had! Did I not mention...the FOOD!

Cons

You have to be a team player. Anyone seeking employment must be willing to work hard and laborious hours.

Advice to Management

Cater to the needs of your workers before your guests. Ensure maximum guest satisfaction, but not at the expense of your hard-working staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed