McCormick & Schmick's

Updated August 3, 2014
2.3

McCormick & Schmick's CEO and Director Bill Freeman
Bill Freeman

Pros
  • Good money, good people, great food (in 3 reviews)

• Opportunity for growth now that Landry's has taken over (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The management here used to be really good, but they managed to chase away the General Manager who everyone respected and liked (in 4 reviews)

• A true disconnect between the corporate office and the operations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Accounting

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

I enjoy working with the people

Cons

The compensation could align more with the work and hours put forth

Missing the Target

Current Employee - Server  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stress-Free environment, well managed and great all-around staff. It's pleasant to come to work and there is a lot of flexibility. All of these pros are (probably) the direct result of the cons

Cons

It just isn't busy enough, consistently enough. You cross your fingers and hope for a "whale" table because you have 3 or 4 tables in a night and that's it. I blame the concept itself. It is almost unheard of in this area, sounds like a Law Firm, and the menu is lackluster with direct, more contemporary competition just across the street. It often feels as if corporate wants us to fail, perhaps for tax purposes.

Market research your area, consider dissolving this site as a "McCormicks" and rebrand it as one of your other Landry's concepts that is better-known in the area. This location should be doing triple what it does. Better, more interesting fish choices. Everyone has perch, trout, whitefish, and awful farm-raised Salmon with mashed and green beans. Go out on a limb and let your clientele know you're doing something a lot more special.

Poor company.

Current Employee - Bartender  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Bartender in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

They make up their own hours and close early when it's slow.

Cons

No standards for cleanliness at the location I worked at.
    Close restaurants for business with no warning to the staff

Get a health inspector. Have higher standards.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Earning for Part TIme, Terrible Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Busser and Server  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Busser and Server in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, and very interesting customers. For skill-less, part-time work, the pay was very good. Product is excellent, which is always a plus and also, it being a restaurant, meant delicious free meals.

Cons

Everything that is wrong with corporate restaurants. General Manager was much more concerned with her own career and her relationship with superiors than with her relationship with employees. My particular branch closed with no announcement, workers came in to locked doors and later received e-mails informing them their jobs were gone. Also, classic issue of giving all the crap-jobs to the hardest workers because they will actually DO them, instead of rewarding initiative.

This place sucks.

Current Employee - Server  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The servers I work with are cool. I was making a decent amount of money before they started putting 8+ servers on the floor on non busy nights.

Cons

This place sucks. The management is terrible. They don't talk to the guests when there are 30+ minute tickets on food, especially on salads but will be in the kitchen chatting it up with other employees. The kitchen sucks. Food won't be placed on the grill until 25 minutes after you rang it in. The head chef sells spoiled fish and changes the date on expired food items. One of the managers flirts with almost every good looking woman that walks in the place but won't talk to tables about 45 minute tickets. The managers get mad when you ask them to do their job. They take forever to void items and get upset again when you ask them to take it off again. Another manager constantly talks bad about all the servers and thinks he is funny. They constantly push those dumb lsc cards that nobody wants to buy. They want us to sell them because they get a bonus for the amount sold. We tip out to the busser, host, and bartender which is stupid because I bus my tables most of the time and I still tip out when there isn't a busser or host on the clock. I hate working here but it pays my bills.

Be professional and do the job that you're getting paid to do. Not be in the office (the cave) when you're needed on the floor. Talk to the guest more when the kitchen is backed up so the server won't be punished by getting a terrible or no tip.

busser

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

good pay got at least 3-500 every 2 weeks loved everyone i worked around other then the manager it was a fun job when the previous managers were there

Cons

over hired people was let go without knowing it just took off the schedule management changed constantly manager who fired me was terrible lady working on holidays was unfairly scheduled

choose better managers

Constant management changes and favoritism!

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked some of the people and won't lie enjoyed the money especially when I was the favorite and selling many of their silly Landry select club frequent diner program so got better sections and big parties as well as found the side work was not bad

Cons

To every pro there is a con plus some, the fact we even had to sell 25 dollar frequent diner program with little incentive was absurd. By the time the hype of just how many I could sell died down, newbies got my sections and I got a high five. Side work was not bad because the place was absolutely disgusting literally cockroach disgusting. Good short term job but anything long term is asking for getting used to constant changes in hours (getting called off a lot sometimes even told once you got there) and o the people for every good there was a bad and a new person as they hired anyone that walked through the door.

Try not to let favoritism control how everything in your restaurant works it makes for ugly situations.

Server

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Easy hours, very flexible work schedule

Cons

Selling LCS cards (Total rip off), They promote within in the same store so your friends become your bosses, worst unprofessional place I've ever worked

Create more of a professional environment

The worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Server  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Decent money and met some nice people. Needs a lot of help to run that place

Cons

The management was horrible. Side work was endless. Not only did you have running side work you also had much more to do after. I can't believe they haven't been sued yet.

The leadership needs to be experienced people and worry more about coaching and teaching than where everyone is going after work for a drink. Also, don't threaten people, cuss at them, or treat them like children.

Dumb & Dumberer

Former Employee - Front of House  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Front of House in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is VERY easy for ANYONE to be hired here for front of house because the turn over is very high, if you're a female under 22 you're pretty much guaranteed a job per the perverse all male management staff.

Cons

While the general manager openly refers to himself as 'God' its the offensive poor managerial practices regularly that contradict mandates and sneak around health codes ( I personally never ate the food after seeing the storage relabeling/non labeling) that stood out. To maintain bottom line profit bonuses for 'God' the restaurant was constantly poorly supplied with everything from silverware to glasswear to key menu items resulting in slow service (we had to literally wait 10-15min to serve a martini drink because we only had 8- 14 martini shell glasses in the entire restaurant) and poor tips, being bullied and threatened into selling the Landry Club cards ($25 frequent diner reward card) your incentives for selling them are bogus and measly and of no monetary value, money can be made here however if you are aggressive enough to backstab, blamegame, lie or just flat out brown nose your way into sections with fair rotation, sidework assignments are biased, bar shift and closing duties are ridiculous( DON'T GET TRICKED INTO WORKING BeHIND THE BAR! You make under $100 for a 6hr shift on busy Saturday nights), you will find that issues cannot be solved because the management has poor individual communication and will openly gripe outloud about your fellow coworkers when they leave the area in an almost gossipy manner... BOTTOM LINE: Landry's owned restaurants have a generally poor reputation on Glassdoor so if you must work there get your experience and get out asap

Get a clue, your shady back stabbing cost pinching practices and 'us vs them' attitude in regards to management and employees sucks and resolves nothing. You are not politicians so stop acting like them...

Worked for McCormick & Schmick's? Contribute to the Community!