McCormick & Schmick's

Updated April 16, 2015
73 reviews filtered by

1. This place sucks.

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The servers I work with are cool. I was making a decent amount of money before they started putting 8+ servers on the floor on non busy nights.

Cons

This place sucks. The management is terrible. They don't talk to the guests when there are 30+ minute tickets on food, especially on salads but will be in the kitchen chatting it up with other employees. The kitchen sucks. Food won't be placed on the grill until 25 minutes after you rang it in. The head chef sells spoiled fish and changes the date on expired food items. One of the managers flirts with almost every good looking woman that walks in the place but won't talk to tables about 45 minute tickets. The managers get mad when you ask them to do their job. They take forever to void items and get upset again when you ask them to take it off again. Another manager constantly talks bad about all the servers and thinks he is funny. They constantly push those dumb lsc cards that nobody wants to buy. They want us to sell them because they get a bonus for the amount sold. We tip out to the busser, host, and bartender which is stupid because I bus my tables most of the time and I still tip out when there isn't a busser or host on the clock. I hate working here but it pays my bills.

Advice to Management

Be professional and do the job that you're getting paid to do. Not be in the office (the cave) when you're needed on the floor. Talk to the guest more when the kitchen is backed up so the server won't be punished by getting a terrible or no tip.

Dumb & Dumberer

Former Employee - Front of House in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Front of House in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is VERY easy for ANYONE to be hired here for front of house because the turn over is very high, if you're a female under 22 you're pretty much guaranteed a job per the perverse all male management staff.

Cons

While the general manager openly refers to himself as 'God' its the offensive poor managerial practices regularly that contradict mandates and sneak around health codes ( I personally never ate the food after seeing the storage relabeling/non labeling) that stood out. To maintain bottom line profit bonuses for 'God' the restaurant was constantly poorly supplied with everything from silverware to glasswear to key menu items resulting in slow service (we had to literally wait 10-15min to serve a martini drink because we only had 8- 14 martini shell glasses in the entire restaurant) and poor tips, being bullied and threatened into selling the Landry Club cards ($25 frequent diner reward card) your incentives for selling them are bogus and measly and of no monetary value, money can be made here however if you are aggressive enough to backstab, blamegame, lie or just flat out brown nose your way into sections with fair rotation, sidework assignments are biased, bar shift and closing duties are ridiculous( DON'T GET TRICKED INTO WORKING BeHIND THE BAR! You make under $100 for a 6hr shift on busy Saturday nights), you will find that issues cannot be solved because the management has poor individual communication and will openly gripe outloud about your fellow coworkers when they leave the area in an almost gossipy manner... BOTTOM LINE: Landry's owned restaurants have a generally poor reputation on Glassdoor so if you must work there get your experience and get out asap

Advice to Management

Get a clue, your shady back stabbing cost pinching practices and 'us vs them' attitude in regards to management and employees sucks and resolves nothing. You are not politicians so stop acting like them...

3. unfortunately the standards of this company are not what they used to be

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

quality of life is good; good sense of hospitality and service

Cons

numbers are all that matters; difficult place to work if you have a passion for quality food; corporate restrictions handcuff local management

Advice to Management

focus more on guests and individual markets and maybe sell some fresh seafood

5. Server

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Easy hours, very flexible work schedule

Cons

Selling LCS cards (Total rip off), They promote within in the same store so your friends become your bosses, worst unprofessional place I've ever worked

Advice to Management

Create more of a professional environment

6. The worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Decent money and met some nice people. Needs a lot of help to run that place

Cons

The management was horrible. Side work was endless. Not only did you have running side work you also had much more to do after. I can't believe they haven't been sued yet.

Advice to Management

The leadership needs to be experienced people and worry more about coaching and teaching than where everyone is going after work for a drink. Also, don't threaten people, cuss at them, or treat them like children.

7. summer job

Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

a lot of great exposure to fine dining techniques (i.e., scratch production, blah blah blah)

Marissa, one of the managers, aside from being GORGEOUS, is really chill/easy to get along with

Cons

some (one) of the management can be (is) a pain in the ass

Advice to Management

you really should offer parking comps for your employees instead of telling them to park in restricted areas (and risk being towed) to avoid parking garage fees

Mr. Frittata wouldn't make a dime if he didn't charge employees for everything

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none since Landry's took over

Cons

pressured to participate in employee food program, working 10 hrs plus on holidays without a break, being required to tip out bus, bar and front door even though mgmt has no one working those positions, and constant pressure to sign the guest up in the rewards program

Advice to Management

no use offering these people a suggestion they have their heads so far up it they can't hear

9. A Good family environment

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly towards one another, management can be okay, i understand that at the end of the day they have someone to answer to as well.

Cons

It is a corporate company, enough said.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your staff.

10. Great company to work for, quality products.

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

McCormick & Schmick's takes good care of its employees. Promotes from within, pays above industry standard.

Cons

It's a restaurant company with limited potential for growth.

11. I life changing job

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

There are "some" good managers, while others lack loyalty to employees. You will grow some thick skin before you leave.

Cons

In any big corporation there is too much micro- management. Everyone needs to have personality and they found away to take it.

Advice to Management

Allow your staff to have some freedoms within their jobs and tables. To much structure is detrimental.