McGraw-Hill Education

Updated November 18, 2014
2.9

McGraw-Hill Education President and CEO David Levin
David Levin

Pros
  • I've worked at McGraw-Hill for almost nine years because of their work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits and vision on the implementation of technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism to Ohio office where people are paid less; Loads of Hippocracy; Upper management is self-congratulatory (in 13 reviews)

• Management is often very confusing- changing their direction often- resulting in little to no direction (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding work

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

Flexible employer for managers - time off, telecommute, etc. You are left to manage your own work and schedule as you need. Ability to climb the organization and contribute in a meaningful way. Some of the teams are filled with really great people and make for an enjoyable career.

Cons

More difficult to advance for females than males. Lower level employees are not as valued and are often left "out of the loop". Non-existent training curriculum for new employees. You have to figure things out on your own and as all jobs are big ones, it can be frustrating in the beginning.

Company has the right idea but is slow to make real changes

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

The people are great and really into collaboration. A true sense of community is being fostered from the top down, which is great for a large company. At the end of the day you really do feel like you're making a difference and can feel good about what you do.

Cons

There's not a lot of room for growth and reorgs/restructuring seem to happen frequently and without much explanation behind them. A lot of talk is given to changing the company's vision of being a digital leader, but much of the company is still solely focused on the traditional paper textbook model.

Continue to evolve to meet the demands of an ever changing market and make sure to retain the people who are really trying to make this happen.

Review

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great core values and innovative products.

Cons

Changes in operational strategies create struggles at times.

Communicate a clear vision.

Good company, but still finding it's way after being sold

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Very talented, dedicated and - by and large - good to work with. Great cafeteria. Thomas is the best chef!

Cons

Pay is a little on the low end. The design department, specifically, has a lot of turf wars. Some of the design managers are not qualified to lead their groups and, I suspect, were promoted based on how long they've worked there and not how qualified they are.

Listen to people. Don't just make decisions without feedback from key individuals who are not just trying to suck up to the boss.

Senior Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

past management was great and promoted excellence

Cons

current management is crazy with a Hitler like man in charge

get out

McGraw-Hill Education Response

Aug 29, 2014VP, Corporate Communications

Senior Sales,

McGraw-Hill Education respects the right of all employees to offer honest feedback and even criticism of their employers on review sites such as Glassdoor. However, we find the
    ... More

Fabulous - but the industry and business model are dying!

Current Employee - Executive Brand Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Brand Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

Colleagues are super smart, driven, and in love with education! Constant intellectual stimulation and very fast-paced work environment. If you love fast-moving, working a ton of hours, and high expectation - you will love MH. Never a dull moment, and it keeps you on your toes.

Cons

I have noticed that much has been written about the changes in management since 2011. I have been with MH for nearly 18 years, and yes, there WERE big changes in '11. However, that is the world of business, and kissing up, and favoritism are everywhere, and yes, it is rampant at MH now. It has become a fraternity/sorority culture as someone wrote on this board. It has become a culture of "who can rock the mic" at the national sales meeting. It has become a culture of how popular you are and how well you kiss up to senior leaders. But the reality is that these behaviors exist in nearly every company, and you just have to know how to work through it - especially if you want to work here, and especially if you want to work in education. So as long as you know this up front and can manage around it - you will be fine.
    THE REAL ISSUE, however, is this: the INDUSTRY IS DYING. Nearly 20% of students do NOT buy textbooks, and that percentage is growing. MH and the other publishers are desperately trying to salvage the industry by "going digital," and yes, these products ARE cool - you cannot deny that. But adoption of these has been slow. In the interim, and UNTIL the tipping point - until the massively-needed transformation occurs - here is what is happening in the life of sales reps: (1) they work tons of hours chasing professors and tracking down orders; (2) because the industry is dying, reps and managers get deluged with dozens - yes dozens - of email messages daily - with new initiatives, new ideas, new plans that will supposedly "help" them win business. The other reality is that nothing has changed in this industry in 20+ years other than digital. WHAT MATTERS - AND WHAT THEY NEED TO CHANGE IS THE BUYING PATTERN and THE DISTRIBUTION MODEL, YET NO ONE IS ADDRESSING IT! NO ONE WANTS TO TOUCH IT! So while they create super-cool digital products, they refuse to address the real problems: (1) students do not want to buy all digital, (2) the national college bookstores! The bookstores want their cut and will do whatever it takes NOT to buy from MH or from any publisher, and (3) UNTIL you change the buying model, i.e., get rid of bookstores and sell directly to students - NOTHING will change, and therefore, this is not an industry right now worth exploring. So while people comment on our culture, on the favoritism, on the sycophant attitude - remember - that happens everywhere. THE REAL and ONLY ISSUE IS THIS: the industry is dying, and until the REAL root of the problem gets addressed, i.e., the distribution/buying model - I recommend that you walk away from MH for the moment.

