McGraw-Hill Education

Updated January 23, 2015
2.9

McGraw-Hill Education President and CEO David Levin
David Levin

Pros
  • I've worked at McGraw-Hill for almost nine years because of their work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits and vision on the implementation of technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism to Ohio office where people are paid less; Loads of Hippocracy; Upper management is self-congratulatory (in 13 reviews)

• Management is often very confusing- changing their direction often- resulting in little to no direction (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company! I was only hired once as an event planner / entertainment coordinator over 12 years ago.

Former Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I only got hired as an event planner for one event so cannot say. Would love to do more for them!

Cons

Exec that I worked for didn't take the time to explore working on future events together.

I would have liked some follow up with the person that hired me so that I could have continued working with the company again and again as I do with some other companies. The person that hired me was too busy with her other chores to be interested in that. I put 2010 as last time worked there but actually it was much longer time ago.

Collegial environment during a shift toward a digital environment

Current Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I believe the team I work with is the best place I could have possibly been placed
    Opportunity to be offered full-time employment once completing a 3-month contract

Cons

My experience and possible contributions far surpass what they were willing to pay me as a contractor

I have no idea who upper who upper management is, but I do appreciate the current company values, work-life balance, and flexibility.

Lost their soul after the buy out

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Educational publishing has potential to improves people's live and their future. Consistently making your sales goal can be very lucrative.

Cons

Managing by metrics may be the goal, but sales employees had to manually enter most of the data themselves. literally adding hours of work each day. Managers micromanaged out of fear for their own jobs

Could be so much better

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Positioning for the future, innovative product concepts, strong name in an industry looking for leadership. Great place for young women to apply. Nice physical work environment. Depending on department or location, you could have a very positive experience here.

Cons

Leadership in flux for over 10 years, and executes poorly, namely in compensation and HR related matters. Annual consolidating of jobs to achieve financial goals. Those left behind carry an excessive workload. No clear career path. Profit sharing and pension plans gone. Health insurance increases have reduced this once shiny benefit.

Words are empty when your actions do not support them

3 years with McGraw

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have wonderful benefits and vacation time. I worked with a lot of talented, nice, and helpful people and made a lot of friends who in turn taught me many valuable assets and new talents.

Cons

The pay is terrible for SOME employees, and the management is awful. They promote based on time and don't pick the employees who really make the place successful and they play favorites BIG TIME. I had a boss who would leave DAILY/WEEKLY for 2-3 hours at a time on "lunch", which was very frustrating especially if you needed assistance. They also made a lot of broken promises.

I would love to come back to the company, but would also love to see the company succeed as a whole by looking at your lower level employees and really training and trusting the work they do and promoting the people who deserve it based on talent and work ethic over the buddy system.

Very profession environment, lots of autonomy, smart colleagues

Current Employee - Editor/Product Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor/Product Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collegial environment, supportive management, tradition of cultivating new talent and willingness to promote / hire from within

Cons

Days can be super busy

Good place for a woman to work

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Well funded. Innovative and well-respected within the Education industry.

Cons

Leadership among senior ranks varies too much. Some executives have no prior management experience. The result is a patchwork quilt of portfolio management and short/long term development strategy. Clear development paths are lacking as well.

To keep the best talent, you have to develop people - including their managers.

Account Exec

Current Employee - Learning Technology Consultant
    Current Employee - Learning Technology Consultant

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture, Great Energy. All positive.

Cons

Compensation is a little weak

Semester Bonuses.

I gained a lot of insight into the corporate business world through McGraw Hill.

Former Employee - T&E/P-Card Analyst in Hightstown, NJ
    Former Employee - T&E/P-Card Analyst in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has an excellent 401K program and really does give a lot of experience to new graduates.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company was not keeping up with the current times and had difficulty maintaining it's reputation as having the best school books in the country.

Being more proactive with regards to which direction school books are going.

McGraw Hill was going through a transformation for older, traditional culture and moving to a more nimble, digital compa

Former Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

Great, intelligent, passionte people. The company is rich in the ulture of helping teachers educate children.

Cons

The salary and benefits appear to be a little below similar positions in other companies.

McGraw-Hill Education Photos