McGraw Hill Financial

McGraw Hill Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

McGraw Hill Financial President & CEO Douglas L. Peterson

Douglas L. Peterson

Pros
  • Work life balance, friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits like free museum admissions etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is abysmal within specific HR Teams(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management attitude is "you are with us or you are against us(in 13 reviews)

Solid company; reliable; but freelancers don't receive benefits such as extra consideration when applying for jobs.

Freelance Editorial Work - Independent Contractor (Current Employee)

ProsPlentiful freelance opportunities. Good communication. Diligent to keep up with latest technology. Try to make processes as easy as possible for the vendor/freelancer.

ConsVery little to no variability in pay based on performance or longevity for freelancers; no opportunities for receiving any benefits of any kind, including reduced prices on merchandise, complimentary copies of books; no point system or other system to grant special consideration to most loyal freelancers when they are looking for in-house work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut into place some system of rewards to loyal and quality freelancers. Include at least three benefits in the system and make it formal by spelling out the requirements. Freelancers need incentives to keep them keen rather than becoming complacent. Complacency will lead to a very significant loss in quality of your product. Financial is now Education, but this review is directed toward what was in place when it was part of Financial (McGraw-Hill Companies). The fact that you never heard a freelancer voice these viewpoints before tells you that you have been ignoring this.

McGraw Hill Financial Manager of Employment Branding and Marketing responded to this review

Mar 4, 2014

This review is for freelancing at McGraw Hill Education, which is no longer part of McGraw Hill Financial. The feedback needs to be directed to MHE, since MHFI doesn't employ editorial freelancers ... More

Could be better.

ProsProvides a good package, however no pension or stock.

ConsExpect a lot and no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff an opportunity to move up.

Great company to work for and advance in.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRoom for growth. Help with continuing education. Management is supportive.

ConsSome employees have a "pass the buck" mind set.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong Company

Senior Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTop notch areas of expertise, Many opportunities, Resources available to grow in your career

ConsBureaucracy typical of a large company gets in the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and flatten Management

Been with the same company for many. It has been exciting!

ProsThe company has always been a leader in the services and products it represents

ConsPerhaps not too much growth potential in niche jobs

Great

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWell respected company, great people to work with.

ConsCurrently going through reorganization changes due to change in corporate structure.

Having been here for over a year, I can attest that the expectations have been met and exceeded.

Executive Recruiter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat career oportunities; exceptional life/ work balance; competitive benefits

ConsBureacratic and slow in implementing change; outsourcing of back office functions has resulted in intermediate glitches and quite a frustration

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep empowerng employees; increase transparency of all actions; enhance communication

Pretty good place to to work although still a bit conservative. Company offers good benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFocus on innovation and growth and being a good corporate citizen.

ConsPublic company; lay-offs are common when company is falling short of meeting shareholder expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan do a better job in career development opportunities for mid-level employees. Should open mentoring opportunities to mid levels rather than only to senior managers. Also they could encourage/promote engagement between different business units as well as opportunities for lateral movement. Silo thinking prevails.

so-so

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros9-5 shop with little pressure

Consnothing interesting in technology,
    tremendous resistance to any change
    they do not know what they represent anymore with a young CTO left after staying for just 2 years.
    Strong presence of one culture with corresponding values of no critical thinking and been afraid of looking outside the box.

Here is the advice to tech people:
     if you not from India and if you value your hard acquired skills - RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should balance the boat with american values that mix of cultures brings. You are not outsourced yet, so stop behaving like you are back home already.
    Such should clean their ranks first of all these smiling faces with no values. Get people who have a desire to create and ideas how to do it. Not all these "don't bark on me i won't bark on you" personalities.
    Second, figure out what do they want to do - now they are just running the wave out with nothing new in the pipe.

It was a very good place to work with lots of benefits .I leaned some computer skills while I was a employee there.

Receiving Personal (Former Employee) DeSoto, TX

ProsThere was a lot of good medical benefits . The management was very helpful.

ConsThe pay scale was not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeded more communications with the employees.

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!