McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros:
  • "The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm"
    in 39 reviews
  • "You then get experience you don't get at Big 4 firms, but obviously with less pay"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance sometimes not maintained for the long work hours"
    in 30 reviews
  • "It is like any public accounting firms where you can expect to work long hours during busy season"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

When I first started it was great but when regional concept came in, it was never the same

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Stamford, CT

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I started the people were great. Opportunities provided and great environment

ConsOnce it became regionalized you only survived working their if you knew the right people and players, became super political.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of genuine hard working ICS people left because of your not honest folks who stayed

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

This is a "String of Regional Accounting Firms"

Consulting Senior Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a good infrastructure on national training at Q center, and decent employee benefits, and good exposure to clients at even at Jr levels. If you work hard, manager's are not going to stop you. You then get experience you don't get at Big 4 firms, but obviously with less pay. Your best bet is move to HQ in Chicago, or offices in the South or West where the clients in your Line of Business is growing.

ConsIt completely depends on which Line of Business you work in. Some just don't get it, while other businesses work cohesively within.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue as is and hope to get lucky winning new business through hard sales efforts.

Great people, great entry level positions right out of college as you learn rapidly.

Tax Associate (Former Employee)
Duluth, MN

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat learning opportunitys from working with other professionals and interacting with clients

ConsLong hours during busy season; expected.

Fast paced, long hours, great place to start your career

Audit Associate (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsExperience you will get, people you work with, opportunity for advancement, chance to travel, nation firm.

ConsLong hours, stressful, face paced, weekends gone, no control of your travel schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Good people, not good pay

Tax Manager (Current Employee)
Vienna, VA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are pleasant to deal with

ConsThe pay and increases aren't great

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

The Company is decent with large firm benefits, but the management is deplorable.

Assurance Associate (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are looking for a large CPA firm and don't want to go to Big 4, you could do a lot worse than McGladrey. The benefits are decent, the office is aesthetically pleasing, and most of the employees are friendly and helpful. Additionally, the firm has tremendous resources available to all employees in order to help them do their job. The firm utilizes a lot of cutting edge technology such as state of the art computer systems, portable 2nd monitors, and iPads.

There is a strong focus on encouraging on the job training and all employees are required to have a minimum number of hours each year. The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm. The work itself is stimulating, but can get repetitive at times. You will definitely learn a lot about how many different companies operate and really can't beat the training and experience that you are getting. You get to deal face to face with corporate controllers, CFOs, and Vice-Presidents.

Senior management makes a very good effort in trying to make the company a better place to work. They are always working towards improvement of processes and actively solicit feedback from employees on these matters. They really seem to care about how the employees perceive the firm and ways to improve the overall experience.

ConsDespite being the 5th largest CPA firm, it is not as well known as many other smaller firms. The firm is essentially a network firm in that they have achieved their growth through acquisition of smaller firms. The result is that the firm is a giant patchwork of different firms that function under the McGladrey umbrella so each office does business differently.

The hours are long, but they could be made more bearable with some common sense, like a planned dinner break. It is unreasonable to eat lunch at noon and then work till 10pm and then go grab dinner. On one particular job, we ended up going out so late that we barely found a place to eat that wasn't closed for the night.

The 'ivory tower' effect is very noticeable at this firm. As an employee here, you don't feel very appreciated. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times that a manager told anyone 'good job' or 'thank you for your hard work'. 'Please' and 'thank you' are not part of the corporate culture here. Managers receive their own hotel rooms while associates are required to share a room. Associates fetch food and coffee for the managers and team. They promised us an 'end of busy season party' that never happened, even though every other office and CPA firm does this. Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm.

The management at McGladrey is the single most lacking thing at the company and some of the worst I have seen at any company I've worked for. This includes horribly unprofessional behavior such as not following established rules, excessive profanity, bad mouthing of other employees and offices, and open discussion of human resources issues with other employees, just to name a few. While I have seen this from all the McGladrey offices on some level, it is especially bad in Atlanta. Between a plethora of last minute scheduling changes and poor budgeting and planning, it was nearly impossible to plan your life. When there is work to be done and deadlines to be met, one of the hallmarks of a good manager is to pitch in and help out the team, not blame them for mistakes. At McGladrey, anything that goes wrong is automatically the associates' fault. It is no surprise that because of this the turnover is nearly 100% in the Atlanta office within a 2 year timeframe.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company makes the assumption that a great associate will equal a great manager. In reality, the skills required to be a good manager are very different than the skills required to be an auditor or tax professional. Therefore, the Company needs to invest significant time and training for employees that are promoted to management positions. Even with this training, many people just don't have the right skill set to manage people and should not be in these types of positions. Teach the managers to lead by example and earn the respect of their subordinates. When the work piles up, they should pitch in and work, not retreat to their offices with their doors closed. Lastly, it is great that you ask for input from employees on how to make the company a better place to work, however, if you don't implement any changes, they why are you asking in the first place? Overall, I'd recommend McGladrey as a good place to start your career, but don't stay too long and stay away from the Atlanta office.

Learned a lot but was confused a lot

Tax Associate (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsHands on learning on all different kinds of tax returns partnerships, corporate, individual

Conspoor training, associates often left confused and frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more hands on training during the first year, especially for those straight out of school with no experience.

I have enjoyed working at McGladrey.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are many dedicated, smart, and hardworking people at the company, and it is growing rapidly.

ConsThe busy seasons can be very intense, and it is difficult to have much time to do enjoyable things outside of work during the busy seasons.

Great place to work with lots of opportunities to advance.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPositive work environment that allows for working from home when possible.

ConsLots of travel. The travel comes in spurts.

Excellent employer

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

ProsThe people are great, and the training is very thorough in order to provide new college graduates with the foundation to kick off their careers right.

ConsThere are not any cons that I have yet to see.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!

McGladrey LLP Videos

McGladrey LLP – Why Work for Us?

McGladrey LLP is the largest U.S. provider of assurance, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, with nearly 6,700 people in more than 75 cities nationwide. McGladrey is a licensed CPA firm. It is the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGladrey LLP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGladrey LLP CEO Joe Adams. All 312 reviews posted anonymously by McGladrey LLP employees.