McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 15, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm(in 44 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year(in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season(in 32 reviews)

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

McGladrey LLP is a great place to work

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to gain lots of experience. Clear promotion track. Great place to start a career.

ConsLong hours during busy season. Some traveling.

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible summer hours allow for a healthy work life balance during the off season as well as the lull before February.

ConsMcGladrey will run you to the ground and not compensate you for any of your hardwork, dedication or excellence. They treat their managers the worst.

I enjoy my time at McGladrey in the IT side of things.

IT Coordinator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company, and there are plenty fo projects to be a part of to expand your knowledge of the IT field.

ConsSenior management has no idea what it takes to complete the day to day tasks. They strictly just look at metrics when evaluating you and at times it feels like we are underappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more often with the teams, just to at least show you know what we are all involved in to keep the lights on everyday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Caste System

Administrative Staff (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent Pay Decent Benefits Good Technology That is about all there is positive. I can't even make up anything else.

ConsToo many chiefs. Prima Donna Directors/Principals. Complete lack of organization. Admins looked upon as nothing more than nail filers who can't possibly be working hard or doing anything at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your Directors/Principals/Partners step into the lives of the lowly admin in one of the most busy offices. Give them little to no guidance as to how you prefer things done then belittle them for not reading your mind...especially a new person. Dont let them work overtime without constant harassment or take a complete lunch break without being beckoned back to the office. Make sure that they know they no longer count in your system because they aren't earning billable hours anymore. Dont forget to keep adding things for them to do even after it's been proven time and again there is no more time in the day to add yet another process. Although I doubt it would matter because they can't actually do this job and actually can't seem to do their own without the help of dare I say it...AN ADMIN!

Risk Advisory Serv. Associate at McGladrey

Risk Advisory Services Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagement is really good to work with. Open door policy and event outings really make for good working relationships with others in the department, and director's know and communicate with even the newest associates.

ConsPublic accounting hours are not for everyone. No matter your team, you are going to work long, hard hours. Due to lack of training, poor team dynamic, and unrealistic goals, team's are often frustrated and individual's are not put in an opportunity to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to cross utilize your employees into other groups. That opportunity was presented to me upon hiring, but was not available once I was in the organization.

The McGladrey Experience

Consulting Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMcGladrey provides the breadth of experience that a young accountant should want, but still hasa lot of the influence that comes with a big four firm. They provide a great work-life balance, allowing 18 PTO days when you start, and providing flexible week schedules.

ConsSome projects you work on might end up being a bit dull, but usually you end up working on something else soon.

I have enjoyed working at McGladrey.

Tax Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are many dedicated, smart, and hardworking people at the company, and it is growing rapidly.

ConsThe busy seasons can be very intense, and it is difficult to have much time to do enjoyable things outside of work during the busy seasons.

Tax Associate

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGet experience through variety of types of returns, staff people are good to work with and flexible hours

ConsLong working hours during busy season and 40hours of work during non busy season. No bonus for staff.

Very nice people to work with.

Assurance Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNational firm
    Opportunities to travel
    Work life balance

ConsLong hours during busy season

Associate

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood training, coworkers were great as well.

ConsPay was slightly behind market, they work you haaard

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!