McDonald's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
McDonald's President and Chief Executive Officer Steve Easterbrook
Steve Easterbrook

Pros
  • easy brainless work - free food (in 298 reviews)

• Provided flexible hours whilst studying (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • Time consuming for minimum wage (in 183 reviews)

• the daily amount of rude customers (in 128 reviews)

6,477 Employee Reviews

1. 29+ years

Former Employee - General Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - General Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at McDonald's (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work can be rewarding & fun when you meet your goals Everyday is different! Meet people from all different walks of life Learn many skills that can carry over into other jobs

Cons

High stress, Must meet the mystery shop scores, Must meet quarterly plan, hold your team accountable to results as well as their department results. Hours are always different Expected to work 3 weekends a month & most holidays Must accomplish all tasks during non peak time which can be hard to do when people call in

Advice to Management

Must be good at managing your time or it can overrun your personal life! You must be able to hold others who work for you accountable to their results or you will ultimately be unsuccessful.

2. It's worth it only if you're too desperate

Current Employee - McDonalds Crew in Cologne (Germany)
    Current Employee - McDonalds Crew in Cologne (Germany)

I have been working at McDonald's full-time

Pros

If you're too desperate to find a job you can always go to McDonalds, they rarely reject applications. You learn how to communicate with people whom you would never meet or speak to outside McDonalds. The job at McDonalds makes you motivated to study harder and find a better job one day, especially after you meet your colleages and realize that most of them have no dreams or future plans.

Cons

For full-time crew members: Often you have this 4-5 hours period with so many people outside. During this period you have absolutely no time to have a rest, take a breath or even drink water. You don't have time to go to the toilet either, but you don't actually need it because even if you succeed to drink something then the heat in the kitchen and the constant rushing will instantly evaporate it in the form of sweat. They may put you on the cashier's desk on your very first day and very first hour and don't feel like explaining to you how does it work and where all the stuff are. Customers treat you like a trash just because you work there and they assume that you're not able to accomplish anything else in your life. You get burned on both the grill and the toaster every time you have to do something fast (so every day). It's painfull and it recovers slowly. My whole right hand is in scars... for only two weeks working in the kitchen. Minimum wage and slavery. Germany: 8.51 euro per working hour. Two cheeseburgers cost 4 euro. You work about 30 minutes for two cheeseburges, but for that time you make about 30 of them, as well as 30 hamburgers and probably 4 bigmacs/tasty bacon/whatever...

3. Can't complain of the pay from a fast food restaurant

Former Employee - Swing Manager in Horseheads, NY
    Former Employee - Swing Manager in Horseheads, NY

I worked at McDonald's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were Great !!! Met some great friends that I still keep in touch with. Best part was being able to give selected employees a higher raise with permission of owner because they went above and beyond their job.

Cons

We went through 3 store managers in a years time. It was hard to do our job while we were teaching them how to do theirs or doing it for them.

Advice to Management

Don't apply to be a store manager if you don't know the restuarant or store.

5. Not a bad first job

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were very willing to take someone with no experience. They were willing to pay attention to training and the managers were pretty good. Hard work was encouraged and expected and I felt like I was considered a real member of the team from the very beginning.

Cons

They wanted to make every dollar they possibly could. If someone came in and ordered a coffee they were allowed to sit in the lobby all night long. There were some regulars that stopped ordering anything all together and just hung out in the lobby. Managers also wanted to keep serving even when we should have closed up and started cleaning. It makes getting ready for the next shift much harder when we start with 20 or 30 minutes less then what we should have had. Compensation and benefits truly are bare bones but you can't be surprised at that.

Advice to Management

It's ok not to serve some people. In fact not letting the beggars to harass people would be good for business. I understand that you want to serve everyone but many take advantage of our willingness to serve and I get the feeling that's why people at McDonalds feel like they can say or do anything.

6. McDonalds

Former Employee - Crew Member in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at McDonald's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had fun at my job there were nice people i worked with and i worked good hours without being there all day.

Cons

I didnt make much money and i never really had the chance for advancement. Some of the management were not very nice.

7. mcdonalds

Current Employee - Cashier/Prep Cook in Surprise, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier/Prep Cook in Surprise, AZ

I have been working at McDonald's (More than a year)

Pros

serving happy customers, opportunity to move up

Cons

to many young immature kids , unprofessional managers, unsanitary!

Advice to Management

choose wisely your employes

8. Crew member

Pros

Friendly co-workers, nice and fun environment, sometimes.

Cons

Long hours, no recognition for a job well done, no flexibility in schedule, rude managers, can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Be more organized

9. Crew

Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Gosnells (Australia)
    Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Gosnells (Australia)

I have been working at McDonald's (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great first job - Can be flexible with hours

Cons

- Management lack skills - Can abuse student hours - Generally do not value employee wellbeing that much

10. Crew

Former Employee - CREE in Pickens, SC
    Former Employee - CREE in Pickens, SC

I worked at McDonald's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doing what you have to just to get your head back on right

Cons

Rushing throughluch and dinner time but being fast was great!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11. Its was good

Former Employee - McDonalds Cashier in Colchester, VT
    Former Employee - McDonalds Cashier in Colchester, VT

I worked at McDonald's (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job more for high school kids

Cons

Not many hours were given shifts were cut short so you didnt get a break

Showing 6,477 of 6,569 reviews