McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Misleading company. Rarely hire on full-timers.

I worked at McGladrey LLP as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people were decent to work with.

Cons

There is a 5 month probation period, after which you are told you will be hired on (finally receive benefits, etc.). NOT TRUE. Each department seems to decide just when they will actually hire you as a full-time employee. Some departments, actually most departments, wait well into a year, possibly more. I have talked to people from all over the firm. Not one single person has ever told me they were hired on, as they were told they would be, after passing the 5 month probationary period.
    A lot of favoritism is played. It's great when you're in, horrible when you're out.

Open your eyes and your ears. There are some great people there that you stream right past every day and don't even acknowledge. I watched one bright, talented person after the next leave and no one bothering to ask why.

I enjoy my time at McGladrey in the IT side of things.

Current Employee - IT Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company, and there are plenty fo projects to be a part of to expand your knowledge of the IT field.

Cons

Senior management has no idea what it takes to complete the day to day tasks. They strictly just look at metrics when evaluating you and at times it feels like we are underappreciated.

Communicate more often with the teams, just to at least show you know what we are all involved in to keep the lights on everyday.

Good Company, Growing very fast in Technology Consulting

Current Employee - Manager, Technology Consulting  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager, Technology Consulting in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall good company to work for. Good pay, benefits, etc.

Cons

Very "accountant" culture struggling with success of Technology Consulting and the special needs of that group.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it's public accounting...

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great team of people

Cons

hard tax seasons (7 days a week from february to april), compensation sucks

Great Experiance

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

The company is laid back and enjoyable to work for.

Cons

Busy season can be long.

A very educational and fulfilling work environment.

Former Employee - Tax Intern  in  Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Duluth, MN

I worked at McGladrey LLP as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work culture and environment, very structured, and extraordinary focus on the middle market. Staff in the mid-west are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Work environment can get very political, spend too much time hiring people based on their personality instead of raw skills.

What I imagine an administrative career was like for women in the 1950s

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice building and decent cafeteria.

Cons

People, culture and management structure. They treat their administrative staff like 2nd class citizens and empower the so called administrative managers to rule with little education and a ton of ignorance. The managing partners are only interested in themselves and the associates run around acting like under age privileged school children. The HR department is laughable. This is merely the Baltimore office. Who knows what madness lurks in other cities. Two thumbs down. Stay far away from this place!

Learn how to treat ALL of your employees with respect.

Business Developer role is more sizzle than steak

Former Employee - Business Development Director  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

The firm has an excellent go-to-market strategy and engagement model with deep expertise in industry segments and practice areas relevant to many industries. The sales and marketing teams work well together bringing the story to the marketplace along with the partners, directors and managers who perform the professional services.

Cons

Very high turnover in Boston & Northeast business developer team because (a) they hire by partner/practice leader which limits the portfolio you sell and therefore the money you can make and (b) you don't make much money in sales here. Ask a lot of questions about the mechanics of compensation and the span of your sales territory by geo, by practice areas, by industry, etc. Chances are good that a technology partner will only want you selling his/her stuff and not caring if that deal flow helps you hit your number. The ideal role is in the PEG side of the business where you sell the entire firm's portfolio to PEG and portfolio companies with a lot going on. Ask how many BD with 3 years or less tenure have made their number, ask a lot of questions in every interview.

Put all BD under home office overhead (or at least the Office Managing Partner) and away from partner practice leaders' P&L. The BD is going to market for new clients which means you have to hear what they are interested in buying and then bring in the relevant practice resources. Going to market by specific technology services reduces the firm to a mere reseller and the firm's fees are way too high to compete and win in that model. BD can focus on market share by industry rather than feeding the fiefdom of a partner.

not a long term career solution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McGladrey LLP for more than 10 years

Pros

variety of work and clients, autonomy, pay is decent

Cons

not clear guidelines for advancement, management players & strategy continually changing, long hours year round

people are your assets, clients appreciate continuity

Not a bad place if you're stupid or lazy.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary. But they will screw you out of everything else annual bonuses, PTO payouts, referral bonuses, promotions, etc. It will also be hard to get busy if you do anything other than simple compliance. They should have stuck with H&R Block.

Cons

From top to bottom, the place is full of idiots. It's the least well run place I've ever encountered outside of the government. The have no strategy. They can't execute. The work is simple. Oh, clients hate them. At least 30% of clients I worked for fired us. Local industry connections all said we did bad work and wouldn't hire us again.

Meet you obligations. Figure out how to do more than compliance. Don't promote awful people just because they have a Big 4 background. Act like a national firm.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!