McGraw-Hill Education

Employer Engaged

Lovely Company Great Insurance

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible. You are able to get time off as needed. Great for if you have a family or little children. The pay is good

Cons

They dont offer summer hours like the other competitors. They use to. I wish they would start back. Others are doing it.

Needs to be more communication. They lack communication and interaction. Not the friendliest work environment but the pay is good.

McGraw-Hill Education Response

Jan 21, 2015Manager, HR Recruiting Programs

Thank you for the positive feedback about the McGraw-Hill Education benefit plan and overall flexibility. At MHE, we recognize that it is important to offer flex time and an environment that ... More

Bad eggs at the top cause trickle-down of low morale and huge turnover of employees

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working on educational products can be satisfying

Cons

Employees are not treated well. Huge turnover in employees. Revolving door, at least when I was there.

Value your team. It will be less expensive.

Turnaround Situation

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting products, engaging market challenges - lots to sink your teeth into. New technology is in the works (see cons).

Cons

Technology is abysmal; they're working on it but it's extremely slow going. Poor communication. Not enough people to do the work. Some departments have a low bar when it comes to hiring talent. Not product- and customer-centered enough - some departments seem to be driven by engineering and research rather than what customers really want/need.

Product: We have products. They need to be sold. In your zeal to improve technology you should not forget that our current products need to be maintained. Customers are suffering.
    Operations: Improve the flow and remove the internal barriers - systems improvement and people empowerment! For top-line growth, focus on what sells (product) and those who sell it (sales). FEED IT. Listen to them! For midline contraction, get the key ops people (from all departments) in a room and talk about what's needed and what works; put systems in place that smooth barriers to efficiency and enforce their use. Customer Service needs improvement - again, it's an ops issue, not a training issue... our people are good but they're not empowered.
    MHE has a history of product excellence but right now it's like a beautiful house with termites in the walls. Your employees are waiting for direction! We want MHE to return to glory and we'll do whatever it takes to get it there!

Great Products, Poor Management

Former Employee - Learning Technology Consultant
    Former Employee - Learning Technology Consultant

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

Innovative products that genuinely have value in the marketplace.

Cons

Employees are treated as dispensable and in some regions advancement is based on shallow criteria such as personal appearance preference of the hiring manager. Goals are set extremely high for some and attainable for others. The level of favoritism and lack of consistency is immense. It was a great disappointment to work there. The pressure is intense and micro-management prevails. Employee beware.

Great place to work.

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

McGraw-Hill is a company that is at the head of the industry. It's constantly developing new and innovative products for students and instructors. The company hires well-educated, smart, and hard-working employees so it's great to work with my colleagues.

Cons

It's difficult to get a decent increase in salary unless you transfer to another department or leave the company and come back.

Great Company! I was only hired once as an event planner / entertainment coordinator over 12 years ago.

Former Contractor - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I only got hired as an event planner for one event so cannot say. Would love to do more for them!

Cons

Exec that I worked for didn't take the time to explore working on future events together.

I would have liked some follow up with the person that hired me so that I could have continued working with the company again and again as I do with some other companies. The person that hired me was too busy with her other chores to be interested in that. I put 2010 as last time worked there but actually it was much longer time ago.

It Used To Be A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MHE is conveniently located so commuting is easy. Some divisions are managed well and have an excellent staff, such as the editorial team. They are dedicated and passionate about the work. The design department is poorly managed but the actual designers are talented.

Cons

Frequent layoffs left employees feeling uneasy. It’s obvious who is next by the way you're treated. Annual reviews have little reflection on performance but have become political tools to use against employees. Designers request training but all that is offered are cheap online tutorials. MHE will not pay for hands-on training with a teacher.

MHE has talented and hard-working people that are going to waste because they do not have the support they need to move forward. They desperately need hands-on training in software to bring their skills up to speed with the latest technology. This hard-nosed approach to "figure it out" on your own is completely unrealistic.

Collegial environment during a shift toward a digital environment

Current Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I believe the team I work with is the best place I could have possibly been placed
    Opportunity to be offered full-time employment once completing a 3-month contract

Cons

My experience and possible contributions far surpass what they were willing to pay me as a contractor

I have no idea who upper who upper management is, but I do appreciate the current company values, work-life balance, and flexibility.

Company was dedicated to developing excellent instructional resources for educators and students.

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Knew that we were providing instructional resources that helped teachers make a difference with their students. Strong sense of ownership in the products we developed. Flexible work environment and excellent benefit package.

Cons

Senior leadership at the corporate and local levels were slow or unable to respond to major changes within the education industry caused by severe economic downturns in state education budgets and the impact of the rapid expansion of digital learning in the classrooms. Company was sold by the corporation to a private equity firm in 2013.

I refer to my colleagues here as "The Coven"

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary is good as are the benefits. Some flexibility in terms of working from home if you are more senior. Company is on the cutting-edge of higher education materials.

Cons

Colleagues are willing to throw you under the bus if things don't go right and are only concerned with themselves (promotions, salaries) and not the educational programs the company claims to value. Very little training. Expectations are working 6 days a week. Politics are rampant.

I have worked in higher educational publishing for 20+ years. This is the WORST company I have encountered. While it claims to have the instructors' and students' needs in mind, it does not. I have never worked with people less intelligent, intellectual, or forward thinking in my career.

McGraw-Hill Education Photos