McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place if you're stupid or lazy.

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWhile it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary. But they will screw you out of everything else annual bonuses, PTO payouts, referral bonuses, promotions, etc. It will also be hard to get busy if you do anything other than simple compliance. They should have stuck with H&R Block.

ConsFrom top to bottom, the place is full of idiots. It's the least well run place I've ever encountered outside of the government. The have no strategy. They can't execute. The work is simple. Oh, clients hate them. At least 30% of clients I worked for fired us. Local industry connections all said we did bad work and wouldn't hire us again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet you obligations. Figure out how to do more than compliance. Don't promote awful people just because they have a Big 4 background. Act like a national firm.

The McGladrey Experience

Consulting Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMcGladrey provides the breadth of experience that a young accountant should want, but still hasa lot of the influence that comes with a big four firm. They provide a great work-life balance, allowing 18 PTO days when you start, and providing flexible week schedules.

ConsSome projects you work on might end up being a bit dull, but usually you end up working on something else soon.

Risk Advisory Serv. Associate at McGladrey

Risk Advisory Services Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagement is really good to work with. Open door policy and event outings really make for good working relationships with others in the department, and director's know and communicate with even the newest associates.

ConsPublic accounting hours are not for everyone. No matter your team, you are going to work long, hard hours. Due to lack of training, poor team dynamic, and unrealistic goals, team's are often frustrated and individual's are not put in an opportunity to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to cross utilize your employees into other groups. That opportunity was presented to me upon hiring, but was not available once I was in the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work - lots of support

ProsGreat support of management - excellent career oportunities. Good culture. People that are willing to work hard are recognized for their work and accomplishments.

ConsIts public accounting - so like all firms there are long hours at certain times of the year. The good people get "rewarded" with more work. However, those rewards are recognized.

Right team for the right growth.

Consulting Senior Associate (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsFlexibility, ability to create your own role and your own productivity. Work confidently with support from a large number of SME's and overall incredible pool of knowledge.

ConsProposal process has a lot of reviewers. At times the number of people reviewing a new project before the proposal reaches the customer or potential customer, is often counter productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement will vary. I've been fortunate to deal with a great and passionate management team.

Great firm to work for

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, focus on women's initiatives

ConsLong hours, and at times too many internal processes and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to allow associates the access to have flexible work styles.

Fast-paced, mid size clients, great professional development, flexibility

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsProfessional/Personal growth, various industries, mid size clients

Consall cons with public accounting

Advice to Senior Managementhigher bonuses

Pretty good firm

ProsYou learn a lot more than you do at the big 4 and you get a chance to get exposed to a lot more things & aspect of the audit

ConsThere are many pieces & clients to juggle at once; workload can be overwhelming

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on busy season a bit

My experience at McGladrey has been positive.

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexibility, opportunity to have an impact.

ConsThe number of hours; but that's really more about the profession than the firm.

Mostly positive

Consulting Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery team focused office, even among different business lines

ConsWork/life balance is a struggle for most of the year

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's such an emphasis on work/life balance, but its impossible to achieve most times of the year based on the workload that's given - the result is a staff that feels management is dishonest.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!