McGraw Hill Financial

Updated May 29, 2014

McGraw Hill Financial President & CEO Douglas L. Peterson

Douglas L. Peterson

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot in the Human Resources Department.

Data Administrator (Former Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsFriendly people and pleaseant work place

Consdownside was working as a temporay employee instead of a permanent employee

No one cares

Manager (Current Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsThere are some parts of the organization that are still ok. If you are a senior exec, you will get rewarded generously.

ConsIt's very apparent that money is valued over quality. We are constantly reminded that the company will make more money if we lose our jobs. It's very difficult to do your job when your senior leaders are replaced by people that don't care what you do and don't understand your value.

Inexperienced, high paid leaders waste millions in attempts to implement new systems, only to change to a different system before the first project is complete.

Most of IT and Shared Services is made up of contractors from India. The building is a dump with furniture is from the 70s. The company is making money, but it only benefits a select few.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember the company's vision is more than saving a buck. Quality and customer service are still relevant.

Must be part of the "group"

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsGood benefits, nice location, people are nice

ConsTough envirement to get things accomplished

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people you hire to do the job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

McGraw Hill Outsourcing

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsI was brought on board as a Technology Infrastructure Project Manager and a few weeks after getting started, announcement was made to outsource all off the technology roles. Executives expected this to be a better methodology.

While bringing economics to the entire organization, it was "supposed' to streamline process.

ConsThe overall outsourcing not only encompassed the Technology organization but also finance and human resources.

The schedule was not met to turnover to the offshore team, many long term employee's were put out to pasture and over a year later, process is NOT streamlined as expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a travesty! Many employee's who dedicated their life's work to this company were put out to pasture. There seems to be trend in doing this here in the US and this is breaking the back of the American workers. Companies who only think of the economic aspect should be made aware that this is NOT acceptable by not buying their products or services.

Great beginning, bad ending.

Senior Administrator (Former Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsGood health benefits. Work life balance is very good.

ConsLike many companies, especially in IT your position may be outsourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Constant threat of outsourcing

Hightstown, NJ

ProsStrong company, good pay and benefits. Some parts of the organization are run well and there can be opportunities for advancement.

ConsMany areas are being outsourced or off shored. Morale is low as employees are expected to support the work that will replace their jobs. Senior management is mostly out of touch and concerned only with the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the value of the your employees

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Shared Service Employee

Manager (Current Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsHard working colleagues, long time employees, wide range of businesses

ConsInconsistant recognition/bonuses, favoritism, clueless upper management, no consistent work/life options

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better performance recognition program that has structure. Upper management seems to only recognize their favorites and not the effort that was put into a project when handing out bonuses. Look at the performance & skills of the shared services management. None of them know the first thing about developing employees and they hide in their offices and are nowhere to be found.

Business Shared Services analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Hightstown, NJ

ProsFriendly atmosphere, good work/life balance, flexible hours, good benefits, 401K

ConsPoor management, no advancement opportunities in recent years, positions being outsourced to handle spinoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean Six Sigma is broken, as some solutions are not implemented.

Excellent

ProsGreat Diverse Company with a strong respecting culture

ConsSometimes a little beaurocratic but not a problem

Finance

Hightstown, NJ

ProsThis is a company you can work at for 40 years and "just get by" doing things the same as previous tasks. If you are loyal and play the politics you will do well. The benefits are good.

ConsThe company has many programs in place that sound good in theory (such as mentoring, community giving, flexible work arrangements) but it is very hard to take advantage of these programs.
    The company always makes top ten lists for work-life balance and good for working mothers but my experience has been the opposite. As a manager myself, I am expected to be flexible with my staff's personal situations, however I do not receive the same courtesy from my boss. Even though everyone has a laptop, we are only allowed to work from home in extenuating circumstances. My manager never thanks me or shows recognition, which is disappointing. On my job interview it was made to seem that there were tons of growth opportunities in my office, but for the career path I'd like to be on, the only option is for me to relocate to the Manhattan office.
    It is very hard to initiate change. People have worked there for way too long and there is a divide amongst the different business segments.
    You don't know who you can trust. I receive very poor career guidance.
    The pay is ok to start but the raises are very low. Regardless of your performance, manager's are instructed to give raises that average to a low percentage so the differentiation between a high and low performer does not show up in the raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow gratitude to your employees so you stop losing the talent; foster an environment that promotes career growth; do more than just say how great an employer you are and show it.

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!

McGraw Hill Financial Videos

McGraw Hill Financial – Why Work for Us?

Be essential to the global financial markets at McGraw Hill Financial. When you work for McGraw Hill Financial, your contributions are essential to us and to the markets we serve. • McGraw Hill Financial is made up of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGraw Hill Financial reviews and ratings in Hightstown, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGraw Hill Financial CEO Douglas L. Peterson. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by McGraw Hill Financial employees.