McGladrey LLP

Updated December 9, 2014
3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time (in 50 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • or there was nothing to do; minimal work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good learning opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to a wide range of clients, supportive team environment, high level of responsibility from day 1

Cons

Have to work with a variety of different leaders, some good, some bad. If you don't get put in the right industry out or school you could be in a concentration you don't like and have to transfer to another audit group

Work to understand the needs and desires of staff better

Disorganized

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume to have such a big company that you have worked for. I know it will possibly be the help I need for future job choices. I get no benefits, had minimum training, and because "i'm still in college" I do not qualify. I would only take a job here if you are offered a permenate possition when you are starting.

Cons

I have had minimum training on my work and I am treated as if I dont know how to do my own job even though I have worked hard to learn everything I needed to know. I do not get any benefits from the company because I am a full-time temp employee, even though i have been here for over a year. I was told that when i graduate college we would "discuss" the possibility of becoming a permenate employee, but there is someone who has graduated in May and he has yet to even recieve a raise and he was promised a permenate possition the 4 years he has been working here. I would only recommend this company if you are planning to find some other form of employment but just need a job to pay the bills.

The management needs to learn how to be proper manager. They all need to go back to school to learn how to actually be leaders of the company. The manager over me constantly takes his frustration with the company out on those who are unfortunite enough to work under him. There is a MAJOR issue of favoritism here.

Great company to work for. They treat employees very nice

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture, professional growth opportunities, great learning experience

Cons

Work-life balance: busy season is extremely hard

I wish the work-life balance during busy season was taken more serious so as jobs plannings. As such seniors wouldn't have to work 85 hours per week to meed deadlines.

Sr. Assoc

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great people who you can learn a lot from. Pretty good company overall.

Cons

In emerging departments, complete lack of organization. Work life balance is sometimes not existent.

Experience will depend on the region and the practice - needs more consistency

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to develop expertise in mid-market, this is the firm for you. They are not looking to be with the Big Four.

Cons

Highly regionalized and there's not much cross-selling and cross-functional teaming. Industry specialization is not quite there yet. There is a knowledge gap between them and the Big Four.

Partners need to live the brand and firm-wide strategy on a consistent basis. Firm values and mission are well developed, but the roll out has not been inconsistent.

McGladrey has been a great place to start my career.

Current Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive leadership, cross-training, relaxed culture.

Cons

Somewhat disorganized, lack of global recognition, too many inconsistencies across regions.

Continue to shore up the inconsistencies and focus on retaining your stars and the rest will take care of itself.

McGladrey LLP is a great place to work

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to gain lots of experience. Clear promotion track. Great place to start a career.

Cons

Long hours during busy season. Some traveling.

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible summer hours allow for a healthy work life balance during the off season as well as the lull before February.

Cons

McGladrey will run you to the ground and not compensate you for any of your hardwork, dedication or excellence. They treat their managers the worst.

I enjoy my time at McGladrey in the IT side of things.

Current Employee - IT Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company, and there are plenty fo projects to be a part of to expand your knowledge of the IT field.

Cons

Senior management has no idea what it takes to complete the day to day tasks. They strictly just look at metrics when evaluating you and at times it feels like we are underappreciated.

Communicate more often with the teams, just to at least show you know what we are all involved in to keep the lights on everyday.

The McGladrey Experience

Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

McGladrey provides the breadth of experience that a young accountant should want, but still hasa lot of the influence that comes with a big four firm. They provide a great work-life balance, allowing 18 PTO days when you start, and providing flexible week schedules.

Cons

Some projects you work on might end up being a bit dull, but usually you end up working on something else soon.