McGladrey LLP

Updated October 19, 2014
3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time (in 50 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • or there was nothing to do; minimal work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Right team for the right growth.

Current Employee - Consulting Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, ability to create your own role and your own productivity. Work confidently with support from a large number of SME's and overall incredible pool of knowledge.

Cons

Proposal process has a lot of reviewers. At times the number of people reviewing a new project before the proposal reaches the customer or potential customer, is often counter productive.

Management will vary. I've been fortunate to deal with a great and passionate management team.

Understaffed; too many hours (plus many weekends); unhealthy lifestyle

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with younger demographics. Our miles can be expensed for the long drives to our clients. Free lunch when working on Saturdays at the office during busy season (but only during busy season).

Cons

No sick days. Long hours of sitting (weight gain, back problems, etc.). Unrealistic deadlines. Under-budgeted engagements. Understaffed teams. We are expected to eat our billable hours when posting our time sheets. Cell phones are not subsidized even though we use our personal mobile devices for client and team communication. The managers and partners are out of touch with associates and seniors. People think working 65 hours a week is a normal life. We are unable to get enough sleep as well as find the time to exercise while working so much. More notably, we don't have enough leisure outside of the work site for us to pursue other educative interests. I feel as if many public accounting professionals are ignorant about subjects external to their work.

Hire more people. Distribute the work accordingly. Grant us more PTO days. Pay us overtime. Realize that we have families. Know that we want to learn, read, innovate in other areas outside of work/accounting.

Fast-paced, mid size clients, great professional development, flexibility

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional/Personal growth, various industries, mid size clients

Cons

all cons with public accounting

higher bonuses

Learned a lot but was confused a lot

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands on learning on all different kinds of tax returns partnerships, corporate, individual

Cons

poor training, associates often left confused and frustrated.

Need more hands on training during the first year, especially for those straight out of school with no experience.

People are friendly

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a good size firm

Cons

The brand is not well known

Senior in Audit

Current Employee - Senior In Audit in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior In Audit in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

McGladrey has really amazing people. Work hard play hard type of people.

Cons

The pay is lower than industry standards. No appreciation for hard work. Unrealistic budgets.

Start making realistic budgets that your team can achieve without eating their time.

Good company but comp is low and promotions are limited.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements
    Variety of assignment
    Good culture

Cons

Comp has been an issue for the past several years. My first year we didn't even get rasies or bonuses.
    Promotions are limited
    High attrition and poor morale in the Irvine office on the tax side.

Recognize and reward employees better for their hard work and efforts
    Review/realign leadership in Irvine
    Pay more attention or morale and why it may be low

Great starting place

Current Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very standard systems throughout the company

Cons

Too many hours and they don't like overtime for interns

McGladrey Irvine, Tax Department not so good, advised to stay away! Bad management, poor training, high turnover...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP (less than an year)

Pros

Was not with the firm long enough to properly evaluate and determine if anything about this company would have been a pro and positive.

Cons

Cons, pretty much everything.....

Big indicating factor regarding this tax department having problems- high turnover rate. Majority of employees at manager level and below had only worked with the company for 1 1/2 yrs or less.

1. No new hire training/any training for new hire managers when they start. Somehow the firm expects them to succeed. Only training received consisted of first day firm orientation with the other new hires; here is your computer, here is how you change your passwords, here is how you enter your timesheet, etc. All new hires below the manager level then received 1 week of additional training on the firm tools and processes. Umm hello, the manager is still going to need to know how to utilize these tools, get into, review documents, submit items, etc. How do you expect them to succeed without this knowledge?
    2. New manager hired under false pretence. Hired to be Subchapter C specialist and then given no Subchapter C work. Told by Partner in Charge when not given Sub C work, "Well we all have to wear different hats". Pretty much bait and switch.......
    3. Management fumbled around for weeks trying to determine what clients to assign new manager.
    4. Partner in Charge assigns new hire manager inappropriate navigator/buddy. Navigator/buddy knows nothing about firms BCP/Dott Process the new hire manager needs to utilize for the scheduling of their client assignments. Nav/buddy states they do not utilize those processes/tools in the PCS practice. Nav/buddy quits the firm a few weeks later. New manager assigned a new nav/buddy who is to new to the firm to properly assist with these tools. Partner in Charge not competent enough to realize and assign the most logical person as the navigator/buddy who is the firms experienced home grown manager who had been with the firm 5+ yrs. Once again the firm does not set up the new manager to succeed.
    5. New manager who received no firm training assigned predominantly to firms new/messy clients that require a ton of setup (utilizing the firms systems & process that they received no training on) and where there will be significant write offs due to underbidding/budgeting of new firm engagements. New manager not setup to look like a star or even adequate in this department.
    6. New manager assigned to work for incompetent partner who flat out told new manager, "Don't look for a mentor here, you won't find one in this firm". Some of the first words ever said by this incompetent partner to the new manager were, "We are going to eat it in the shorts on this engagement". How does one look like a super star or even an adequate star on a new firm engagement when you’re just told by the Partner the engagement was severely underbid and we are going to eat it in the shorts? Incompetent Partner then proceeds to throw new manager under the bus on that engagement every chance they got to protect their hide and make the new manager look bad. Incompetent Partner told new manager on more then one occasions that they were not the expert in various areas of tax law and taxation, where new manager had many years of experience and expertise and new more then the supposed experts in the local office regarding those matters. The list of Cons could go on and on....

Learn how to train and mentor those you hire at all levels. Don't bring people into the firm under false pretences because you are scrambling to hire someone at the last hour before busy season when you have no clue as the type of industry, or level of person you really need to hire. Also if you only plan on bringing the person in for busy season and then letting them go afterwards, why not be up front in your hiring practices and let them know that is all it is going to be. They may have had other job offers on the table to have chosen from. Unfortunately due to your false pretences they chose poorly and chose your firm.

Long hours but positive

Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn
    Easy interaction with Partners
    Multi-industry experience

Cons

No Fortune 500 companies experience

Focus on talent and pay them more to keep them.