McGladrey LLP

Updated Feb 17, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

too much change and not enough strong leaders

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood office location
free coffee and tea
vacation policy is good
people try to honor work and life balance
the ipad is pretty cool

Conscheap with money - bonuses and raises, especially junior people
systems are old and need upgrading
leaders are afraid to speak up
too much dead wood hangin around

Advice to Senior Managementstick to a plan and go for it

Incredible bosses. Friendly Environment. Great client interaction.

Consulting Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

ProsOpportunity to be part of a growing company, especially in Consulting. I have been fortunate to have great personal and professional experiences within my group and even with my client(s). I am never scared to approach my boss for anything.

ConsMcGladrey's name is not yet as well recognized as that of the big four accounting firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the benefits coming - small expenses (relative, when compared to salary increases) like giving everyone iPads are very meaningful to employees (it's the little things!).

OK if you are on the Accounting side, but less so if in Consulting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McGladrey LLP

ProsI worked with a good team and the benefits were decent. Work - Life balance was, at least in Consulting, doable.

ConsThere were a lot of internal politics and posturing. No clear or qualified leadership. No recognition for doing what really mattered - only that which drove artificial goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more, engage them, and realize that they are your biggest asset. Then figure who the best leaders are and let them lead.

Ok

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

ProsMcGladrey is like a normal CPA firm. Different variety of basic and complex work to gain lots of experience. CPA Reimbursement.

ConsDefinitely no work like balance. Work is not evenly distributed. Some people get more work than other. Compensation still not up to level with competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make an effective way to "really" take care of their people and award them in the right way for all the hard work.

Great place to grow

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at McGladrey LLP

ProsWorking in mid sized companies

Conslisten to what ppl wants

Advice to Senior Managementto make sure they understand and listen to people needs and wants. it is important for employees to be happy

It has its Ups and Downs

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Prosyou can meet a lot of good people; it's a friendly environment overall. The benefits are not too bad as compared to other companies. Also, depending on which line of business you work for--you may have the option of working from home.

ConsGenerally, hard and smart workers are not rewarded accordingly and at times do not get recognized at all. The bonuses are extremely cheap; and the raises don't count for much either...you're basically adding a couple of dollars to your paycheck...literally.

There is so much work to get done and you are often grinding from the time your day starts until you go home-- which you may not be leaving at a decent time. When you get home, you will find yourself responding to emails because people contact you afterwork hours with requests, projects they'd like you to work, questions they want answers to, etc... There are not enough workers yet A LOT of work to be done. McGladrey has ongoing layoffs which means that the workload with triple up for you since you're already doing double duty. And they've made no plans for replacements -- that's why it's done through layoffs and not straight firing.

Employee morale is low, the Leaders want you to work harder so they can make more money-- & don't hold your breath for your raise or bonus. Don't get me wrong, you WILL get it however, you will be shocked by the amount. The smaller regional CPA firms pay better-- Big 4 without a doubt pays better. The upside to staying there is that you will meet a lot of nice people (meaning staff) who are in the same boat as you and with similar observations/complaints.

The firm is constantly restructuring--you never know which direction the firm is heading. Employee turnover is extremely high (10-20 resignations per week!!!!) because people are so unhappy. A lot of good people have left the firm not even for career transition but have mainly gone to competitors and private industry doing the same line of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that you appreciate them by compensating fairly. Yes money does matter--after all, isn't upper management getting paid well??? I'm sure you would share the same sentiments if you were not getting the pay you deserve. Also, management needs to staff appropriately and assume client work accordingly. You can't get laying off people and acquiring more work and expect the remaining staff to be productive and/or produce quality work while being overloaded. Management needs to be more organized as well--there are too many restructures going on--every year (sometimes 2x a year). Make up your minds regarding which direction the company is going and be sure that it's profitable for your business, your reputation in the market and your employees. That would put an end to the ongoing turnover.

More good managers are needed.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

ProsFlexible workplace. Some directors/managers are knowledgeable and helpful..

ConsTraining is poor and you learn on your own mostly. Scheduling of workload is messy and is not based on your level and not really aimed to develop you. Getting the products out ASAP is the first priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementMgmt needs to motivate staff, fewer changes, fewer layoffs, assess people more fairly based on a job well done.

Not a very nice place to work!

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at McGladrey LLP

ProsThe only pro I've encountered was the flexibility to work remotely if you are unable to make it to the office/client.

ConsWhere do I begin... I will start with communication, which is practically non-existent at the firm even though it is emphasized greatly - employees find out about changes at the last minute (if at all). Leading by the example, the group leaders as well as engagement team management is also very bad, as essential information regarding staffing is dissimilated poorly (such as employees leaving, staff moved to other engagements/staff availability, client communication to managers and/or directors is not forwarded to staff timely, etc). There does not seem to be clear structure of what needs to be done, affecting performance.
There is also no clear understanding as to what one is expected to do or what was done badly, until it’s time for the year end evaluations. Again, there is no communication between managers and staff. It felt as if this is done on purpose, just to cover all basis in case decision makers decide to reward based on favoritism, rather than performance (favoritism is another issue, but hey that seems to be the case in many firms/companies). Employees are not rewarded for a job well done or going above and beyond; errors are magnified and staff is penalized for errors often caused by miscommunication.
Firm seems to be very big on hiring staff for the busy season and then lay off in April-may. Training is mostly on the job, and it involves management NOT devoting sufficient time to teach - basically one is left alone with problems and there don’t seem to be anyone who can guide in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication & Employee recognition/retention

Good opportunity is you are agreesive enough

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

ProsThe company promotes hard working and ambition

ConsThe competition inside the company for promotion is huge

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better evaluation system

Directors/Partners are back-stabbers.

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

ProsCertain partners are micro-mangers which adds increasing time to budget and reduces profitability for which the managers are held accountable.

ConsDirectors/Partners are back-stabbers. They hold frequent lunch meetings to talk disparigingly about subordintes. Fees charged client and related budgets are unacheivable unless you 'eat' time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by examples.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!

McGladrey LLP Videos

McGladrey LLP – Why Work for Us?

McGladrey LLP is the largest U.S. provider of assurance, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, with nearly 6,700 people in more than 75 cities nationwide. McGladrey is a licensed CPA firm. It is the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGladrey LLP reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGladrey LLP CEO Joe Adams. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by McGladrey LLP employees.