McDonald's

3.1 2,632 reviews

McDonald's President & CEO Don Thompson

Don Thompson

2,632 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Free food flexible hrs usually nice colleagues that work there at least in my case"
    in 201 reviews
  • "flexible hours if you are still in school and also good experience looks good on a resume"
    in 163 reviews
Cons:
  • "As you should expect, every crew member was at or very near the minimum wage level"
    in 127 reviews
  • "Rude customers on the daily(most of them think your retarded)"
    in 92 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An environment of friendly staff is all you need.

Cashier (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at McDonald's full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work is just as challenging as any burger joint. Placed on the register. Take orders. Make soda. Toss fries. Stock on napkins and straws. Mop the floor. It's pretty self explanatory for the most part. The managers and coworkers were my best friends the whole way through. No one ever has a problem. Sometimes they would hire some one who will blankly stare at your face if you say hi to them, which is sorta creepy. But the staff was always on my side. Even if I got angry customers they would defend me and always reached out an arm for me when I would be stuck.

ConsThe pay is low and you won't really go anywhere with the type of money you make in any mcdonalds. But the environment can be excellent if it's surrounded by excellent people is what I think counts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being supportive and friendly to your staff.

Great company with plenty of opportunity to grow.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Asheboro, NC

I have been working at McDonald's full-time for more than a year

ProsMedical benefits, flexible hours and payed vacations.

ConsOverwhelming responsibilities, opportunity in proper training.

Great place to work when you need to make some cash.

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Owosso, MI

I have been working at McDonald's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe scheduling is fantastic. Good work environment. You make a lot of good friends here. So much room for advancement.

ConsIts minimum wage, so (with the hours you get) you may feel like its not quite enough. Raises don't occur often enough and even if you work your butt of you may only get the very minimum raise allotted. Would be nice to get more hours.

Great first job

Cashier (Former Employee)
Middleton, WI

I worked at McDonald's part-time for more than a year

ProsThis was an easy job, great way to get experience

ConsTime consuming for minimum wage

Lots of opportunities for personal/professional growth, if you actually try.

Swing Shift Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at McDonald's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a crew, you get hella flexible scheduling, discounted food (usually), and a lotta hours. As for management, corporate is big on training and growth, so you can get a lot of quality training. And as you progress in management, they provide even more training opportunities. I've heard they offer great benefits packages - never took advantage myself though. Finally, you meet a lot of interesting people working for a company with a high turnover rate :)

ConsFast-paced setting can often strain coworker relations. I've noticed that corporate-owned restaurants (as compared to one under an owner-operator) pay quite a bit less and are less likely to give out raises. Swing shifts can completely ruin your whole week--you may feel like you never see the outside of your workplace! And, lastly, you can't forget about the brutal putdowns from dissatisfied customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsking questions should not be seen as a form of challenge to authority, annoyance, or indication of weakness. A question is simply a request for more knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask some of your own!

Bad

Cashier (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at McDonald's part-time for more than a year

ProsGot money, that was literally the only part I enjoyed

ConsBoss would yell constantly, I was never able to eat McDonald's food either, barely got any time scheduled, once had stuff stolen form me while I was working, and the worst part was that everyone who was there hated being there

Great advancement opportunities

Crew Trainer (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at McDonald's part-time for less than a year

ProsAdvance quickly, pay raise every 6 months, and really flexible.

ConsManagers and crew members are late often, and speak profanities, as well as slack off but that is very few co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve on training some crew members.

Great place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McDonald's

Prosbenefits, free food, room to grow, plenty of hours

Conspay is not high, wish it was!

Advice to Senior Managementdoing big thnings

Awesome

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Aurora, IL

I have been working at McDonald's part-time for less than a year

ProsYou grow close with your crew and managers. There are employee outings, during the summer once McDonald's crew members were invited to go bowling, free for them and family members. During the summers you get a good amount of hours as it can get quite busy. As well as during the holiday season. Black friday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve. It gets really crazy but you get a good opportunity to work many hours. On Black Friday I worked from 1am-11:30am The customers came in non-stop waves. It was insane. The pay is decent so it was worth it seeing that paycheck. Uniforms are also free and we get 50% off food, sometimes free if you have a cool manager.

ConsHours can get long and mindless when not busy. During the slow season (January-April for us) hours are almost cut in half. Less hours equals low pay. Managers often ask you to go home early during this time which can be inconvenient. Customers are rude sometimes. When you first start, the first two weeks they only really give you 3-4 hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to train crew. I've worked there for 8 month and there's still many things I need to learn, but otherwise everything else seems great. Keep it up!

I worked in three different departments (as a temp) for a little over a year and it was an exceptional experience.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at McDonald's as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe corporate culture is outstanding. All of the employees are very professional, patient and willing to teach you the computer systems and other office procedures that are part of the job description.Because of the results during my first 6 week assignment, I was able to secure another position (temp) in a different department. The employees are very friendly and treat you like "McFamily"

ConsBecause there is little to no turnover of employees, it is difficult to obtain a temp-to-hire position.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause my experience there was so positive, and everything runs smoothly, I don't know what they could do better.

Worked for McDonald's? Contribute to the Community!

McDonald's Videos

McDonald's – Why Work for Us?

Can you imagine a world without the Big Mac? Or Chicken McNuggets? Or Happy Meals? Luckily, back in 1954, a man named Ray Kroc discovered a small burger restaurant in California, and wrote the first page of our history… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McDonald's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McDonald's CEO Don Thompson. All 2,632 reviews posted anonymously by McDonald's employees.