McGladrey LLP Reviews

427 reviews filtered by
3.6
McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time (in 50 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • or there was nothing to do; minimal work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm (in 19 reviews)

Assurance

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Some good clients and good experiences.

Cons

No work life balance. Everyone in assurance who has gone part time has been terminated within 12 months of their part time arrangement starting. They brag about their work life balance all the time but will expect you to work 70+ hours a week in busy season and 60+ hours in the off season. If you don't book your vacation on the schedule a year in advance good luck getting time off. Co-Workers are openly rude in order to pressure you to work more than 70+ hours and often tell people they are "Stupid". Managers/Partners have no qualms about telling people they are getting promoted next round then letting them go the next time promotions are announced. They have no sympathy for illness or family situations. When the very few people that have worked here have gotten ill or had a seriously ill family member they are terminated as soon as possible upon their return to work. Don't get sick and don't take anytime off and you'll be fine. Those who are successful at moving up the ranks have no families or boyfriends/girlfriends.

2. Poor management

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay; community service opportunities and external social activities

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Long hours with no flexibility. Management didn't focus on development and was not professional at times.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage effectively, be approachable, not confrontational and micromanaging. Focus on utilizing team's strengths and developing their weaknesses.

3. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Former Employee - Senior Associate Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Full ownership of work, decent work life balance

Cons

Was not trained at ALL, was treated with racial prejudice and had a 2.5 hour commute each way! All this was on top of a bait and switch in the offer letter. Also did not get fully reimbursed for my expenses (and reimbursement process is typically longer than CC billing cycle, you will incur the float)

Organizational mess

Former Employee - Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work at home when not visiting clients

Cons

No organization or procedures in place. High turnover, and the clients know it, so reinventing analysis every year. Upper management either nasty in the wrong role.

Advice to Management

I think many of the problems are particular to the New York Office. Midwest and Boston seem to know what time it is.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is in a nice building and great location

Cons

The culture is absolutely terrible. It is a dog-eat-dog environment. Lot's of backstabbing and gossip behind people's backs. You cannot trust anyone or believe anything people say. They overwork and deplorably underpay you.

Advice to Management

My advice is too valuable to freely give to this company.

7. Not a good experience

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Huge firm, has many resources

Cons

My internship consisted of a frustrating struggle to find things to do.

Understaffed; too many hours (plus many weekends); unhealthy lifestyle

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with younger demographics. Our miles can be expensed for the long drives to our clients. Free lunch when working on Saturdays at the office during busy season (but only during busy season).

Cons

No sick days. Long hours of sitting (weight gain, back problems, etc.). Unrealistic deadlines. Under-budgeted engagements. Understaffed teams. We are expected to eat our billable hours when posting our time sheets. Cell phones are not subsidized even though we use our personal mobile devices for client and team communication. The managers and partners are out of touch with associates and seniors. People think working 65 hours a week is a normal life. We are unable to get enough sleep as well as find the time to exercise while working so much. More notably, we don't have enough leisure outside of the work site for us to pursue other educative interests. I feel as if many public accounting professionals are ignorant about subjects external to their work.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Distribute the work accordingly. Grant us more PTO days. Pay us overtime. Realize that we have families. Know that we want to learn, read, innovate in other areas outside of work/accounting.

9. Co-workers are great but management is not

Current Employee - Billing Specialist
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Pay is ok.

Cons

Claims to have flexibility but when asked for time to spend with family, manager will not give time off

Admins are treated horribly.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building...depending on the day. Benefits are pretty good for the area I live in. Plenty of work to do.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you want to be an admin. Their technology consulting team is a joke. Imagine being in a frat house. Nothing but discussions of beer, women, and nonstop gas passing with a manager whose favorite joke is his number is the number for HR. No management accountability what-so-ever. I've worked in lower paying positions that cared more about their employees. Unrealistic mind reading expectations with no communication as to how this magic trick is supposed to be accomplished. Promotion system is basically worthless. I work in an office where a part time person that rarely comes to work was promoted to office lead. When promotion expectations are set they need to be approved of by the one admin that the whole company seems to be afraid of and if she doesnt like you, well, you're done for. This woman is not even in a leadership position. Career Advisor and Principal argue over what my job duties should be and will not allow overtime but want everything done yesterday. Honestly this comes from everyone. I thought i had applied for a position to assist one person, as it turns out I'm the admin for everyone who calls the office...project managers, bds, consultants from other offices, etc. Admins are the lowest rung on the totem pole and are treated terribly. This was the worst career decision I have made in my life.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. The environment here is terrible.

11. Empty promises and poor advancement opportunities

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large firm with good resources.

Cons

Regardless of how many hours you work, how many new clients you bring in, and how much you develop people your advancement in the firm is dependent on a few people. When it comes time from promotion be ready to explain to 10 people who you have never worked with and have never met you why you should be promoted. It is an "eat what you kill" environment where everyone is out for themselves and they don't take prisoners. As much as they will socialize with you, no one is looking out for you, and they could care less about your advancement. Follow the leader or step our of the way. Awful environment....