McKee Foods

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike McKee

Great place to work and build your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsStrong Executive leadership
    Highly focused
    Treat employees more than fair
    Super nice culture - family/life balance
    Fun products

ConsNo room to advance or it will take a long time
    Tenure is valued over talent. Lots of "lifers" sitting in chairs.
    Slow to move and not nimble in decision making
    Talent vacuum can be heard as great people leave for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStir up the mix and take risks.
    Eliminate the "leaners" and promote the "lifters".
    Look beyond tenure and look at fresh talent

Family owned... people care about you

I/S Intern (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN

ProsIts a smaller place so its pretty friendly. Working in I/S is pretty chill for the most part. A lot of the full time employees are older and some are set in their ways, others are not (technologywise). There are quite a few interns that bring youth to the company. Decent pay for interns. Free little debbies all day.

ConsToo many free little debbies. You'll get fat.
    They don't have many open positions for developers. Most people stay forever at McKee making it hard for new positions to open up.

Life long growth with a family owned company

ProsTrust respect family values fullfilment of goals growth. This is a company with people value and core values to be the best

ConsThe business is changing all the time we need to react to promotion activity and new item introductions. look at competition closer

Advice to Senior Managementdistributor incentives need to be more meaningful Fuel cards for incentives. New items need more promotions. Core items need to be run more often with deeper discounts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have loved working at Mckee Foods.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN

ProsGood wages. Medical Benifits. Family owned and operated. Christian owned.

ConsI can not think of any.

A great place to work!

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsVery open with information. They want to hear what you have to say and are dedicated to making McKee a great place to work. Compensation and benefits are competitive. There is tremendous longevity among the workforce and an opportunity for advancement, if you are willing to stick around. The team is very open to diversity and variation in thinking. The family is actively involved in the business and has the competence to perform in the positions they hold.

ConsWhile the senior leaders have good intentions there are many great programs, processes and procedures developed but not being actively used and likewise, many dysfunctional programs, processes and procedures being used. Each division is a silo i.e. transportation, distribution, manufacturing and field sales and within each of those divided further within each. This causes the organization to often times work against itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the silos. Create one HR function, one IT function and etc. The confusion caused by the division in these functional areas causes employee dissatisfaction and the inability to get a straight answer- most often at the first line level.

Overall good, but dysfunctional management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Collegedale, TN

ProsI can't speak for the manufacturing operations, but in salaried business process areas, it is a relatively good company to work for. They are very good at hiring and retaining excellent people, so there is plenty of talent and a "nice" atmosphere is valued and maintained.

ConsThere is more than the typical amount of management dysfunction. Silos of authority are sacrosanct causing logical absurdities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some good management consultants to totally redesign the management structures of the company, then implement at least most of the recommendations.

Centralize Information Technology authority and implement a cohesive IT strategy throughout the company.

Good place to work

Process Operator (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN

ProsGood pay. Good benefits. Profit sharing

ConsThere are a few really bad production supervisors that work here. I work in production in Collegedale, and can tell you first hand its who you work for that makes all the difference. I have worked for some supervisors here that are biased toward some and love to micro manage. This creates an uncomfortable working enviroment that no one wants to be in. Treating some unfairly and jumping on the chance to wright them up. It will backfire on them because no one will like them, nor will anyone want to work for them either.Those supervisors need not be in that position to begin with, especially working for a company like Mckee Foods that is Christan based. There are some very good supervisors that work here as well. I have worked for some that would go out of there way to do anything for you. Treating all fairly and has everyone's best interest in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the impact your decisions are going to make on all those employees who are doing the best the can from day to day trying to make a living.

current employee

ProsGood wages and benefits. A family like work enviroment.

ConsTo many people resistant to change. To many people holding on to "sacred cows".

Advice to Senior Managementencourage innovation. Encourage people to get rid of their "sacred cows" Don't accept mediocrity and excuses from senior managers. Don't try so hard to coddle those resistant to change. They drag all of us down

Great place to work hard.

ProsFriendly, encouraging, resourceful and effective.

Consthere are no cons to share

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Down with the Debbie cakes!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a wonderful company to work for. The environment was positive and everyone was treated fairly. It is a family run company and when you work there you feel like you are part of the family.

ConsAt this company there are a lot of long term employees. This is good in one aspect, but leaves little room for advancement.

Worked for McKee Foods? Contribute to the Community!