McDonald's

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 3,096 reviews

McDonald's President & CEO Don Thompson

Don Thompson

Pros
  • The best thing about working here is literally only the free food you get at break time if that(in 244 reviews)

• This being the case they have flexible hours and are willing to work around your schedule(in 199 reviews)

Cons
  • As you should expect, every crew member was at or very near the minimum wage level(in 156 reviews)

• There are very long hours that do seem to get in the way of my social life(in 104 reviews)

3,096 Employee Reviews

A great place to learn people skills and coping skills.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsIf you work for a corporate McDonald's the benefits are pretty good, especially if you are willing to become a certified swing or higher. As a department manager and college student, the most exciting benefits are tuition reimbursement and 3 weeks of paid vacation per year. Advancement opportunities seem to be limited only by your willingness to step up.

ConsFast food can be surprisingly stressful; many customers think lowly of food workers and will be condescending, and they will often act as though you have intentionally targeted them when mistakes happen. Being on your feet all day in a relatively fast paced environment is exhausting. Your pay is based on the simplicity of the job, but it often is not enough to compensate for the stress. It takes a special patience and truly unconditional love for the general population to actually want to pursue a career in McDonald's.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, I feel like McDonald's as a whole is a great company. My only real complaint is with the increasing complexity of newer products; some newer products have been proven by the corporate testers to take longer to make than is considered acceptable by McDonald's expectations.

Overworked and underpaid

Crew Member/Grill Cook (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy co-workers made my experience as a line cook less miserable, and if you are looking for a good sweat this is the job for you.

ConsIt's a constant fast paced environment, that you rarely will ever become used to because of tiring work. They demand a lot out of you and expect you to produce with a smile on your face but there seems to be no appreciation of your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensate your employees.

A good place to work if only to get experience under your belt with customers and to earn some cash.

Server (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGet discounted food.
    The managers were very straightforward and pleasant.
    The job is not to difficult and most of the time there was little stress.

ConsCustomers can be difficult to deal with depending on where the McDonald's restaurant is.
    Not a lot of hours available.
    Minimum wage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are fried.

Cashier (Former Employee) Boise, TX

ProsMy boss was super cool.

ConsCustomers aren't patient enough for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore customer appreciation.

Base Job

ProsFree food & flexible hours

ConsHarsh environment & terribly underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more raises.

You are probably not going to like it, but you will learn great customer service skills.

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours. Great for a first job for teenagers. Teaches you responsibility, how to talk to people, and how to get along with coworkers. It's an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

ConsSo many of the managers are terrible. Practically anyone can become a manager if they have been there long enough but that's just about the only criteria. I had several managers act like inappropriate children towards me.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose your store managers more wisely.

My 24+ years with the company provided me with experience of working in a multi-cultural environment, and training

Store Manager (Former Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsI feel the best quality of McDonalds is the extensive training classes and literature ., that provides growth within the company

ConsThe main Con of my experience was the abuse of power and integrity of a select few in high positions

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to anyone considering this company is to learn all you can, because the brand is in a competitive market, but always have great integrity

Manager

Manager (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsI could not think of any pros

ConsWorking with people that are only there for a paycheck. They could care less about customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training is needed for employees

Salesperson

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEasy job, free food, coffee

ConsNasty manager, full of stupid people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers who can manage..not some hoodrats

Meh..

Crew Trainer (Former Employee) Streator, IL

ProsThey were very flexible with hours.

ConsOver worked & under paid. I hated dealing with all the high school workers who didnt care at all about their job. Their benefits were terrible, didnt have dental or vision and the healthcare alone was expensive! It wouldve been cheaper to just go get insurance somewhere else. They also cut bonuses & any kind of rewards they used to give while I worked there. They even fired one of the BEST assistant managers they had ever seen while I was there, which was my actual reason for leaving. She always made sure everything was done and going smoothly, more so then ANY other manager there and yet they fired her for supposedly getting a "bad mystery shop" which MULTIPLE other managers had done previously yet nothing happened to them...convenient since she was costing a bit on their insurance end....

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with better perks. & quit firing the good management while keeping the ones who are terrible

Worked for McDonald's? Contribute to the Community!