McGrath's Fish House

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

ohn McGrath

Layton, UT: Mostly nice people, a lot of side work, terrible tippers on certain shifts.

Food Server (Former Employee)
Layton, UT

I worked at McGrath's Fish House part-time for less than a year

ProsCo-workers and on-site management are mostly pretty nice and willing to help you if you're a team player. Quality product. Flexible scheduling.

ConsAverage tips are at 10% in Layton. This for full dining service. Far below what you can make in SLC. A lot of side work, which wouldn't be a 'con' if we averaged a higher wage. Disorganized order entry system. Some drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggest tip percentage on receipt. It's a simple, inexpensive way to help those who help create customer satisfaction and drive repeat business (far less expensive than advertising), and who keep clean and stocked the entire front of house and half of the back of house.

Great company with a lot of flexibility

Food Server (Former Employee)
Lynnwood, WA

I worked at McGrath's Fish House part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to work for while going to school or raising a family. I am sure it depends quite a bit on the manager, but mine were always flexible with my child's school schedule.

ConsWorking with people who didn't care about their job, made the whole company look bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out those who really don't care about their fellow employees and are only there to make a quick buck and run causing everyone else to do more work.

It was a very rewarding, learning experience.

General Manager (Former Employee)
Sandy, UT

I worked at McGrath's Fish House full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt was a company when I started had a lot of benefits to grow and participate in a fast and growing company.

ConsThe company claimed bankruptcy which was a very hard time for Mcgraths Fish House and its
employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more faith in the managers that you hire to make decisions for the better of the company.
Be more professional.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the worst place to work, but definitely not the best.

Server (Current Employee)
Lakewood, CO

I have been working at McGrath's Fish House

ProsThe management is very flexible with scheduling. Most employees have never had any problem getting time off for any reason. The money is decent if you work the good shifts. Fellow coworkers tend to get along with one another, and the managers (associate and general) are relatively competent.

ConsIf you do not work the good shifts, the money you make is not worth the time it took to come in. It is completely hit and miss with how busy this restaurant is. Some shifts it is really slow, and you will make 8 dollars. Other shifts you get slammed and make 150. It is just really inconsistent.

This restaurant tends to attract older people (70 +) which means low check averages and 10-15% tips, especially for lunches. A lot of the guys who work in the kitchen have little to no experience, and are not properly trained, so a lot of food is sent back, which usually results in little to no tip.

The amount of work that the servers have to do is NOT worth the money made. At similar quality restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback, Hops, etc.) there are people (separate from servers) who run drinks, run food, make salads, make desserts, bus tables, etc. However, at McGrath's, it is the server's job to do all this, except on weekends, where there will be a busser and a food runner. A lot of the time, servers also have to make their own bar drinks. If it is slow, this is no problem. However, if you have 6 tables, having to do all this with no help from anyone else definitely leads to poor service and unhappy customers. The average server probably makes 40-60 dollars on a dinner shift and 20-40 on a lunch shift. Obviously, it is better money than you would make working, say, retail, but compared to many other restaurants, it is not good.

Also, everyone who works in this restaurant (servers, cooks, management) is very unprofessional. It is definitely a high school/college job, with only a few people there being career servers. This would not be a problem if McGrath's didn't try to portray itself as a higher end restaurant. Also, a lot of the servers/host staff are very lazy, and either never want to take tables, or put in half-effort. The servers that want to work/need the money/care about doing a good job are always picking up their slack.

The company is also always trying to cut corners with costs. All of the equipment there was bought second hand, so something is always broken, and it usually takes months to fix, if they even decide to fix it. This is just an annoyance that results in more work for the servers to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to fix broken equipment, act more professional, enforce professionalism standards with staff members, and either hire cooks with experience or train them properly. A lot of the cons posted have nothing to do with the associate/general manager(s), but I guess policies/orders from the president and vice president of the company. They honestly just don't seem to know what to do to make a business successful.

McGrath's, great place to eat and drink for a bargain, horrible place to work.

Food Server (Current Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I have been working at McGrath's Fish House

ProsThis place is terrible. It is my fault though. I didn't really look at the style of restaurant that it is. Its not a place where one can feel professional. It has the feel of a high school or early college type job. The senior management is great but the assistant management team is simply young and unprofessional. They have a chip on their shoulder and treat the team as if they are inferior.

ConsThe money is horrible. They are constantly running "food specials" which make your check average low and thus the tips are low. On top of that, the regular clientele are by and large on a budget and tend to tip low.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit with the "specials." You can't up sell to the people who come for them.

waiting tables is a thankless job, but a good way to make it through school!

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at McGrath's Fish House

ProsThe best reason to work in the food service industry is the money. That is basically the only thing to do it for. There is no room for advancement or personal growth. Its not this company specifically, its just the way the business is. You wait tables and collect your tips. If you do it well, you get good tips..if not, you move on. I usually averaged around 15-20 dollars an hour. Its a godd way to get through school.

ConsThe work is fast paced and very stressful. Some customers are repectful, courteous and polite. Some are not. Some go out of their way to take out their stresses on you. As a server you get very little respect form customers. Most assume you are not very intellegent and treat you as such. Again the money is the only reason to wait tables. I never really got any personal satisfaction from doing it. Again the money is good and the hours are great for getting through school.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managment is treated about the same as the serving staff. They work long hours and get very little respect or satisfaction from their jobs. Most would last about a year and move on. The food service industry is not something to make a career out of.

Worked for McGrath's Fish House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGrath's Fish House reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGrath's Fish House CEO ohn McGrath. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by McGrath's Fish House employees.