McGladrey LLP

Updated December 15, 2014
3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time (in 50 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • or there was nothing to do; minimal work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

McGladrey in Boston is a horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Assurance Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assurance Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

I worked with many great people over the years. You will come accross some very smart and wonderful people.

Cons

Unfortunately there are just as many unpleasant people working there, people who expect you to do there job and your own. Senior management is not supportive. The Boston office environment is cut throat and there is a great deal of back stabbing and management trying to shift blame down on to their supervisors, seniors and staff. Do not expect to have a life working here, however also expect to be given ridiculous expectations as far as budgets and lack of help. This is the worst work experience I have had in the past 20 years. When I began at McGladrey I did not feel this way, and I can only speak to the Boston office environment. Working in this office is a thankless job where nothing you ever do will be good enough.

Take responsibility - for you people - show them respect.

Good firm that is doing the right things to position for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

up and coming firm, lots of opportunity

Cons

in a time of growth, there is a lot of work to do

Keep doing what you are doing

poor experience, and getting worse nearly every day

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Semi valuable public accounting experience.
    Can free coffee/soda be considered an actual pro?
    At least I still receive a paycheck.

Cons

Company is CHEAP.
    Morale couldn't possibly be much lower.
    Turnover is very high.
    Unable to provide quality services to clients due to a lack of sufficiently skilled resources.

If you want to provide world class services, you need to recruit, pay and retain world class employees. Due to low morale and high turnover, the best people have already left and the remaining employees are struggling to conduct the daily fire drills.

Overworked and Underpaid

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Good location and really nice office. Subsidized cafe serves very good lunches. Good commeraderie among co-workers as everyone has the same complaints. Public accounting is a good choice for burgeoning careers. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Wages are low compared to other accounting firms or private industry. 2011 raises averaged 3%, incentive bounes were around $2,000. Management talks to work/life balance but it really doesn't exist. Turn over is high, which hurts not only moral, but client relationships.

Money matters. Dont' wait until employees quit to offer them the money they deserve. In the long run, you are better off paying employees a competative wage, as opposed to incurring the cost to replace and retrain.

Work/Life Balance? LOL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

- Good salary if you don't think of it in terms of an hourly wage
    - Young Environment is nice

Cons

- Hours are a joke (very very very long + weekends)
    - No one takes time to teach you anything
    - High turnover rate

Learn how to use the audit software, its not 1975 anymore. How can we expect to learn when the managers have no idea how to use computers?

Pick another firm if you are coming out of college

Former Employee - Audit Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Audit Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

The work-life balance is very good. They do let you work from home on occassion and give you laptops to work remotely. I was given time off in the off-peak season to see my kids quite a bit.

Cons

I was in on many manager meetings and they always talked about hiring people who can simply walk and talk. They don't really care about who they bring in because they know they will leave in a year or two after they work them into the ground. There are NO raises, bonuses or perks of any kind. You fear for your job from day one because people get laid off for no reason. They would rather lay off a talented associate who has a mind of his own and keep a less talented person whom they can brainwash. If people leave voluntarily, they really don't care because there are other people who can walk and talk looking for jobs. A partner called me into his office and told me that I was a valued employee and a good manager. This maid me feel good. He went on to say that I would not be part of the layoffs they have at the end of each month so I could breathe easy. I thought this was great! Very courteous. Anyway, about six months after this meeting, I was laid off. When I mentioned my little "guarantee" the partner denied ever telling me this!!! This was probably because the HR rep was in the room with us.

I have seen young kids right out of college break down and cry due to the stress of the busy season. One girl just got yelled at for putting in 58 hours the week before instead of the required 60+. She mentioned that she was only getting paid for 40 hours. She was fired for mentioning this the following Friday.

As a Manager I was often asked to basically make life miserable for people they wanted to lay off. I had trouble doing this as I did not think it was ethical. The reason for this was to make people quit so they would not have to pay them during the spring, summer or fall. I stopped doing this after a while and I was told I was "not a team player."

Save yourself the headache and work somewhere else.

Develop a policy of ethics and hold to it. Do not lie to employees and treat your office like a revolving door. Friday lay off day is fun for no one. Your reputation is souring. When I was looking for a new company after I was let go for no reason, people would look at my resume and say "Ugg, Mcladrey! What was THAT like?" Not a reputation you want to have. Also, don't be afraid to audit public companies. They make more money than the not for profits you focus on. There is no money in auditing not for profits. Maybe with this extra revenue you could give someone a raise once in a while.

typical public accounting firm

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

McGladrey & Pullen is a great brand name to have on your resume and great place to begin your career. They offer lots of training.

Cons

Just like any public accounting firm there are very long hours during certain parts of the year and high stress environment.

Do better job of making employees feel valued with better pay, more praise, better feedback, and better work life balance.

Don't work for this company

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Quincy, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

The other employees (not top management) are friendly.

Cons

They overwork you. Their notion of work-life balance is false. There is no life balance. Expectations of you to change your vacation time after working everyday for 4 months at the beginning of the year because they want you to go to a client's office in the summer is ridiculous. Very bottom line driven. They fire people who work too much or too little, there is no rhyme or reason for all the firings, except maybe to them. After receiving an awesome review, I was let go because of poor performance. Does that make sense to you???

Management needs to get a better grasp of what is going on at this company. There is so much overhead between the auditors and tax staff to the heads of the company.

Senior Audit Role at M&P

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Quincy, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Steep learning curve and ability to gain a wide array of accounting and audit experience quickly. McGladrey offers unparalleled access to mid sized companies and the ability to work with management/ownership of many clients.

Cons

Although McGladrey markets itself as being a company strongly focused on work life balance, few if any of their programs to follow through on that tag line are effective or realistic.

Revise the summer flex hour plan, in its current form it's not a real strong benefit. Rethink busy season and ways to truly be the employer who values work life balance - initiatives don't have to be ground breaking, maybe a flex weekend off in the middle or some form of a rotating schedule.