McDermott Reviews

Reset
2.8
McDermott CEO David Dickson
David Dickson

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule, friendly people (in 3 reviews)

• Good pay, nice people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the worst upper management I have seen - way to political for my taste, not enough clear direction (in 3 reviews)

1. Platform Engineer

Former Employee - Structure Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Structure Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott

Pros

Office Air Conditioning and parking lot

Cons

Crab basket. Management couldn't care less about employees.

Advice to Management

Time to retire

2. Not bad

I have been working at McDermott full-time

Pros

place to learn something to get better oppurtunity in future

Cons

don't know what to say here.

3. Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott

Pros

Great hard working people. Great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Elimination of industry standard benefits such as 9/80 work schedule and employee development programs. Due to company performance headcount reductions have increased workload for existing employees.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for existing employees. Provide development opportunities for all level of employees.

5. Certainly no longer a place to work for........

I worked at McDermott full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong historic past and best in class for offshore and subsea construction with proven track record to show for its results.

Cons

Currently struggling in a tight competitive market with lack of any strategic direction, so far as Asia Pacific region is concerned and no market penetration due to lack of funds to pursue opportunities.

6. I was sold a dream, very very unorganised company and poor management

Former Employee - Former Contractor in Epsom, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Former Contractor in Epsom, England (UK)

I worked at McDermott (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, good location as in the centre of a shopping mall.

Cons

Very unorganised, poor managers, lazy colleagues, bad organisation, unhealthy environment

Advice to Management

I had an interview and offered the job within 3 hours after the interview with a good package and I left my old job due to redundancy within a week notice.

Luckily, I am a contractor hence my notice to my previous employer before McDermott Marine Construction Limited (MMCL) only ask for a week notice unless I wanted to work outside the UK where jobs available.

However, from my first week in MMCL, I could sense that the company is unorganised.
    The first week, my manager (actually he was my senior as his job title changed all the times) kept saying that no one could do the job and only a lady who works there for last 3 years able to do it.

I started suspicious whether it was the previous person who could not do the job or the company. Sadly, the company very unorganised and the managers also very very unorganised.
    Some of the workers who work there were acting bossy and try to make me 'the black goat' if they did not want to do their tasks (read: lazy).

Within a month, I proofed that I could the job without any handover and training from my seniors and I handled all of the job good, different projects and different deliverable.
    Unfortunately, I was so stressed because I had to come to work at 7am and finished at 9pm. The weird thing was when I submitted my timesheet, my manager asked me to change the hours to the max 12 hours work only and moved the other hours to the other days, may be to avoid government check on the employees health and safety also welfare !

After 6 weeks working there, the management announced that they were making redundancy. I was so annoyed as at the first place I took the job because they offered me a 6 months contract which more than my previous job and possibility to be permanent other than good salary.

I am glad that I do not work for McDermott, Epsom anymore and I promise to myself I will never come back working for them in any countries.
    Hopefully I will never meet the senior managers who are also redundant as their work was sooo bad that caused me to stay at work more than 8 hours and everything had to be in hurry and rush all the time.
    The worst place I had ever worked.

Really really bad place to work although the money was good but I could get better job in another place and better pay too also stay sane :)

Sr Subsea Installation Lead

Former Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX

I worked at McDermott (More than a year)

Pros

Diversified, International locations, Used to have a better work life balance. Close to the energy corridor.

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of Strategy, No Employee Recognition.

Advice to Management

Have a long term vision for the growth of the company.

8. I have been under utilized for my experience.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Designer Subsea in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Designer Subsea in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to be utilized to the maximum of my capabilities. I would enjoy having meaningful and challenging work to look forward to on a daily basis. I can bring multiple years of experience to the organization.

Cons

I do not forsee any challenges with the exception of not being able to travel or go offshore.

Advice to Management

I am well versed in the offshore industry from installation companies to engineering firms.

9. EPC modelled on the Public Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at McDermott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remuneration is good but not great business is technically driven so if you have technical related skills you will be part of the committee the drives the agenda every other discipline is subservient to engineering

Cons

Leadership behave like public servants (Yes Prime Minister) and get into positions through length of tenure - Asian / European culture clash - the one reinforces a strict hierarchical culture which to the other considers to be out-dated. If one were to list the characteristics of a negative unproductive culture MDR would tick 80% of the box's.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape designed to dilute individual accountability, conduct a top top to bottom review of process's and procedures and develop a culture of empowerment & accountability.

Poor Management & Leadership

I have been working at McDermott

Pros

Average Benefits, Different Benefits for Directors and above

Cons

Poor Management & Leadership, Low Moral Across Entire Company, Lack of Appreciation show to workforce

Advice to Management

Show some leadership and hire management that have basic management skills.

Downhill Quickly

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

McDermott used to be a great place to work. They treated the employees very good and people wanted to work hard, they took pride in working for this company.

Cons

Benefits have been reduced. Bonus's are non existent unless you're upper management. Management doesn't listen to the engineers that do the work, causing much waste. Turnover is getting extremely high. Upper management only cares about themselves.

Advice to Management

Try listening to the workers more. Also by not offering better benefits your losing the cream of the crop. Which will drive McDermott into the ground eventually.

RSS Feed </> Embed