McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy's Building Supply Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Brian F. McCoy

great retail company

Prosfamily owned, customer focused, treat employees well

Conslow compensation, benefits could be better

Don't get stuck working here.

Driver (Former Employee) Pasadena, TX

ProsEnjoyed delivery part of job (which, by the way, took me away from the hostile store environment for parts of the day); getting paid weekly; Insurance was Ok.

ConsYoung, inexperienced mgr didn't know how to appreciate & benefit from my experience, instead was intimidated & belittled it feeling he had to prove "who's boss;" he did not know how to deal w/people; rather than motivate production, he looses employee's loyalties & dedication, creating very unhappy workers; all hourly employees wished they were somewhere else; benefits Ok but wages have been frozen for years for yard hands. Committing 8 and 10 years of life to the job are not rewarded financially. You can't take a "pat on the back" to the bank; not even so much as a "cost-of-living" raise; truck maintenance severely lacking due to tight, corporate budget controls; strongly disagree with company's statement of a culture that "cares for their employees!! They can say that because they've got a program the helps those in need using co employees' contributions and because they are closed on Sundays. That's well & good but not enough to make up for the neglect of employees out in the yard who work hard day after day, year after year!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your hourly employees with more appreciation, respect and better pay. Keep your "bread & butter" delivery trucks maintained and repaired. In 8 mos, I went thru an asst. mgr and store mgr who treated me like an insignificant part of the plan; like a dog at times, to the point I said I wouldn't tolerate the abuse anymore. (During this time, I did have one great store mgr and another asst mgr). Teach your managers and assistant managers how to treat employees and help them to be better.

Great place to work

ProsCompany culture is very positive

ConsWould like to get paid more for the hours required

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent family oriented company.

Cashier (Current Employee) Tyler, TX

ProsGreat management staff and corporate staff. The "big-wigs" I have met, to include the president of the company, are down to earth and very friendly. They know all the employees at each store which is impressive to me. The company in general, but specifically the Tyler, TX store, show they care about you the employee and your well being/family..etc. The company is closed on Sundays so you can spend time with family/friends. Their normal business hours are M-F 7am-6pm so you aren't ever getting home really late which allows you to have dinner with your family which means a lot to me.

ConsCompensation isn't the best, and I was disappointed to find out that a "Christian" based company gave in to ObamaCare and because of that they had to drop a lot of benefits for their part-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand by your morals and ethics and then you will be able to provide more to your employees.

A good Company

ProsGreat culture and Family values

Cons55+ hours a week for management

Plenty of work

Door and Milworks (Current Employee) New Braunfels, TX

ProsPlenty of hours and overtime

Conslate hours and low pay

Family first, unless it interferes with business.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey strive to create a "family" environment at work.
    Managers try to get to know you on a personal level.
    Everyone at corporate is very friendly and helpful.
    They want to grow without forgetting the smaller dollar customers.
    If you want to move up and you bust your behind you can move up.

ConsThe Management program is at best a way to move up in the company and is at it's worst an almost indentured servitude.
    There is a major disconnect between corporate and the supportive environment there and the stores, which can be hostile and dysfunctional.
    Wanting to compete with companies that service pro customers only while insisting that every person who walks in is treated like a pro customer is a near impossible business plan.
    Management needs to be more diverse.

Advice to Senior ManagementBAU is overly-invasive and should be scaled back.
    Diversify and support your management members.

Terrible Workplace

Yard Pro (Former Employee) Nacogdoches, TX

ProsFlexible hours if your going to college, you usually can take off whenever you need to.

ConsManagement is terrible, they are constantly changing. HR doesnt do anything but sit on their butts when problems arise. Employee turnover is extremely high. There was constantly problems arising with employees and management. Management never rewarding employees with raises or even telling them a good job.i worked hard there for 3 years and got a 1.75 raise in that whole time which is ridiculous. They NEVER give performance reviews so get used to that. They also will ask you to stay and work extra hours because a big whig is coming in to visit the store, so you may work till the late hours 10 or 11 o clock cleaning up so the big whig can stay there for 10 mins and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the little men that are the reasons you guys get the big salaries.

McCoy's

ProsFamily environment which creates trust and decent morale, flexibility is wonderful

Constravel sometimes demanding for those that are in HQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more diversified- run by mostly white males

Worked for McCoy's Building Supply? Contribute to the Community!