McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Went from GREAT to Good to Get me outta here

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

With the right management, you can rise quickly if you are willing to work 24/7. Flexibility (work life balance) actually means you get to take a laptop and work from home, too.

Cons

If you expect to be able to retire from here, be careful. You will be edged out and ignored as you age and burn out.

Consider keeping promises and finding a place for workers who want to retire from your company rather than burn out from not being able to keep up with the ever increasing demands.

Manager

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Flexibility, career advancement opportunities, employer provides CPE trainings

Cons

Difficult to maintain work-life balance at times.

None.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

"Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time. The hours here are better than most places. I averaged about 60 billable hours/week during busy season. I don't have a complaint about my compensation and the people I work with are great

Cons

Name recognition. The name isn't as well know as some of McG's competitors. I work in one of the largest offices and at times I feel like just an employee number to management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

McGladrey LLP is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to gain lots of experience. Clear promotion track. Great place to start a career.

Cons

Long hours during busy season. Some traveling.

Long-time Senior Associate

Current Employee - Senior Associate (Non CPA)  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Associate (Non CPA) in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Real directors and career advisors who care if you take the time to talk with them. I've built my career here and feel that I am fortunate to work with some pretty great people. There were a few rocky years during the transition from the partner company, but now that the branding is settled, everything else seems to be falling into place, as well. Their is HUGE growth in the Ohio market, especially in technology and health care consulting.

Cons

I sometimes feel as though the Chicago-office professionals are promoted before other offices, given that it is the headquarters. All employees should be promoted based upon the annual review process and performance... not location. I see several folks around me who are discouraged year-after-year because of broken promises made about potential career advancement and promotions that didn't happen. HR and advisors need to be honest or risk losing good people.

Continue to develop the flexibility and work-life balance that you have. It attracts new talent but it's also a factor in keeping good employees!

Best Decision

Current Employee - Consulting  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Consulting in Miami, FL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Recruiting process is amazing- willing to answer any and all questions, constantly reaching out to connect in different ways
    - Orientation- top notch- you do not feel like you are sitting there getting lectured, you learn through interactions with other professionals
    - They truly care about their employees. They do everything to make sure you are happy. There are many structures set up for feedback on performance -
    - Willing to work with your time and if you need time off
    - Open communication among all levels, no matter your position in the company- easy to discuss any issues you are having
    - Definitely a more laid back company, but don't let that fool you- people here WORK and WORK HARD, but that just means they PLAY JUST AS HARD- If you put in the time and dedication you will be rewarded

Cons

- You will travel, if you are needed somewhere else, but will only give you more exposure to different teams

Empty promises and poor advancement opportunities

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large firm with good resources.

Cons

Regardless of how many hours you work, how many new clients you bring in, and how much you develop people your advancement in the firm is dependent on a few people. When it comes time from promotion be ready to explain to 10 people who you have never worked with and have never met you why you should be promoted. It is an "eat what you kill" environment where everyone is out for themselves and they don't take prisoners. As much as they will socialize with you, no one is looking out for you, and they could care less about your advancement. Follow the leader or step our of the way. Awful environment....

Ample opportunities to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open minded environment and management.

Cons

Travel requirements that impact work life balance.

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible summer hours allow for a healthy work life balance during the off season as well as the lull before February.

Cons

McGladrey will run you to the ground and not compensate you for any of your hardwork, dedication or excellence. They treat their managers the worst.

they could be so much better

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on level, if you have proven you're good there is a certain amount of autonomy. The company has good learning tools and the technical aspects of national announcements are quite good and enable one to have a working knowledge of new pronouncements easily. From a technical standpoint they try to get things right.

Cons

Depending on the partner and your level there may be a certain amount of work done without a clear reason or end goal. There is constant pressure to stay within unrealistic budgets driven by low fees demanded by clients to stay with McGladrey. There is pressure to be a rainmaker. Once management has decided you will not go further they lose touch because you're only machinery & eqpt. to them

Get new management - especially in NY

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!