McCormick & Schmick's

Reset

1. Worked at the Portland corporate office before Landry's took over

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the people in my department really worked as a team. There was a very nice lady in my department who I was able to bring questions to as a new person and I still remember and am thankful for that. The culture at the corporate office was one where people were encouraged to talk face to face. I met a couple of truly wonderful people while working there that put smiles on my face when I think about them now. The Portland corporate offices where we were – both the original Washington Street location and the later Northrup spot – had a classy look to them.

Cons

Way too much work from day one! Management never cared. I actually loved most of the work but was always besieged with a truckload of it – everyone in my department was and we often ridiculed the amount and joked about it. There needed to be a bookkeeper at every one of the restaurants to handle communication with our corporate office accounting team but management cut back on hiring for that position. This resulted in tremendous frustration for us at the corporate office because in many cases invoice processing and paperwork were not completed by the restaurants and then we would either have to remind the restaurants to do it or play “bad cop” with repeated requests. One of our supervisors would get mad at US for things the restaurants did not complete, which was extremely stressful and unfair. Raises were paltry. It was a very stiff working environment with too many meetings and an intimidating review process. Several of the supervisors were openly harsh and strict. Company was sold to Landry’s right before Thanksgiving 2011 and pretty soon all of us corporate office people were gone. Very cold finish cementing the feeling of everyday uncaring that went on. Soul-sucking place in many ways that drained the life out of me and took me a long time to recover from.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can add now as Landry’s took it over in 2012 and I’m no longer there.

2. Great company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, with good pay, and outstanding wonderful friendly staff and environment

Cons

busy days sometimes long hours, scheduling issues with times and dates, needs some improvement in minor areas

Advice to Management

solve scheduling issues

3. Private Dining Coordinator is great for no job skills but not a career path.

Former Employee - Private Dining Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Private Dining Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Little to none supervision or management training enables workers to seem faultless.

Cons

Little to none supervision or management training creates a stagnant workforce and mediocre attitude which inhibits ambition and caused the company to decline into a hostile takeover by Landry's Inc., a profit driven casino ownership.

Advice to Management

Proactive leadership requires constant training and coaching of the staff. Do not wait for secret shopper reports to determine the skill level of employees. Interview more and hire less to posses a more competent staff; keeping sub-par employees only hurts the team.

Exploitative, sloppy, and smallminded

Former Employee - Cook in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cook in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good lesson in what NOT to do, makes you appreciate what you used to take for granted in other jobs

Cons

Shitty food, dirty kitchen, will teach bad cooking/sanitation habits, won't allow you to do your job effectively/earn a living there/hold a second job. Poor scheduling, will often get called off on scheduled days or called in on days off; or often sent home suddenly the instant service slows down without being allowed to clean up or prep for next shift.consequently, will be forced to work with the results of said previous short shift. It's a 7 day a week, on call, part time job.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. If your staff isn't allowed to be there to work, it's not their fault the work isn't done. It's also no coincidence that the people who can get a job elsewhere, do.

6. Decline in quality of food and employees since Landry takeover

Current Employee - All Around Kitchen Staff Member
    Current Employee - All Around Kitchen Staff Member

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to say at this point given the level of frustration and disheartened outlook. The positive is it is a job.

Cons

Landry has gutted and streamlined (which is what their buyout corporation objective is) to a point that it is affected the quality McCormick & Schmick’s customer base has come to expect. Corporate office will downright harass the chefs to cut labor, only to have the goal is set lower next time. One particular employee opted to works six days in the hopes to make it to 35 hours and get all the assigned work completed. What was supposed to be a temporary measure has not become the norm. The opposite is true for the chefs. Most, if not all, restaurants are notorious for creating an environment where the person in charge has zero work/life balance. This has profound negative effects on employees and families. I have broken down the amount of hours worked into the annual salary only to find it didn’t even reach the minimum wage mark. How sad. Where Laundry/McCormick & Schmick’s takes it to the next level is the intentional advantage they take of their work staff. They don’t appear to care about the employees or the customers for that matter. Unsustainable pressure leads to high turn over- leads to lower quality staff- leads to employees who don’t have the care or skill for proper sanitation or food service. You the customer are paying top dollar for this. One example is the dangled paid vacation carrot where an employee is supposed to qualify for one provided the average number of hours is full time as evaluated every six months. They know they will rarely let this happen (given the constant emails calling for reduced labor when there is enough full-time work to be done) and you can forget about sick days. Yet, to top it off, while not providing reasonable benefits or perks they have the nerve to require employees pay for their own meals, forgo breaks, and to work every holiday, including Christmas WITH NO HOLIDAY PAY. These practices of employee abuse by corporations which set employees up for failure while the leaders enjoy all the fruit is certainly not exclusive to this corporation (think Wal-Mart.) The tides are turning as is the American way. Ask questions. Demand higher standards. Vote with your fork. Yes you may pay a little more for the luxury of eating out (don’t forget the tip)but please consider if it were your spouse holding 2-3 jobs just to keep afloat. One final personal note: PLEASE DON’T GO OUT TO EAT ON TRADITIONAL FAMILY HOLIDAYS LIKE THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS.

7. Terrible

Former Employee - Executive Sous in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Sous in Rosemont, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to the house and free parking

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for

Advice to Management

Take care of your people

8. Provided an environment to learn and transfer across locations

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managment provided sufficent hours and opportunity to make satisfying income.

Cons

Corporate environment did not provide room for individuality

On The Road Toward Extinction...

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every septuagenarian that makes up the base clientele hasn't completely died off yet.

Cons

Not unlike their overgrown antiseptic predecessors (see Steak and Ale, Chi Chi's), M&S is rapidly joining the ranks of once-successful restaurant business models that fell prey to stagnation. Having grown large enough to be consumed by the Landry's impersonal corporotized behemoth, this once relevant eatery of the business class and local middle-heeled has unfortunately fallen prey to the mediocrity that resting on the laurels of one's past success tends to bring. If you enjoy eating the same unimaginative cuisine your grandparents raved about in their heyday while being surrounded by all the ambiance a 1970's midwestern basement can muster, then this is the place for you. Catch it while you can, though...Because history dictates a shortened tenure for this once-iconic brand.

Advice to Management

Polish your resumes.

10. Corporate,stressful...but the money is good

Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money, after being there for a while you quickly figure out that if you do what they want, you can have what you want.

Cons

You are just a number, you find that out quickly after reading the Forbes interview with the owner. Don't expect anything more

11. McCormick & Schmick's

Former Employee - Pantry Cook in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Pantry Cook in Edina, MN

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good food and Good people..

Cons

If you're allergic to shellfish or hate late hours... (I did the 4 to close shift) I wouldn't apply for there.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for the management.

RSS Feed </> Embed