McCormick & Schmick's

Updated October 2, 2014
2.3

McCormick & Schmick's CEO and Director Bill Freeman
Bill Freeman

Pros
  • You have potential to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• Good money, good people, great food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The management here used to be really good, but they managed to chase away the General Manager who everyone respected and liked (in 4 reviews)

• A true disconnect between the corporate office and the operations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay money, abusive management

Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clientele that comes to dine usually has a lot of money to spend - making it easy to upsell food and drinks. Usually at dinner, a couple won't be able to pay any less than $70. You can really raise the price if you sell an appetizer, entrees, drinks, and dessert. You have potential to make good money.

Cons

Customers are okay. Usually stuck up because they're rich enough to eat at the place, which doesn't bother me.

My serious problem is with the management. It doesn't matter what your sales are like, as long as you can sell Landry's Select Club cards. You might as well sell your soul. If you didn't sell four a month, you would get written up. Absurd. An employee who sells LSCs often was caught drunk on the job, but management turned a blind eye because of his LSC sales. If it would've been anyone else, they would've been fired on the spot.

They have a strict "no outside food or drink policy", but they make you PAY monthly for an employee discount??? I had a manager throw out a cup of coffee I brought in for myself because of the policy, but I've seen her bring in leftovers plenty of times.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone work here. Everyone I know who is still there is trying desperately to get out.

1) Give employees incentives to sell LSCs besides the fear of being fired

2) Hire managers that respect their employees

3) Allow servers to bring in their own food.

Accounting

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

I enjoy working with the people

Cons

The compensation could align more with the work and hours put forth

Missing the Target

Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stress-Free environment, well managed and great all-around staff. It's pleasant to come to work and there is a lot of flexibility. All of these pros are (probably) the direct result of the cons

Cons

It just isn't busy enough, consistently enough. You cross your fingers and hope for a "whale" table because you have 3 or 4 tables in a night and that's it. I blame the concept itself. It is almost unheard of in this area, sounds like a Law Firm, and the menu is lackluster with direct, more contemporary competition just across the street. It often feels as if corporate wants us to fail, perhaps for tax purposes.

Market research your area, consider dissolving this site as a "McCormicks" and rebrand it as one of your other Landry's concepts that is better-known in the area. This location should be doing triple what it does. Better, more interesting fish choices. Everyone has perch, trout, whitefish, and awful farm-raised Salmon with mashed and green beans. Go out on a limb and let your clientele know you're doing something a lot more special.

Poor company.

Current Employee - Bartender in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Bartender in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

They make up their own hours and close early when it's slow.

Cons

No standards for cleanliness at the location I worked at.
    Close restaurants for business with no warning to the staff

Get a health inspector. Have higher standards.

Solid Earning for Part TIme, Terrible Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Busser and Server in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Busser and Server in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, and very interesting customers. For skill-less, part-time work, the pay was very good. Product is excellent, which is always a plus and also, it being a restaurant, meant delicious free meals.

Cons

Everything that is wrong with corporate restaurants. General Manager was much more concerned with her own career and her relationship with superiors than with her relationship with employees. My particular branch closed with no announcement, workers came in to locked doors and later received e-mails informing them their jobs were gone. Also, classic issue of giving all the crap-jobs to the hardest workers because they will actually DO them, instead of rewarding initiative.

This place sucks.

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The servers I work with are cool. I was making a decent amount of money before they started putting 8+ servers on the floor on non busy nights.

Cons

This place sucks. The management is terrible. They don't talk to the guests when there are 30+ minute tickets on food, especially on salads but will be in the kitchen chatting it up with other employees. The kitchen sucks. Food won't be placed on the grill until 25 minutes after you rang it in. The head chef sells spoiled fish and changes the date on expired food items. One of the managers flirts with almost every good looking woman that walks in the place but won't talk to tables about 45 minute tickets. The managers get mad when you ask them to do their job. They take forever to void items and get upset again when you ask them to take it off again. Another manager constantly talks bad about all the servers and thinks he is funny. They constantly push those dumb lsc cards that nobody wants to buy. They want us to sell them because they get a bonus for the amount sold. We tip out to the busser, host, and bartender which is stupid because I bus my tables most of the time and I still tip out when there isn't a busser or host on the clock. I hate working here but it pays my bills.

Be professional and do the job that you're getting paid to do. Not be in the office (the cave) when you're needed on the floor. Talk to the guest more when the kitchen is backed up so the server won't be punished by getting a terrible or no tip.

busser

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

good pay got at least 3-500 every 2 weeks loved everyone i worked around other then the manager it was a fun job when the previous managers were there

Cons

over hired people was let go without knowing it just took off the schedule management changed constantly manager who fired me was terrible lady working on holidays was unfairly scheduled

choose better managers

Constant management changes and favoritism!

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked some of the people and won't lie enjoyed the money especially when I was the favorite and selling many of their silly Landry select club frequent diner program so got better sections and big parties as well as found the side work was not bad

Cons

To every pro there is a con plus some, the fact we even had to sell 25 dollar frequent diner program with little incentive was absurd. By the time the hype of just how many I could sell died down, newbies got my sections and I got a high five. Side work was not bad because the place was absolutely disgusting literally cockroach disgusting. Good short term job but anything long term is asking for getting used to constant changes in hours (getting called off a lot sometimes even told once you got there) and o the people for every good there was a bad and a new person as they hired anyone that walked through the door.

Try not to let favoritism control how everything in your restaurant works it makes for ugly situations.

Server

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Easy hours, very flexible work schedule

Cons

Selling LCS cards (Total rip off), They promote within in the same store so your friends become your bosses, worst unprofessional place I've ever worked

Create more of a professional environment

The worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Decent money and met some nice people. Needs a lot of help to run that place

Cons

The management was horrible. Side work was endless. Not only did you have running side work you also had much more to do after. I can't believe they haven't been sued yet.

The leadership needs to be experienced people and worry more about coaching and teaching than where everyone is going after work for a drink. Also, don't threaten people, cuss at them, or treat them like children.