McGraw-Hill Education

Updated October 12, 2014
2.9

McGraw-Hill Education President and CEO David Levin
David Levin

Pros
  • I've worked at McGraw-Hill for almost nine years because of their work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits and vision on the implementation of technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism to Ohio office where people are paid less; Loads of Hippocracy; Upper management is self-congratulatory (in 13 reviews)

• Management is often very confusing- changing their direction often- resulting in little to no direction (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Mcgraw-Hill

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Innovative Technology.
    Good vision of where they want to go.

Cons

Cumbersome Salesforce CRM System.
    Several job responsibilities that don't match your title.
    Forcing technology on customers.

I think it's a difficult industry to be in now with the shift from print to digital. I think there needs to be more sales support. You have to realize that you need more layers and support as you grow into a digital company.

Downward spiral

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

I used to enjoy working here before Apollo bought us out. Work/life balance was a nice perk, but that has fizzled away with all the layoffs.

Cons

High turnover rate. Salaries aren't competitive.

Life at McGraw-Hill Education

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hours are flexible and good. The location from home to work was good - not alot of travel time.

Cons

Health Insurance is not family friendly. Salaries are behind other companies and the people who do the WORK are not compensated properly. SOME Management does not listen to the employees - Management makes alot of mistakes because of it. To much of the good ol' boys club. Needs to go away. Expect you to be available 24/7/365. Not a family oriented company.

Get it figured out on how to treat the employees better, listen to the seasoned employees, work with middle management to teach the managers on how to manage better, hire people that are actually qualified for the job and not hire friends.

Goodbye Work-Life Balance. Hello Daily Grind!

Current Employee - Assessment Editor
    Current Employee - Assessment Editor

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work on my project remotely, which was wonderful. My pay was also decent (not great). Pleasant co-workers. Those were the two things that kept me going each morning, but rarely longer than that.

Cons

Be prepared to work far beyond your 37.5 hour work week. There is a company culture of guilt, where you will see all of your coworkers and supervisors working late, on weekends, and during their "vacation" days. You will be given emails with smiling cats and a thumbs up in return for your hard work. Innovation, creative thinking, and efficiency are not rewarded. Working long hours are (maybe with a $50 reward, if you're one of the lucky ones). I surveyed people on various projects within the company -- everyone put in 40-60 hours a week.

You are salaried and most likely on multiple projects working "half time." I was added on as "Project Status" and was cut just over halfway through the project, along with all other "Project Status" workers on my project. Take the name of your contract with a grain of salt, and keep in mind the very important clause that they may cut you at any time -- working well and hard will not protect you -- you are truly a human resource to them. Whether or not they keep you on will depend on other projects happening within the company, more than anything else. Keep this in mind when you pass up other jobs that may offer more stability. (And accepting this job in lieu of a job offer you may not have yet received counts as passing up another job!)

Also, you will receive little to no training. Save every email, because there is a good chance someone will ask you why something wasn't done correctly (it's also a culture of blaming) and the answer will likely be because you received no training, or that the person who was given the role of training you has had very little experience in the position (probably working "half time" on another project, as well) and gave you some mis-information.

Overall, an uninspiring place to work. As far as I can tell, McGraw-Hill has wonderful sounding upper management, but little structure in place to reward those for making changes.

Bottom Line: I would not recommend it, even though the salary looks nice from afar -- unless you need a stopgap job.

Reward innovation and creativity. Give employees a way to give feedback on their managers -- mine was new and not wonderful (delightful person...lots to learn as a manager). I had no way to inform anyone of this.

In the beginning it was great towards the end not so much

Former Employee - Credit and Collections in Hightstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit and Collections in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People I worked with were wonderful

Cons

Most of Senior management had issues

High turnover for entry level positions, little room for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, perks like company phone, iPad, partnerships with museums and gyms for free or discounter prices.

Cons

Pay could be better. A lot of budget issues. Some of the mid level management need to come on board with new technology. Office gossip was pretty bad. Is actually very cutthroat! Expect long hours when work increases (pushing for a textbook to finish before a semester starts)

Increase pay! Communicate more with coordinators and management and between offices!

Bad work-life balance

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people here--none of whom are currently with the company. The benefits were okay.

Cons

The salaries are low compared to the number of extra hours you are expected to work. The company pays lip service to "work life balance" but that is a joke. You are made to feel bad if you take time off. Management makes drastic changes and you are forced to adapt. It's a very conservative company, and the bottom line is the only thing that matters. You can only advance by kissing up, not by being good at your job. Overall, working here was a soul-crushing experience.

You need to treat your employees like human beings, not robots, and give them a REAL work-life balance.

Stressful

Former Employee - Project Manager, Scrum Master in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager, Scrum Master in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule and altruistic product

Cons

dealing with immature, unprofessional and hostile employees on the Business side of the house.

Replace old guard employees whose behavior is so deeply ingrained that they have become completely unmanageable with no hope of true collaboration with the Digital Platform Group.

Mission Driven Organization hires engaging CEO

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

David Levin, new CEO is engaging. His use of social media to engage directly with employees is refreshing.

Cons

Office layout is still a bit old school

Accelerate the pace of change - headed in the right direction just need to get there faster

Good to bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed working environment and true 9-5

Cons

No room for advancement and low yearly increases even if you have a great review

If you want people to stay,you have to give then a reason

McGraw-Hill Education Photos