McGraw-Hill Education Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.9

McGraw-Hill Education President and CEO David Levin
David Levin

Pros
  • I've worked at McGraw-Hill for almost nine years because of their work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits and vision on the implementation of technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism to Ohio office where people are paid less; Loads of Hippocracy; Upper management is self-congratulatory (in 12 reviews)

• There's little room for growth and real professional development (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Goodbye Work-Life Balance. Hello Daily Grind!

Current Employee - Assessment Editor
    Current Employee - Assessment Editor

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the opportunity to work on my project remotely, which was wonderful. My pay was also decent (not great). Pleasant co-workers. Those were the two things that kept me going each morning, but rarely longer than that.

Cons

Be prepared to work far beyond your 37.5 hour work week. There is a company culture of guilt, where you will see all of your coworkers and supervisors working late, on weekends, and during their "vacation" days. You will be given emails with smiling cats and a thumbs up in return for your hard work. Innovation, creative thinking, and efficiency are not rewarded. Working long hours are (maybe with a $50 reward, if you're one of the lucky ones). I surveyed people on various projects within the company -- everyone put in 40-60 hours a week.

You are salaried and most likely on multiple projects working "half time." I was added on as "Project Status" and was cut just over halfway through the project, along with all other "Project Status" workers on my project. Take the name of your contract with a grain of salt, and keep in mind the very important clause that they may cut you at any time -- working well and hard will not protect you -- you are truly a human resource to them. Whether or not they keep you on will depend on other projects happening within the company, more than anything else. Keep this in mind when you pass up other jobs that may offer more stability. (And accepting this job in lieu of a job offer you may not have yet received counts as passing up another job!)

Also, you will receive little to no training. Save every email, because there is a good chance someone will ask you why something wasn't done correctly (it's also a culture of blaming) and the answer will likely be because you received no training, or that the person who was given the role of training you has had very little experience in the position (probably working "half time" on another project, as well) and gave you some mis-information.

Overall, an uninspiring place to work. As far as I can tell, McGraw-Hill has wonderful sounding upper management, but little structure in place to reward those for making changes.

Bottom Line: I would not recommend it, even though the salary looks nice from afar -- unless you need a stopgap job.

Reward innovation and creativity. Give employees a way to give feedback on their managers -- mine was new and not wonderful (delightful person...lots to learn as a manager). I had no way to inform anyone of this.

Mcgraw-Hill

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative Technology.
    Good vision of where they want to go.

Cons

Cumbersome Salesforce CRM System.
    Several job responsibilities that don't match your title.
    Forcing technology on customers.

I think it's a difficult industry to be in now with the shift from print to digital. I think there needs to be more sales support. You have to realize that you need more layers and support as you grow into a digital company.

In the beginning it was great towards the end not so much

Former Employee - Credit and Collections  in  Hightstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit and Collections in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People I worked with were wonderful

Cons

Most of Senior management had issues

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High turnover for entry level positions, little room for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible, perks like company phone, iPad, partnerships with museums and gyms for free or discounter prices.

Cons

Pay could be better. A lot of budget issues. Some of the mid level management need to come on board with new technology. Office gossip was pretty bad. Is actually very cutthroat! Expect long hours when work increases (pushing for a textbook to finish before a semester starts)

Increase pay! Communicate more with coordinators and management and between offices!

Life at McGraw-Hill Education

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hours are flexible and good. The location from home to work was good - not alot of travel time.

Cons

Health Insurance is not family friendly. Salaries are behind other companies and the people who do the WORK are not compensated properly. SOME Management does not listen to the employees - Management makes alot of mistakes because of it. To much of the good ol' boys club. Needs to go away. Expect you to be available 24/7/365. Not a family oriented company.

Get it figured out on how to treat the employees better, listen to the seasoned employees, work with middle management to teach the managers on how to manage better, hire people that are actually qualified for the job and not hire friends.

Bad work-life balance

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked with some great people here--none of whom are currently with the company. The benefits were okay.

Cons

The salaries are low compared to the number of extra hours you are expected to work. The company pays lip service to "work life balance" but that is a joke. You are made to feel bad if you take time off. Management makes drastic changes and you are forced to adapt. It's a very conservative company, and the bottom line is the only thing that matters. You can only advance by kissing up, not by being good at your job. Overall, working here was a soul-crushing experience.

You need to treat your employees like human beings, not robots, and give them a REAL work-life balance.

Stressful

Former Employee - Project Manager, Scrum Master  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager, Scrum Master in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule and altruistic product

Cons

dealing with immature, unprofessional and hostile employees on the Business side of the house.

Replace old guard employees whose behavior is so deeply ingrained that they have become completely unmanageable with no hope of true collaboration with the Digital Platform Group.

Mission Driven Organization hires engaging CEO

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

David Levin, new CEO is engaging. His use of social media to engage directly with employees is refreshing.

Cons

Office layout is still a bit old school

Accelerate the pace of change - headed in the right direction just need to get there faster

Great work/life balance

Former Employee - Senior Producer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life balance. They do a good job allowing you to work from home, etc

Cons

Very political. Be prepared for a lot of 'CYA' emails. The culture is very me centric.

Average experience during changing times....

Current Employee - Internal Audit
    Current Employee - Internal Audit

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, Overall Great People to work with (always a bad apple), Executives are working toward a direction that will bring the organization up to speed in the education industry.

Cons

Room for growth minimal, Salary is on the low-mid range depending on your level & position, lack of mentorship program, Employee development not as prominent as previous years. Annual goal setting is not highly regarded among a variety of employees or their managers. Many employees have been with the organization 15 plus years and have a hard time adapting to or encouraging change.

Consider adding more development opportunities such as Six Sigma, on-site MS Office training for employees, TM1 training, etc. The current salary ranges appear to be on the lower end and better talent may be recruited if salary was higher. The future benefit program is rather expensive for the employees and consideration should be made to alleviate some of their financial burdens.

Worked for McGraw-Hill Education? Contribute to the Community!