McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Flexibility, career advancement opportunities, employer provides CPE trainings

Cons

Difficult to maintain work-life balance at times.

None.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

"Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time. The hours here are better than most places. I averaged about 60 billable hours/week during busy season. I don't have a complaint about my compensation and the people I work with are great

Cons

Name recognition. The name isn't as well know as some of McG's competitors. I work in one of the largest offices and at times I feel like just an employee number to management.

Co-workers are great but management is not

Current Employee - Billing Specialist
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co-workers are great. Pay is ok.

Cons

Claims to have flexibility but when asked for time to spend with family, manager will not give time off

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admins are treated horribly.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice building...depending on the day. Benefits are pretty good for the area I live in. Plenty of work to do.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you want to be an admin. Their technology consulting team is a joke. Imagine being in a frat house. Nothing but discussions of beer, women, and nonstop gas passing with a manager whose favorite joke is his number is the number for HR. No management accountability what-so-ever. I've worked in lower paying positions that cared more about their employees. Unrealistic mind reading expectations with no communication as to how this magic trick is supposed to be accomplished. Promotion system is basically worthless. I work in an office where a part time person that rarely comes to work was promoted to office lead. When promotion expectations are set they need to be approved of by the one admin that the whole company seems to be afraid of and if she doesnt like you, well, you're done for. This woman is not even in a leadership position. Career Advisor and Principal argue over what my job duties should be and will not allow overtime but want everything done yesterday. Honestly this comes from everyone. I thought i had applied for a position to assist one person, as it turns out I'm the admin for everyone who calls the office...project managers, bds, consultants from other offices, etc. Admins are the lowest rung on the totem pole and are treated terribly. This was the worst career decision I have made in my life.

Get a clue. The environment here is terrible.

Long-time Senior Associate

Current Employee - Senior Associate (Non CPA)  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Associate (Non CPA) in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Real directors and career advisors who care if you take the time to talk with them. I've built my career here and feel that I am fortunate to work with some pretty great people. There were a few rocky years during the transition from the partner company, but now that the branding is settled, everything else seems to be falling into place, as well. Their is HUGE growth in the Ohio market, especially in technology and health care consulting.

Cons

I sometimes feel as though the Chicago-office professionals are promoted before other offices, given that it is the headquarters. All employees should be promoted based upon the annual review process and performance... not location. I see several folks around me who are discouraged year-after-year because of broken promises made about potential career advancement and promotions that didn't happen. HR and advisors need to be honest or risk losing good people.

Continue to develop the flexibility and work-life balance that you have. It attracts new talent but it's also a factor in keeping good employees!

McGladrey LLP is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to gain lots of experience. Clear promotion track. Great place to start a career.

Cons

Long hours during busy season. Some traveling.

Empty promises and poor advancement opportunities

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large firm with good resources.

Cons

Regardless of how many hours you work, how many new clients you bring in, and how much you develop people your advancement in the firm is dependent on a few people. When it comes time from promotion be ready to explain to 10 people who you have never worked with and have never met you why you should be promoted. It is an "eat what you kill" environment where everyone is out for themselves and they don't take prisoners. As much as they will socialize with you, no one is looking out for you, and they could care less about your advancement. Follow the leader or step our of the way. Awful environment....

Project Manager

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Good place to work for mid-west Accountants and CPAs

Cons

If you're not an accountant or CPA don't expect senior management to understand your role.

Good place depending on position

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

International company with many easy to access offices

Cons

status and promotions, difficult to climb

they could be so much better

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on level, if you have proven you're good there is a certain amount of autonomy. The company has good learning tools and the technical aspects of national announcements are quite good and enable one to have a working knowledge of new pronouncements easily. From a technical standpoint they try to get things right.

Cons

Depending on the partner and your level there may be a certain amount of work done without a clear reason or end goal. There is constant pressure to stay within unrealistic budgets driven by low fees demanded by clients to stay with McGladrey. There is pressure to be a rainmaker. Once management has decided you will not go further they lose touch because you're only machinery & eqpt. to them

Get new management - especially in NY

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!