McGraw-Hill Ryerson

Updated Dec 10, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

David L. Swail

Flexible working hours, inflexible roles and responsibilities.

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Ryerson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFabulous work-life balance, relaxed atmosphere, good bonus structure (when sales are high), great benefits for both pension and health care.

ConsLack of flexibility for adapting to new markets, management is unable to allow people to assume multiple responsibilities based on strength rather than title.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink how the company is run, as the education market is rethinking how they buy resources.

Could have been much better.

Tier I Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee)
Whitby, ON (Canada)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Ryerson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros- Hours were very flexible
- Working from home is always a plus
- Can work anywhere with an internet connection

Cons- Training was rushed
- Not enough materials to do job in a timely manner
- Many computer issues

Company Culture needs a fresh look

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Whitby, ON (Canada)

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Ryerson full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat benefits and work/life balance

Consculture is too old-school for today's youth

Advice to Senior Managementget with the times

Old boys club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Ryerson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a large enough company to offer decent benefits and perks. Management does not really know what is happening so you can get by without doing much. You just need to figure out which are the pet projects of the time and be vocally supportive, even if they do not make any sense at all. Flexible working hours.

ConsNo clear sense of leadership. Promotions are not based on experience or merit, resulting in poor quality middle management with little knowledge of processes and best practices, no depth of experience to make good editorial decisions or sign on good authors which is important if you are a serious publisher.

A very positive experience in an intellectually stimulating fast paced environment.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at McGraw-Hill Ryerson

ProsMcGraw-Hill Ryerson has an excellent collaborative culture. Employees are well respected. There is an understanding from Senior Management that employees work hard at a work life balance. There is flexibility when you need it. It is a performance based culture. Strong performance, work integrity and dedication is rewarded. There are many opportunities to do different jobs within the company and for advancement both locally and internationally. Very good global collaboration between various business units.

ConsAt times, communication from senior management about changes in the company or other important issues comes too late. This leads to employees becoming distracted and speculating on what a given announcement will be about. At times, internal competition is encouraged which is not always productive and leads to unnecessary politics. The culture is a consensus based one which also can lead to unnecessary politics and not always the best outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are very observant. If something important is going on, don't wait for the last minute to announce it. Spend more time interacting with non-senior managers within the organization to better understand how employees are doing and you'll likely get some good feedback from them.

Worked for McGraw-Hill Ryerson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGraw-Hill Ryerson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McGraw-Hill Ryerson CEO David L. Swail. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by McGraw-Hill Ryerson employees.