Address the root of the problem and quit window-dressing the real issue. Digital IS good - no doubt about it - but it's not at the core of what is breaking our industry.

Very conservative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacklick, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacklick, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and pleasant atmosphere

Cons

Very slow in making decision

Believe in your employees; they have the empowerment to make the correct decision.

Downward spiral

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

I used to enjoy working here before Apollo bought us out. Work/life balance was a nice perk, but that has fizzled away with all the layoffs.

Cons

High turnover rate. Salaries aren't competitive.

Goodbye Work-Life Balance. Hello Daily Grind!

Current Employee - Assessment Editor
    Current Employee - Assessment Editor

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work on my project remotely, which was wonderful. My pay was also decent (not great). Pleasant co-workers. Those were the two things that kept me going each morning, but rarely longer than that.

Cons

Be prepared to work far beyond your 37.5 hour work week. There is a company culture of guilt, where you will see all of your coworkers and supervisors working late, on weekends, and during their "vacation" days. You will be given emails with smiling cats and a thumbs up in return for your hard work. Innovation, creative thinking, and efficiency are not rewarded. Working long hours are (maybe with a $50 reward, if you're one of the lucky ones). I surveyed people on various projects within the company -- everyone put in 40-60 hours a week.

You are salaried and most likely on multiple projects working "half time." I was added on as "Project Status" and was cut just over halfway through the project, along with all other "Project Status" workers on my project. Take the name of your contract with a grain of salt, and keep in mind the very important clause that they may cut you at any time -- working well and hard will not protect you -- you are truly a human resource to them. Whether or not they keep you on will depend on other projects happening within the company, more than anything else. Keep this in mind when you pass up other jobs that may offer more stability. (And accepting this job in lieu of a job offer you may not have yet received counts as passing up another job!)

Also, you will receive little to no training. Save every email, because there is a good chance someone will ask you why something wasn't done correctly (it's also a culture of blaming) and the answer will likely be because you received no training, or that the person who was given the role of training you has had very little experience in the position (probably working "half time" on another project, as well) and gave you some mis-information.

Overall, an uninspiring place to work. As far as I can tell, McGraw-Hill has wonderful sounding upper management, but little structure in place to reward those for making changes.

Bottom Line: I would not recommend it, even though the salary looks nice from afar -- unless you need a stopgap job.

Reward innovation and creativity. Give employees a way to give feedback on their managers -- mine was new and not wonderful (delightful person...lots to learn as a manager). I had no way to inform anyone of this.

Mcgraw-Hill

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Innovative Technology.
    Good vision of where they want to go.

Cons

Cumbersome Salesforce CRM System.
    Several job responsibilities that don't match your title.
    Forcing technology on customers.

I think it's a difficult industry to be in now with the shift from print to digital. I think there needs to be more sales support. You have to realize that you need more layers and support as you grow into a digital company.

McGraw-Hill Education Photos