McDonald's

McDonald's Reviews in Oak Brook, IL

Updated Jul 14, 2014

McDonald's President & CEO Don Thompson

Don Thompson

Pros
  • The best thing about working here is literally only the free food you get at break time if that(in 243 reviews)

• This being the case they have flexible hours and are willing to work around your schedule(in 198 reviews)

Cons
  • As you should expect, every crew member was at or very near the minimum wage level(in 155 reviews)

• There are very long hours that do seem to get in the way of my social life(in 104 reviews)

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Accounting Supervisor

Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat people, good work life balance, great benefits, good salary, overall a great place to work.

Constakes a long time to hire staff

Advice to Senior Managementmake all departments on the same level, some benefits in other departments are better.

McDonald's Headquarters is a great place to work. As an intern, I am making lasting connections that will help my career

US IT Store Systems Development & Integration (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsAwesome Cororate Culture!
    I enjoy going to work everyday.

ConsIf I am ever working past 5 o'clock, traffic on 88 is absolutely horrible.

Great!!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsMulticultural, Multiple projects ongoing would help get in touch with all IT ascpects

ConsNo proper training. You have to work for it by your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould try to change intern life at McDonalds. Interns don't get much opportunity to interact with each other

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, bad management

Digital Asset/Metadata Librarian (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGood experience working with a team, learning the day to day needs of a huge corporation. Felt awesome knowing that my position was actually valuable to such a large corporation

ConsTerrible management, was expected to pull double duty and help out teams I was not affiliated with, had no knowledge or experience doing the work that they did. No benefits. EVERYONE seemed to buy into the corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the middleman and don't use staffing agencies to hire for full time positions.

First Job and it's not bad

Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsFlexible hours and free food if you work at least 6 hours

ConsPay is not all that great

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out once in a while instead of micromanage.

Excellent company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsExcellent work balance schedule, you can work from home, flexible hours too.

ConsAdvancement is subject to restaurant experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing with the work balance schedule.

What it's like to work for the Golden Arches

Coordinator (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat benefits, such as sabbatical every 10 years, great vacation time off. The leadership really cares about their people.

ConsIt's a pro-boss company. Sometime the directors don't act like true leaders, but more like micro managers. It's also very political, However, I am sure you get that everywhere. They talk about diversity, however, I don't feel like it is true diversity... it's almost like it is taken too far.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to send out the commitment surveys and take the responses seriously

Cultural Fit is Everything

Director (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsMcDonald's is a fascinating company with really interesting challenges if you have patience. It's a strong company with a long-standing track record of results. When times are good, there are always innovative projects to challenge you. The breadth of initiatives can be amazing and energizing. I worked in a global role, so the range of business challenges was especially diverse. Yet, the resistance to actually fund, develop and implement innovative ideas is even more powerful. Getting something implemented is usually an exhausting process, however, when something builds momentum, it can be especially rewarding. The company has really good benefits and can be a great place to build a long term career if you fit the culture. Similarly, opportunities for training and career growth are outstanding if you fit.

ConsIf you don't fit the culture, you should expect a rocky ride provided you get into the company in the first place (which is far from easy). The strong, operations-focused culture values those who grow up in the business. That's great for those who start there and not so great for those who enter later in their career. The attrition rate of those who come from the outside is very high. Relationships are everything so either you have a long history with people to build them or you focus disproportionately on building them. While there are many bright and talented people, those traits are generally less valued and recognized than relationships and hands- on experience. If you don't fit the mold, being bright or especially talented won't help you. Having the best experience from outside is generally not respected because the company is so inwardly focused. If it hasn't been initiated and proven within the company, it's not likely to be a good idea. Resistance to outside ideas is stifling. It's not to say that there aren't many good ideas internally, but outside ideas are usually repelled. I understand that the company is trying to change this, but you don't overcome 59 years of DNA just through your latest management mandate. Because it's not a necessarily a meritocracy, the politics can be especially intense. If you like political gamesmanship and a high ratio of passive-aggressive co-workers, you'll feel at home. While results certainly matter, there are plenty of examples of "successful" people who advance based more on cultural fit than other tangible factors.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you've always done something a certain way doesn't make it effective. Once something becomes part of the standard operating procedure doesn't mean it should always remain that way. Yes, the culture of continuous improvement is strong, but sometimes incrementally improving something that's no longer effective won't make it worth doing in the first place. If you zero-based more initiatives, you could make room for the investments that can really drive results rather than sustaining countless programs that no longer pay their way.

Rich company culture that embraces diversity and rewards performance

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat benefits, better than most employers.
    Very good job stability and security, especially if you have good performance.
    Good work ethics across the board. Top management knows how to motivate people and increase team morale.

ConsToo many meetings that don't quite give you a sense of accomplishment.
    Sometimes the work is not interesting or challenging enough, but I guess you can say that about most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe performance review system could definitely use some improvement, as there is no way to differentiate between a good performer and a mediocre one. Other than that, keep up the good work.

business analyst -

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGrowth, Value , working with vendors

Consmore work, high stress, no training

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people

Worked for McDonald's? Contribute to the Community!