McGregor Boyall Associates Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
13 reviews filtered by
4.1
Laurie Boyall

Great team, great ambition, work life balance and career progression

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic management team with great ambitions! Surrounded by good role models and encouraged to succeed, share ideas and progress! The best recruitment agency I have worked for (out of 2 others)

Cons

None - and I'm not just saying that!

Keep up the good work

2. Not worth your time

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at McGregor Boyall Associates

Pros

Free notepad and pen upon arrival

Cons

This is an awful and un-trusting place to work. Having worked there i got to see the inner working of an organisation who literally would sell you out on one hand whilst offering you treats with the other. They treat staff in an appaling manner and this was witnessed on several occasions. Issues arent dealt with in the proper fashion and people have left as quick as they have joined. Management do little to no work but take the credit for other peoples efforts then take ownership of that and force them out the door. More than in my previous sales industry do they backstab and fail to do their job in any capacity. Look at the numbers who spent less than 2 years with them. The accounts the promise are not at the level they speak of or in a strong position. STAY CLEAR of this agency

Great culture and rewarding workplace!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates

Pros

Great place to work, lots of opportunity for progression and people who have been here a long time to help you learn and develop your career.
    The environment is great, everyone works well together working hard but also leaving enough time to socialise!
    They offer great incentives alongside commission, examples include, Quarterly clubs, Vouchers, Champagne, trips to New York! - So lots to make you want to work harder :)

Overall really great company, great atmosphere, and I would highly recommend it.

Cons

Recruitment can be stressful, so standard cons to the job

5. Look after your staff!

Former Employee - Resourcer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resourcer in London, England (UK)

I worked at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A brilliant team and some individually great people. A good commission structure as a resourcer. It was great not to have telephone calls monitored or be given ridiculous KPI's like most other Recruitment companies.

Cons

Being made to work long hours but I guess this is the same in all Recruitment companies. The progression from Resourcer to Consultant was very slow and poorly managed. It was like they were keeping you back on purpose so they didn't have to pay you more money. Managers tell you how well you are doing and give you A LOT of extra responsibility but then don't give you any rewards in return. It's like they employ junior people to get all the money they can out of them and then expect them to leave... and the cycle begins again.

Make sure you look after your employees more or the turnover will continue to soar! The senior team may have been there a long time but most employees at entry level leave after a year.

Great people and culture.....

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mix of people with different backgrounds and levels of experience to learn from. Sociable but professional work environment, quite flat structured and there are plenty of opportunities to grow within the firm. Healthy competition across the floor but generally everyone is supportive and works together collaboratively. As for financials, if you do a good job you will be rewarded. Good overall company values and solid work ethic.

Cons

There is a need for better internal communications, especially now we have several offices in UK/Globally. Training is basic and would be good to see a bit of investment in developing people.

Consider a bit more investment and a consistent approach to training and development.

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

McGregor Boyall is an excellent company for both experienced Recruitment Consultants and anyone new to the industry looking to develop a career. They give you the opportunity to succeed in an environment that is both friendly and supportive. The training programmes are excellent, and outside of this the general level of industry knowledge within the company is second to none. The friendly atmosphere created ensures that consultants work together and share knowledge to achieve mutual success.

Cons

There can be some late nights, but no more so than any other recruitment company.

None

Excellent place to start your career and learn from some of the best in the City

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am regularly called by Rec2Rec’s about new opportunities with my “competitors”, but I have no reason to leave McGregor Boyall as I thoroughly enjoy working here; they have the brand, the clients, a solid database with access to Linkedin Recruiter, which is a great tool and the pay / commission is very good (Once you’re up and running)! Plus, I work with some of the best consultants in the City and there is a good atmosphere with monthly awards for “target hitters” and team lunches at the best restaurants in London for teams who hit target over the quarter (They’re ALWAYS a good laugh).
    From day one there is promotion transparency - you know exactly what you need to do to work your way up the ladder and progress your career. I started as a Resourcer and am now a Principal Consultant.

Cons

The culture is sometimes a little too relaxed, but if you are someone who works well without someone breathing down your neck 24/7, then McGregor Boyall is a great place to work!

The best recruitment company I have worked for!!!!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well I was there for 6 years and all I can say is that I made a massive error in leaving. Great people, MD has an open door policy, people stay there for 10 years or so, fantastic family feel to the environment, doesn't have all of the rubbish phone times and crap kpi's but has a qualitative outlook which is refreshing. Having worked at 6 other recruitment companies it is by far the best.

Cons

It is like every recruitment company, sales environment which can be tough anywhere you go.

Don't change. Stay as you are, fair and true to each individual employee.

Rewarding workplace and a great brand!

I have been working at McGregor Boyall Associates

Pros

From my experience of working for McGregor-Boyall I can only speak positives.

Having worked for other recruitment companies there are clear and distinct differences to why they are streets ahead from other experiences I have previously had.

Everyone is approachable and willing to help, this includes back office, management and across the sales floor. They allow their staff to be expressive and are always looking to be an organic company that promotes from within.

Management use KPIs as a tool to improve performance and profitability as supposed to scare mongering their staff. You are trusted and treated as a professional and are left to manage your own time and workload.

I have recommended previous colleagues to join the company and I am sure that they will echo the comments that I have made.

Cons

Recruitment as a whole can be a challenging environment, so the normal stresses and strains do apply.

Rewarding career based employer in the recruitment industry

Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at McGregor Boyall Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have spent a rewarding 8 years with McGregor Boyall progressing from Jnr consultant through to Associate Director. Every step of the way I was offered guidance and support by my immediate boss and the management team. The firms meritocratic approach gives talented staff the tools to build their career and bank balance without limitation. If you are a decent recruiter you will succeed here - FACT

Cons

Occasional long hours (If you don't like that change career)

Mo Money Mo Problems!