McGladrey LLP Reviews

• Boston, MA Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

My experience at McGladrey has been positive.

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity to have an impact.

Cons

The number of hours; but that's really more about the profession than the firm.

Mostly positive

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very team focused office, even among different business lines

Cons

Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year

Advice to Management

There's such an emphasis on work/life balance, but its impossible to achieve most times of the year based on the workload that's given - the result is a staff that feels management is dishonest.

3. Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Burlington, MA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good training progress and career development

Cons

during tax season, have to work overtime

Good experience, bad treatment by administrators

Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great public accounting experience here

Cons

High turnover rate. Yearly mass terminations.

Advice to Management

Take care of your current employees before hiring large classes each year.

Great experience...to take somewhere else.

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a great deal about consulting and the healthcare industry.

Cons

1) Although I knew my performance evaluations throughout the year were excellent, there was no formula for calculating raises or bonuses and I never knew what to expect. It was like senior management sat in a room and threw darts at a dart board to determine raises/bonuses. When I know how I performed and I know what my formal evaluations look like, I should be able to at least guess what my bonus will be within a reasonable amount. 2) Too many unknowns with respect to career advancement. No one could ever give me a straight answer (and it wasn't for lack of asking) about what I needed to do to advance and how long it would take. They just kept telling me I would be promoted soon. 3) Salary ranges for different levels are such a secret. How does anyone know they want to be at the next level if you can't tell them what compensation to expect for their efforts? 4) Senior management would never involve the front line workers in bidding/negotiating the number of hours for an engagement. Once the contract was signed, front line workers are stuck trying to figure out how to complete all the work promised in so few hours. Then, the project managers were held accountable if it couldn't be done. Senior management needs to get real when it comes to selling jobs. They are out of touch with the number of hours it takes to complete a job since they never do the detailed work and never involve people who actually do the work in the bid/contracting process. 5) Expensive medical/dental for a family. Premiums were a joke. I paid apprx $7,000/yr in premiums. Plus, there was a $500 annual deductible on the medical, per person. You're paying thousands of dollars a year out of your pocket before insurance even contributes to anything. 6) 401k was nothing to brag about. It matched up to 3% per year and the company only deposits its share once a year, which means lost interest for employees. This was the worst 401k plan I've ever had -- but not by much. 7) Managers don't have much decision-making authority, even on the smaller issues.

Advice to Management

Humble yourselves enough to actually talk to your front line workers and get their feedback/input, even on business strategy. You'll be surprised at what they can teach you. Fix the benefits, they're terrible!!!!

Getting better since it was reacquired by the partners.

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting better all the time - the company is interested in developing its professionals. Management has been good about showing their appreciation for effort and talent.

Cons

Same downsides as any public accounting job; long hours, etc. If you aren't interested in working hard then public accounting isn't right for you anyway.

8. Positive so far

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is comparable to the market Benefits (401k) Culture is more relaxed than big 4

Cons

Work/ Life balance Don't get a lot of time off

9. Good firm that is doing the right things to position for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

up and coming firm, lots of opportunity

Cons

in a time of growth, there is a lot of work to do

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

McGladrey in Boston is a horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Assurance Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assurance Supervisor in Boston, MA

Pros

I worked with many great people over the years. You will come accross some very smart and wonderful people.

Cons

Unfortunately there are just as many unpleasant people working there, people who expect you to do there job and your own. Senior management is not supportive. The Boston office environment is cut throat and there is a great deal of back stabbing and management trying to shift blame down on to their supervisors, seniors and staff. Do not expect to have a life working here, however also expect to be given ridiculous expectations as far as budgets and lack of help. This is the worst work experience I have had in the past 20 years. When I began at McGladrey I did not feel this way, and I can only speak to the Boston office environment. Working in this office is a thankless job where nothing you ever do will be good enough.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility - for you people - show them respect.

poor experience, and getting worse nearly every day

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Semi valuable public accounting experience. Can free coffee/soda be considered an actual pro? At least I still receive a paycheck.

Cons

Company is CHEAP. Morale couldn't possibly be much lower. Turnover is very high. Unable to provide quality services to clients due to a lack of sufficiently skilled resources.

Advice to Management

If you want to provide world class services, you need to recruit, pay and retain world class employees. Due to low morale and high turnover, the best people have already left and the remaining employees are struggling to conduct the daily fire drills.

RSS Feed </> Embed