McGraw Hill Financial

McGraw Hill Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

McGraw Hill Financial President & CEO Douglas L. Peterson

Douglas L. Peterson

Pros
  • Work life balance, friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits like free museum admissions etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is abysmal within specific HR Teams (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management attitude is "you are with us or you are against us (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Collegial. Consensus based approach for any efforts. Good company with favorable policies for employees.

Director Program Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood employee friendly policies on remote work arrangements. Good benefits. Good profit sharing plans. Good Health benefits. Good benefits like free museum admissions etc...

ConsDifficult to move from one position to another. Everything is done based on getting consensus. Sometimes it is very difficult to move quickly if the situation warrants it. Penny wise and pound foolish sometimes.

Good people, great place to learn. Slow career growth.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt is great place to learn. Across the different areas in the company there are many dedicated and talented people. Most people including upper management are very friendly and approachable.

ConsSignificant outsourcing over recent years has reduced efficiency. Overall, despite many opportunities to learn, there is very slow or little career growth opportunities.

Great place to work

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsGreat people - loved the atmosphere

ConsDivision sold out - Publishing future unknown

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

McGraw-Hill Conastruction Advertising Sales

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWas a fine company that paid well, offered uncommonly good benefits, allowed me a lot of automony to do my job as I saw fit.

ConsI've been away for a while. But it seems like everyone I worked with has been let go. My vague impression is that they often now have one person doing what two or more did during my days there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf McGraw-Hill management wants my advice, they're welcome to call me.

Great company to work for with better than average benefits.

ProsCompany is considerate of their employees and is always striving to better themselves.

ConsSometimes communication is an issue as with most corporate companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening more to your employees, especially staff positions such as assistants vs. management all the time. They would learn a great deal because what most consider lower level staff positions, in my opinion, is the foundation for any successful organization.

Massive transformation from traditional publishing entity to financial services data provider.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHighly intelligent colleagues, great brands that are excellently positioned.

ConsThe company is still figuring out what it wants to be when it grows up. Lots of change for change's sake with lack of clear vision of what needs to be done in what order.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick and path and execute. Empower the ranks to drive positive change forward and reduce bottlenecks.

A decent start-up job to your career in Finance.

Research Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWelcoming environment.
    Not difficult to learn working material and programs used.
    Very spacious.

ConsNot very interesting in terms of tasks and assignments.
    Very little room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more benefits outside and within the office for employees.

It was a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company paid a good salary

ConsMany jobs have been eliminated as a result of outsourcing

No one cares

Manager (Current Employee) Hightstown, NJ

ProsThere are some parts of the organization that are still ok. If you are a senior exec, you will get rewarded generously.

ConsIt's very apparent that money is valued over quality. We are constantly reminded that the company will make more money if we lose our jobs. It's very difficult to do your job when your senior leaders are replaced by people that don't care what you do and don't understand your value.

Inexperienced, high paid leaders waste millions in attempts to implement new systems, only to change to a different system before the first project is complete.

Most of IT and Shared Services is made up of contractors from India. The building is a dump with furniture is from the 70s. The company is making money, but it only benefits a select few.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember the company's vision is more than saving a buck. Quality and customer service are still relevant.

Enterprise Data Architect

Enterprise Data Architect (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell established Process and Procedures

ConsAs would be expected in a large company, there is too much bureaucracy

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!