McGraw-Hill Education

Be The First To
Add Photos

McGraw-Hill Education President & CEO Lloyd G. "Buzz" Waterhouse

Lloyd G. "Buzz" Waterhouse

Pros:
  • "I've worked at McGraw-Hill for almost nine years because of their work/life balance"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Good benefits, great co-workers, convenient location"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Favoritism to Ohio office where people are paid less; Loads of Hippocracy; Upper management is self-congratulatory"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There's little room for growth and real professional development"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

McGraw- Hill is slow to make change and difficult culture for advancement as a woman

Editor (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people. Good work / family balance.

Conslacks promotion opportunities, for women in particular.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroaden your circles and perspective; it's not a boy's club.

Customer Service Team Lead

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
DeSoto, TX

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMcgraw Hill offers great benefits from vacation, 401k. The hours of operations were a plus, very few weekends. I would highly reccommend this company

ConsI cannot really think of anything bad about the company other than they now only have one office call center location.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your Employees, Keep the Remote Agents engaged

This ship is sinking.

Editor (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're a working mother, the lack of responsibilities should suit you well.

ConsManagement has a nebulous plan for a revolutionary product that does not exist yet and neither does the visionary staff needed to conceive it. Departments are at war for each other, competing for resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about your customers. It all stems from there.

Without a Modern Salesforce, They'll Never Make It

Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits. Work/Life balance is adequate. Coworkers were mostly good people who just want to contribute to something and make a decent living. If you are comfortable with "managing up" and are good at it, you can remain at this company for decades.

ConsSales wants to continue as if it is 1990 and cheap, digital educational resources do not exist. Senior management, while finally embracing the notion that products should be developed for the digital platforms first and print second, still can't figure out how to sell digital products. Marketing and product development execs are often promoted from the salesforce, so the lack of good ideas sort of compounds itself. Workers in the trenches are often given vague assignments with no clear direction from management, and seeking clarity is discouraged. MHE just continues to watch competitors and respond to them, rather than taking the lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to senior management would be to study the companies who are succeeding in the digital space. Acquire as many of them as you can and then leave them alone for at least a year until you realize what you have. Start cleaning out the ranks of sales and marketing people who just don't get it.

Less than exemplary

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for less than a year

ProsFairly compensated for publishing
Typically okay work-life balance

ConsNo opportunity for advancement or growth
No REAL professional development
No raises
Strange Work Enviornment
Poor leadership
Lack of Vision
Poor allocation of resources
Bad organizational structure

Once a great company, sinking fast

Specialist (Former Employee)
Burr Ridge, IL

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork / life balance, decent pay.

ConsConstant, directionless change. There is no time to perfect a plan of action before moving on to the next failed idea. Too driven to be "first" rather than deliver a stable, quality product. Forecasts for sales and usage less accurate than a TV weatherman, leading to repeated crashes due to server issues. Politics more valued than knowledge capital, forcing those who could improve service out the door, while rewarding "yes" men who lack any sense of the products offered or the service required to support them. HR (now outsourced mostly) turns a blind eye to multiple violations by management, rewarding them rather than addressing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding HR violators and sycophants, and actually listen to rank and file employees. End the culture of cronyism, and return to a meritocracy.

Change and then change again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- There are some very dedicated, smart and hard-working people. These are the ones that keep the company going.
- Flexible work environment, especially if you have an understanding manager.
- Good benefits.
- Some senior management changes are giving people more hope.

Cons- There has been a lot of chaos due to company reorganization, outsourcing, sale, and numerous management changes.
- Constant cost-cutting has caused many to work to exhaustion on a continual basis. Unfortunately this is the norm and not the exception.
- Management does not appreciate the contributions or institutional knowledge of their staff, even those who have been with the company for 15 or more years.
- Lack of clear communication about the constant changes leaves employees demoralized and in the dark. Good employees leave as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and treat them better. Communicate your goals and changes to them often and in a clear manner. Cut out the poisonous behavior and reward the good efforts of your staff.

Administrator

Administrative (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits. A lot of time off. Matching 401K.

ConsNo room to move up unless your an execs kid.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can never go wrong if you treat those you manage the way you'd like to be treated.

The Worst Company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a FEW enlightened people in Sales and Marketing that share these sentiments . There is an opportunity to work from home.

ConsThis company has one of the most hostile cultures I have ever worked in. There is so much cronyism, bias & prejudice within the ranks of this company that it is ridiculous. What is sad, is the people that have been subjected to this type of corporate culture for so long, they deem it as normal and acceptable. The "management" team in Customer Service use fear tactics that have been successful among their "supervisors" and in turn ANY voice that speaks up to address the issues in the work environment pertaining to payroll, processes, procedures, "leadership", go unheard. They are only concerned with squeezing more and more effort out of their employees with little to no regard for their well being or true success or personal and professional growth. Since the "supervisors" were not equipped with formal management training or at the minimum, Cowardly Lion courage, they are only figure heads and do what they are told to do like obedient slaves serving a system of oppression that doesn't even serve them, except they get to keep their job until the next "yes" man or woman shows up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen others figure out their worth and leave, you will be out of a job. Know that karma is real not imagined. Maybe in the next sale, the new owner will decide to hire all new staff or bring their own.

Be Warned

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than a year

ProsLearnSmart products are useful for helping students pass tests.

ConsManagement does not keep its promises to employees and fosters an acrimonious and backstabbing environment. Anyone with honor or integrity should take a pass. Especially veterans..

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and apologize for spending thousands of dollars on bottles of wine and dinners for yourself while you saddle poor students with thousands of dollars in education debt. Your selfish actions are contributing to decline in the United States.

Worked for McGraw-Hill Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGraw-Hill Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGraw-Hill Education CEO Lloyd G. "Buzz" Waterhouse. All 176 reviews posted anonymously by McGraw-Hill Education employees.