McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 19, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm(in 44 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year(in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season(in 32 reviews)

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good opportunity is you are agreesive enough

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company promotes hard working and ambition

ConsThe competition inside the company for promotion is huge

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better evaluation system

Not a very nice place to work!

Senior Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe only pro I've encountered was the flexibility to work remotely if you are unable to make it to the office/client.

ConsWhere do I begin... I will start with communication, which is practically non-existent at the firm even though it is emphasized greatly - employees find out about changes at the last minute (if at all). Leading by the example, the group leaders as well as engagement team management is also very bad, as essential information regarding staffing is dissimilated poorly (such as employees leaving, staff moved to other engagements/staff availability, client communication to managers and/or directors is not forwarded to staff timely, etc). There does not seem to be clear structure of what needs to be done, affecting performance.
    There is also no clear understanding as to what one is expected to do or what was done badly, until it’s time for the year end evaluations. Again, there is no communication between managers and staff. It felt as if this is done on purpose, just to cover all basis in case decision makers decide to reward based on favoritism, rather than performance (favoritism is another issue, but hey that seems to be the case in many firms/companies). Employees are not rewarded for a job well done or going above and beyond; errors are magnified and staff is penalized for errors often caused by miscommunication.
    Firm seems to be very big on hiring staff for the busy season and then lay off in April-may. Training is mostly on the job, and it involves management NOT devoting sufficient time to teach - basically one is left alone with problems and there don’t seem to be anyone who can guide in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication & Employee recognition/retention

Directors/Partners are back-stabbers.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCertain partners are micro-mangers which adds increasing time to budget and reduces profitability for which the managers are held accountable.

ConsDirectors/Partners are back-stabbers. They hold frequent lunch meetings to talk disparigingly about subordintes. Fees charged client and related budgets are unacheivable unless you 'eat' time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by examples.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place

Audit Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis place knows how to treat its employees and what is needed to further enchance the company's growth. Company knows how to deal with its clients.

ConsThe hours can be a little too much during busy season but compared to the Big 4, its not as bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management does a wonderful job and they dont hog all the praise for themselves. If you do a good job, they will commend you.

RSM McGladrey is an up and coming firm; overall, it compensates well compared to the big four and the hours are better.

Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsRSM McGladrey is a good place to jump start your career, as it provides you with good compensation as well as experience. Since RSM McGladrey is focused on the mid markets, you will get a chance to closely experience a lot of different and diverse type of clients, and will get to work on many audit engagements through out the year, rather than being stuck on one or two clients. Most of the people are very friendly and supportive, everyone is there to help you out. If you have a dynamic personality, you can quickly advance through the ranks here.

ConsSome of the downsides of working at RSM McGladrey are that they are not as prestigious as the big 4. Although the salary is fairly competitive, the bonuses/benefits are not as great (i.e signing bonus, passing the CPA bonus, per diems, etc). The big four have a smoother way of running things and are overall more sophisticated. Working at McGladrey, you definitely can tell that you are working at a mid-size firm, which is totally fine if that is the type of environment you want to be in. The biggest downside of working at McGladrey is probably the prestige factor.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It's been a great experience thus far.

Supervisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is opportunity for growth within various industries.

ConsThe firm is becoming like a big 3; a little bit impersonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough the economic climate is taking its toll in every industry, all ways to cut costs must be examined before deciding on eliminating positions.

RSM messed up a good business operation in NY

Tax Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsJust to have a job in this economy.

ConsThey treat employees poorly. Everyone is leaving - from the most senior people to junior staff. Employee morale is very low. this includes both the Tax and the Audit divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to respect and value your employees so that they want to work in this environment.

Good place to start or end your career

Audit Senior (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood people who are family-oriented and believe in work/life balace [other than busy season, which is justified]. Serves middle-market clients, which can be good or bad. I enjoyed the learning curve when I started my employment with M&P, however, now that I've been here 4 years, the client-base, or lack-thereof, is a bit boring. I would like to work on bigger clients, perhaps SEC, however, M&P does not serve this market... which I can't blame them for. I would consider moving here as a Partner as I would most likely have a family by then and would enjoy the work/life balance M&P has to offer.

ConsNot rewarded for exceeding above peers via pay and title. I've received 'exceeding' marks every year, however, I don't feel that I've been promoted and compensated accordingly. Also, M&P seems to be in a growing phase, so they might not have the cash to pay more quality work. Furthermore, I think the talent here is being diluted. The rounds of employees we get each year seem to be deteriorating. I truly believe they want quantity and not quality, which they feel will come as they grow. I'm not saying this approach won't work, but to work with some less talented people is frustrating to say the least, especially at my level.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould reward people who are driven and want to succeed. Bring in business that will make money instead of increasing the 'top line.' I believe in growing through the 'black ink' approach where we only take on clients that show net income.

so so

Tax Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prospeople around me are great

Consnot well known, not prestigious, still operating like small firm

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up with the market

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!