McDonald's

3,781 Reviews

McDonald's President & CEO Don Thompson
Don Thompson
1,103 Ratings

Pros
  • Free food is probably the best thing about it, but gets sickening after a month (in 298 reviews)

• Flexible hours and you learn a lot about management that can apple to any career (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • As you should expect, every crew member was at or very near the minimum wage level (in 183 reviews)

• It wasn't unusual to work though the shift with only a 15 minute break Rude customers (in 128 reviews)

More Highlights

Rich company culture that embraces diversity and rewards performance

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, better than most employers.
    Very good job stability and security, especially if you have good performance.
    Good work ethics across the board. Top management knows how to motivate people and increase team morale.

Cons

Too many meetings that don't quite give you a sense of accomplishment.
    Sometimes the work is not interesting or challenging enough, but I guess you can say that about most jobs.

The performance review system could definitely use some improvement, as there is no way to differentiate between a good performer and a mediocre one. Other than that, keep up the good work.

Good learning experience, but this job generally involves a lot of drama.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy promotions, nice supervisors and owners, good chance to make friends, good learning experience in reference to teamwork, etc.

Cons

So much drama. McDonald's itself is like a small town. Tell someone a secret, next day everyone knows and it's a rumor evolved so that it doesn't even make sense anymore.

Make sure you are being a good role model. Always crack down on the lazy people. If you have time to lean, you have time to clean. ;)

Top Notch Benefits

Current Employee - General Manager in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Asheville, NC

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid vacation (managers), advancement opportunities, free/discount meals, free uniform and shoes, flexible hours, health insurance at superb rates, and finally a great atmosphere.

Cons

Making sure you have patience and maintain a smile even when dealing with upset customers.

Clarity on benefits to crew people to help restaurant managers have the ability to explain in detain.

Good

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McDonald's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good culture, good money

Cons

Long hours, more time off

McDonald's is a great place to begin your work experience, and there are plenty opportunities for advancement.

I worked at McDonald's

Pros

If you are willing to put the work in and do your part, there are many opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

I did run into some higher-ups who did not believe in respecting the people working for them, but you just have to stand your ground.

It was awesome

Former Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Spokane, WA

I worked at McDonald's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent food and cool people. The equipment is very fun to run and operate. I love hamburgers. It was a great fun company.

Cons

Low pay and greasy food. The managers seemed to be very strict and didn't allow any slack time for talking or other activities.

Be nicer and have more fun

Amazing

Former Employee - Cook in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Cook in Yuma, AZ

I worked at McDonald's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to eat as many burgers as you want

Cons

low pay
    long hours
    work/life balance
    hourly rate

manage better

Great First Job

Former Employee - Crew Member in Ithaca, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Ithaca, MI

I worked at McDonald's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place for a first job; diverse duties are performed in a structured and systematic environment. Great opportunity for customer service experience.

Cons

Some fellow employees will not be the most motivated individuals, including some managers. Customers can sometimes be unnecessarily rude, but it is a good opportunity to learn how to deal with such situations, which you will encounter in any career.

A Great First Job Experience, But Beyond That, Not Worth It

Former Employee - McDonalds Crew Trainer
    Former Employee - McDonalds Crew Trainer

I worked at McDonald's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of hours. They'll work you to the bone if you let them, which leaves you with a nice paycheck every two weeks.
    -Depending on your shift (I worked the closing shift for two years, and the opening shift for two years) the team environment is amazing. Fun, high energy, competitive, silly. Our store was very laid back, and thought it was funny when we answered drive through orders in odd accents.
    -.20 cent raise every 6 months, along with a review of your performance
    -Quality training and 90 probation period (plenty of time for you to get to know the place)
    -Free food and endless coffee
    -If you do well, you get promoted fast. Like 6 months in. You go from Crew, to Crew Trainer, to Swing Manager, and then possibly Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager.

Cons

-If you work over time, you don't get paid over time. They cut your hours for the following week and roll your over time hours into that week to make it look like it all evens out. We actually used to get penalized for working overtime, even though VERY OFTEN our managers would beg us to continue working 3 or 4 hours past our shift.

-It's extremely difficult to change your shift. Almost impossible actually. I remember several of my coworkers begging to at least be on a rotating schedule, so that they didn't have to close every night, and there was no sympathy from management. I remember asking to be switched to morning shift, and i said to my manager, "I can't remember the last sunset I've seen that wasn't out that drive through window." and I was told, "That's sad." and dismissed. You have to really put your foot down to get your shift changed, and when they do change it, your hours shrink to almost nothing.

-If you go on vacation, you get replaced. For a full year I worked the morning shift on the weekends. I went to Disneyland and was gone for one weekend, and I never got that shift again. It's that quick.

-You get quick promotions, but i don't recommend going farther than Crew Trainer. It's just not worth it. Managers only get paid an extra dollar, and they put up with twice the stress of Crew Trainers. You could work for years and get your 6 month raises and eventually work up to a decent hourly pay, but you could also find another entry level job and start out getting paid that much. Great for the resume, great for the experience, bad for a long term career plan.

McDonalds is a fabulous first job, and it's even fabulous for 3 to 5 years. But beyond that, I'd say move on unless you think you have a really good chance at running a store. I hope this is helpful to people. It really, honestly is a great job in the beginning. You'll have fun, you'll learn a lot, and you'll gain really valuable work experience. Plus, McDonalds is a job that you can ALWAYS return to. ALWAYS. 20 years down the road, if you have it on your resume, they'll take you back. It's a safety net I'm thankful to have.

Crew Trainer

Former Employee - Crew Trainer in Pilot Point, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Trainer in Pilot Point, TX

I worked at McDonald's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good chance for advancement and competitive pay. Very flexible hours and easy work. Usually close to get to and availability to transfer stores is endless.

Cons

The competitive pay is sometimes very lacking and you don't get alot of hours in lower positions. You come home and smell like grease and food for the rest of the week.

Sit down with your employees more and make them feel little more valuable. Also evaluate some employees more closely cause some are very shady, not to the point of singling them out but use discretion.