McDonald's

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 3,096 reviews

McDonald's President & CEO Don Thompson

Don Thompson

Pros
  • The best thing about working here is literally only the free food you get at break time if that(in 244 reviews)

• This being the case they have flexible hours and are willing to work around your schedule(in 199 reviews)

Cons
  • As you should expect, every crew member was at or very near the minimum wage level(in 156 reviews)

• There are very long hours that do seem to get in the way of my social life(in 104 reviews)

3,096 Employee Reviews

Few resources to meet high expectations

Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsServing the public can be tough, but can also be fun, in the right environment and with the right people. While some of the customer base is a little downmarket, there are enough nice folks who appreciate your efforts to provide them with great service, and who appreciate prompt response to any problems.

ConsAs a manager in the licensee community, the expectations are to maintain profit margins at the expense of service to the customer, and to long-term growth. Much lip service is given to metrics like service times, etc, but these are often at odds with payroll expectations, for example. Administrative duties can't be completed on a timely basis during the course of one's shift; it's impossible to complete schedules or a delivery order when one has to be the drive-thru runner! There was also a resistance to using new-technology tools to perform administrative tasks such as inventory control and ordering, or to take shortcuts such as would render those tools less effective than they could be,

As an older employee, I found much preference was given to advance younger employees whose pay expectations are lower, as well as (in my organization) a bias against male employees. The culture there was very much a "girls club", as opposed to more balanced view of how well a particular restaurant was running.

Scheduling--the focus was on scheduling to do well during mystery shops, often at the expense of other dayparts that were just as busy, leading to under-staffing during "non-peak" (so-called) parts of the business day. (Doing well on mystery shops was incentivized with a bonus program). There is much emphasis on being a "working manager", which really is code-word for "crew person in a different shirt".

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've earned your bad press, and your low standing in the perception of the public! Pay more, and remember that the people that work for you work to live, not live to work.

Horrible management

Mcdonalds Crew Member (Current Employee) Atchison, KS

ProsFree food during a break
    Co-workers are great

ConsThe one here in atchison, we are required to serve bad food, food that is past the expiration tine because the managers want to look good.
    One manager in paticular is trying to get me fired all I work now is 2 hour shifts.
     dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the store and start throwing food out when it's expired.

Good service

ProsGreat teamwork learning experiences, and flexibility of scheduling

ConsWorking in here requires no experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Company In General

Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe only pros about working in this company is being able to eat fries every once in a while. I actually love fries with ketchup. I enjoyed seeing friendly people pass by and order their usual. I liked seeing families be happy together in a non-expensive dining experience. I even enjoyed the little toys being updated.

ConsFor all the small enjoyments, the cons far outweigh the benefits of working in a terrible capitalist company like McDonald's. The place stank of low-quality food. I knew that the people coming in had mostly a poor understanding of their diets and it was painful to see families feeding their kinds so much junk. The place draws you in with their marketing schemes and spits out garbage food. It is unfortunate that this fast food experience exists, no matter it's past successes in improving the human food manufacturing system.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust get rid of the whole thing.

Not good at all.

McDonalds Crew (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsYou make alot of friends and it builds your confidence.

ConsThey claim to give you flexible hours and work arround your schedule... THEY DONT! My store manager does not care about employees' concerns. He is too strict, everyone is scared of him and he puts some of the employees under pressure and they end up doing something wrong and they mess up because of that. I really needed to be focused on school and I also needed a job at the same time and as soon as I thought I was going to go home at 10ish p.m. they would tell me at the last minute to wash the dishes. I personally am not sexist but I think guys should wash dishes and do the heavy stuff. It takes me about 4 hours to wash the dishes and I would end up going home arround 2-3 in the morning (5 hours before a final at school) and they knew verry well that I needed to graduate and they knew I was having trouble at school and they STILL would keep me working that late! They NEVER put the pretty girls on lobby or the kitchen. I am bilingual, I speak spanish and english and they would ALWAYS put me on lobby and only lobby. Sometimes I would work from 3pm to 11pm till we closed lobby without any break. I would work 8 hour shifts and I would ask the manager if I could sit down for a little while and they would never let me, THAT IS NOT LEAGAL!! Since we are young they think we don't know our rights (although alot of the kids there dont) and take advantage of us. They hire too many people and cut everyones hours. I have been working their for 10 months and they have never asked me,if I wanted to be a crew trainer. I know how to do everything!! Just 2 months ago 2 girls started and they are promoting to be crew trainers (they dont know how to do half of the stuff) and they have not asked me !! This is the 3rd time that I have gotten 5 hours in a whole WEEK!!!! I just cannot wait untill I get another job so I can quit !! MCDONALD'S IS SO UNFAIR

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Working at McDonald's was alright but it gets old after a while.

McDonalds Cashier (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe discount on food was about the only good thing.

ConsThe hours are long if you work overnight. You work like a dog and get paid almost nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

A few rotten apples spoil the bunch (Corporate office)

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsSalary and overall compensation package (bonus, company car), fringe benefits (nice hotels when traveling, etc), some really lovely people to work with, but...

ConsA few terrible managers poison the work environment, employee motivation and, ultimately, business performance. Unfortunately, HR is unwilling to do anything about it except offer anyone who speaks up about it a severance package (3 so far in one year!). The type of person who can survive here is one who is willing to do as they are told, not ask questions, and kiss up to senior management. This is not a meritocracy. Also know that you need to be willing to travel constantly and deal with high levels of stress (former employees have had to seek counseling as a result of working in this team).

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with the people who are causing everyone else to leave - you know who they are

Could be better...

ProsGood starting job for immigrants.

ConsNo promotion after some time, only certain people (who are close to the supervisors) get promoted.
    Racism a huge thing here.
    Low hours and low pay.

NO HOURS

Crew Member (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

Prosstaff, customers, somewhat works around your schedule,

ConsNo Hours, Horrible managers, roaches

just horrible there was no leadership half the supervisors knew less about the job than you did the setup of the restaur

Mcdonalds Fry Cook (Former Employee) Grantsboro, NC

Prosthere was no culture no personal growth no promotions honestly the only reason to work there is because you can't find anything else

Consthere was no training no compensation no leadership it was a joke horrible service the pay sucked only good for people still in high school or college

Advice to Senior Managementtrain better have better compensation and get better leaders

Worked for McDonald's? Contribute to the Community!