McGraw Hill Financial Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
3.3

McGraw Hill Financial President & CEO Douglas L. Peterson
Douglas L. Peterson

Pros
  • Work life balance, friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits like free museum admissions etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is abysmal within specific HR Teams (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management attitude is "you are with us or you are against us (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance like my work

Cons

Growth is slow ...senior management slow

Some VPs dont manage well and please do there reviews well.

Outsource EVERYTHING, surrounded by employees who would rather be anyplace else. Call India for horrible support.

Current Employee - Technical  in  Nonesuch, MI
    Current Employee - Technical in Nonesuch, MI

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. Only reason we're still here. When management announced that "raises will be reduced to low singe-digits to allow company growth", they weren't kidding. 2.4% IS LOW SINGLE-DIGITS, right? Inflation for 2013 in the U.S. was about 1.7%... so... don't go to McDonald's too often on THAT pay raise.

Cons

Soul crushing environment. No enthusiasm, no creativity, no interest. Most would rather stare out the window. Cheer all who leave to move to jobs where they have value. In general we are all ignored. Stupid place to be. But it's a check. Those leaving exceed those arriving.... because logic.

You guys have essentially killed any 'quality of work life' by this genius move "from Value company to Growth company". Yeah right. OK, now freeze spending company wide in 2014. So we can't actually function, but we'll come in everyday to zero forward motion, no projects, no initiatives. There's no money for that! We want to be SURE that Mr. Peterson (hey, you seem like a nice guy) get his $1.1 million bonus plus $4 million equity for MHF having such a great year. For you, yeah.

Sales

I worked at McGraw Hill Financial

Pros

Business casual. Or sneak in wearing a hoody and jeans and most of managers will look other way

Cons

Poor training management and inner structure promotes dishonesty and cut throat mentality Management talks the talk but has no idea what they are saying. Run before walking. Madness

Read more and people skills

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

T&E/P-Card Specialist

Former Employee - T&E/P-Card Specialist  in  Hightstown, NJ
    Former Employee - T&E/P-Card Specialist in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful 401K Program. I learned a lot about how a fortune 500 company works.

Cons

Company was behind the times with regards to e-books.

Become ahead of the game with regards to where book sales are going.

Good people, great place to learn. Slow career growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time

Pros

It is great place to learn. Across the different areas in the company there are many dedicated and talented people. Most people including upper management are very friendly and approachable.

Cons

Significant outsourcing over recent years has reduced efficiency. Overall, despite many opportunities to learn, there is very slow or little career growth opportunities.

Collegial. Consensus based approach for any efforts. Good company with favorable policies for employees.

Current Employee - Director Program Management  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director Program Management in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good employee friendly policies on remote work arrangements. Good benefits. Good profit sharing plans. Good Health benefits. Good benefits like free museum admissions etc...

Cons

Difficult to move from one position to another. Everything is done based on getting consensus. Sometimes it is very difficult to move quickly if the situation warrants it. Penny wise and pound foolish sometimes.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people - loved the atmosphere

Cons

Division sold out - Publishing future unknown

McGraw-Hill Conastruction Advertising Sales

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Was a fine company that paid well, offered uncommonly good benefits, allowed me a lot of automony to do my job as I saw fit.

Cons

I've been away for a while. But it seems like everyone I worked with has been let go. My vague impression is that they often now have one person doing what two or more did during my days there.

If McGraw-Hill management wants my advice, they're welcome to call me.

Massive transformation from traditional publishing entity to financial services data provider.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Highly intelligent colleagues, great brands that are excellently positioned.

Cons

The company is still figuring out what it wants to be when it grows up. Lots of change for change's sake with lack of clear vision of what needs to be done in what order.

Pick and path and execute. Empower the ranks to drive positive change forward and reduce bottlenecks.

Great company to work for with better than average benefits.

I have been working at McGraw Hill Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is considerate of their employees and is always striving to better themselves.

Cons

Sometimes communication is an issue as with most corporate companies.

Start listening more to your employees, especially staff positions such as assistants vs. management all the time. They would learn a great deal because what most consider lower level staff positions, in my opinion, is the foundation for any successful organization.

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!