McKean Defense Group

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
3.8

CEO

Excellent company to work for.

I have been working at McKean Defense Group

Pros

Employee owned (ESOP), great leadership and compensation.

Cons

McKean has a difficult time compete ting for some contracts due the the overall level of knowledge it currently employs.

Keep looking after your employees because their reputation is what keeps the company afloat.

Good place to go for retired military

Current Employee - Program Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McKean Defense Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, decent pay, decent benefits, camaraderie, lots of independence.

Cons

Abysmal, drive-by management style, little to no chance of progression or promotion, no local HR functions, pay could stand some improvement, lack of ethical leadership at the local level, higher management seems either unaware of local conditions or is un-committed to improving those conditions.

Set the example, establish standards for behavior, performance and attendance, and enforce those standards. Recognize the employees with a bonus, award or something! A paycheck is not adequate recognition for work well done above and beyond the scope. There is no motivation to excel here.

Excellent, friendly company. Very professional.

I worked at McKean Defense Group

Pros

Great benefits. Great team members. Great business model and very sucessful

Cons

Still privately held so no stock options. Customers are not always utilizing MDG talent in most effective manner.

Great Personnel but there are issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at McKean Defense Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very aggressive in seeking new opportunities.
    Initial pay is sufficient.
    The work environment is superior. Great people to share your world with!

Cons

Compensation. Not willing to pay commensurate to the level of effort.
    Allows customer to have excessive task creep.
    Basically, more requirements. Minimal at best (if any) compensation.

A bonus plan based on EBIT. Based on the management offsites (vacations) that are highly visible to all employees, there is a disparity in the compensation and it creates a feeling of not being appreciated.

Missed opportunity to Impress

I have been working at McKean Defense Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good People, very friendly atmosphere. Great Vision towards goals that may be out of reach due to size of company.

Cons

No special benefits for employees or than healthcare and dental, need to reach out more to all employees, does not match 401K.

Reach out and make employees feel needed or wanted, consider perks such as discounts. Need a company store so people can represent the company on travel or meetings.

Good Job, Good pay with great benefits, so-so management

Current Employee - Program Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McKean Defense Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mckean has proven to be very flexible in their compensation and benefits, and they have gave me everything I wanted when I was hired. The content of my job as a Program Analyst is clear, concise, and well-defined. Policies and procedures for time off, flex scheduling, and work-life balance are pretty generous and easy to work with. The staff in the office are all close and very friendly with each other. Aside from management, it is a strong team environment.

Cons

The local management is mediocre. The manager keeps working hours that would result in termination most anywhere else. The manager does not understand the technical aspects of the program being managed, but doesn't (or won't) acknowledge that fact. When confronted with issues, the manager turns the table and places the onus on the rank and file employees, saying we are too sensitive or need to calm down. The manager has created an environment that does not align staff and management energy, effort, and focus in a single direction. There always seems to be extra and wasted time and effort.

Pay more attention to the personality and knowledge of the people you put into management position. A bad manager wrecks the morale and motivation of employees.

good experience

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at McKean Defense Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

lack of clarification on advancement requirements.

disclose that information to employees. but i have not been there for some time, so that might have already happened.

Not your typical GOV/DoD Contracts company.

Former Employee - IT Pro in West Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - IT Pro in West Bethesda, MD

I worked at McKean Defense Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have dealt with contracting companies, you might find that there is typically a mercenary approach to how they operate because of the nature of the bid win/loss process. I am very happy to report that McKean Defense Group breaks that stereotype. This is a company that will treat you as you would want to be treated. I have nothing but good things to say in all aspects of this companies behavior.

Cons

As a former employee that worked for McKean Defense Group for several years, I really have nothing bad to say about the company. I am an outspoken critic and have no problem calling BS when the occasion arises, but really I was shocked to find that these folks do care about the on site contractors.

Really the only thing I could say is thanks for everything and don't change!

Interview was pretty informal for the maintenance position.

I have been working at McKean Defense Group

Pros

Very friendly staff
    HR was very proactive
    Salary very competitive with other defense contractors.

Cons

Just started with McKean and I have nothing negative to report. Will revisit this review after 90 days.

Dissatisfied with the company and did not have the best experience

I worked at McKean Defense Group full-time

Pros

This is a good place to work if you are lucky enough to get a good manager. The managers personalities and how they operate are inconsistent. Some allow flex time and the ability to work from home, which is great, but if you are one of the unlucky few, you will have to be in the office Monday through Friday while others are allowed to make their own schedules. Another pro to working for McKean is that it is in a brand new building and all of the equipment/software is up to date

Cons

The cons are unfortunately endless. In my interview, I was pitched the idea that I would have a lot of growth and the opportunity to work with a team while using the skill set I went to school for. At McKean, their idea of team work is that everyone works on the same project at the same time and communicates through passive aggressive emails. There is no collaboration involved. I also did not use any of the skills I acquired in college because my main tasking was editing PowerPoint slides, not for content, but to change the shading and border colors of shapes.

Another con to the company is that the PMs are inappropriate at best. There are many comments that are borderline harassing.

Finally, if you enjoy being micromanaged with vague direction, this is the place for you. I would receive emails notifying me of tasks and before I could read the entire email, I had someone at my desk reiterating every minute detail written in the email that I was currently reading. I was required to give constant updates on every project I did and if an email went unanswered, because I was say, in the restroom, someone was at my desk asking if I saw the email. I would also receive emails about a project that didnt make sense, and when I asked questions about it, I was told to reread the email and to use my "creative interpretation', which was always wrong.

This company says they are growing, but just because they hire people to fill the people that are leaving does not mean growth. They will most likely have a steady outlook on the surface, but the turnover rate seems to be high

I think a manager should actually BE a manager, not just avoid saying hello to their employees in the hallway. My manager was uninspiring, uncommunicative, and pompous. The only time he spoke to his direct reports was to remind us that we are salaried employees and should work as many hours as necessary to finish the job, and not request over time.