McCormick & Schmick's

Updated October 2, 2014
2.3

McCormick & Schmick's CEO and Director Bill Freeman
Bill Freeman

Pros
  • You have potential to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• Good money, good people, great food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The management here used to be really good, but they managed to chase away the General Manager who everyone respected and liked (in 4 reviews)

• A true disconnect between the corporate office and the operations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

unfortunately the standards of this company are not what they used to be

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

quality of life is good; good sense of hospitality and service

Cons

numbers are all that matters; difficult place to work if you have a passion for quality food; corporate restrictions handcuff local management

focus more on guests and individual markets and maybe sell some fresh seafood

The worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Decent money and met some nice people. Needs a lot of help to run that place

Cons

The management was horrible. Side work was endless. Not only did you have running side work you also had much more to do after. I can't believe they haven't been sued yet.

The leadership needs to be experienced people and worry more about coaching and teaching than where everyone is going after work for a drink. Also, don't threaten people, cuss at them, or treat them like children.

summer job

Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

a lot of great exposure to fine dining techniques (i.e., scratch production, blah blah blah)

Marissa, one of the managers, aside from being GORGEOUS, is really chill/easy to get along with

Cons

some (one) of the management can be (is) a pain in the ass

you really should offer parking comps for your employees instead of telling them to park in restricted areas (and risk being towed) to avoid parking garage fees

Mr. Frittata wouldn't make a dime if he didn't charge employees for everything

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none since Landry's took over

Cons

pressured to participate in employee food program, working 10 hrs plus on holidays without a break, being required to tip out bus, bar and front door even though mgmt has no one working those positions, and constant pressure to sign the guest up in the rewards program

no use offering these people a suggestion they have their heads so far up it they can't hear

A Good family environment

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly towards one another, management can be okay, i understand that at the end of the day they have someone to answer to as well.

Cons

It is a corporate company, enough said.

Learn to work with your staff.

Great company to work for, quality products.

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

McCormick & Schmick's takes good care of its employees. Promotes from within, pays above industry standard.

Cons

It's a restaurant company with limited potential for growth.

I life changing job

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

There are "some" good managers, while others lack loyalty to employees. You will grow some thick skin before you leave.

Cons

In any big corporation there is too much micro- management. Everyone needs to have personality and they found away to take it.

Allow your staff to have some freedoms within their jobs and tables. To much structure is detrimental.

Worked at the Portland corporate office before Landry's took over

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the people in my department really worked as a team. There was a very nice lady in my department who I was able to bring questions to as a new person and I still remember and am thankful for that. The culture at the corporate office was one where people were encouraged to talk face to face. I met a couple of truly wonderful people while working there that put smiles on my face when I think about them now. The Portland corporate offices where we were – both the original Washington Street location and the later Northrup spot – had a classy look to them.

Cons

Way too much work from day one! Management never cared. I actually loved most of the work but was always besieged with a truckload of it – everyone in my department was and we often ridiculed the amount and joked about it. There needed to be a bookkeeper at every one of the restaurants to handle communication with our corporate office accounting team but management cut back on hiring for that position. This resulted in tremendous frustration for us at the corporate office because in many cases invoice processing and paperwork were not completed by the restaurants and then we would either have to remind the restaurants to do it or play “bad cop” with repeated requests. One of our supervisors would get mad at US for things the restaurants did not complete, which was extremely stressful and unfair. Raises were paltry. It was a very stiff working environment with too many meetings and an intimidating review process. Several of the supervisors were openly harsh and strict. Company was sold to Landry’s right before Thanksgiving 2011 and pretty soon all of us corporate office people were gone. Very cold finish cementing the feeling of everyday uncaring that went on. Soul-sucking place in many ways that drained the life out of me and took me a long time to recover from.

Nothing I can add now as Landry’s took it over in 2012 and I’m no longer there.

Great company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, with good pay, and outstanding wonderful friendly staff and environment

Cons

busy days sometimes long hours, scheduling issues with times and dates, needs some improvement in minor areas

solve scheduling issues

Private Dining Coordinator is great for no job skills but not a career path.

Former Employee - Private Dining Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Private Dining Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Little to none supervision or management training enables workers to seem faultless.

Cons

Little to none supervision or management training creates a stagnant workforce and mediocre attitude which inhibits ambition and caused the company to decline into a hostile takeover by Landry's Inc., a profit driven casino ownership.

Proactive leadership requires constant training and coaching of the staff. Do not wait for secret shopper reports to determine the skill level of employees. Interview more and hire less to posses a more competent staff; keeping sub-par employees only hurts the team.