McKee Foods

Updated February 6, 2015
Updated February 6, 2015
3.5

Mike McKee

Always learning new ways to sell

Current Employee - District Sales Representative

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, company vehicle, excellent sales force and always support from the bakery

Cons

Distribution system sometimes can hurt our business with negative distributors. Profitability can be low for the independent distributors because company makes us put on new locations every year

Listen to your sales reps

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Packaging Technician
    Former Employee - Packaging Technician

I worked at McKee Foods

Pros

Pay and work schedule was ok.

Cons

Wear steel-toed shoes for the eight hours of work. Work on concrete floor with no mats. Go up concrete steps to break area. Heavy lifting. Disastrous mess when machines backed-up.

Used to love it, now I hate it

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time

Pros

Weekends off, lot of paid time off

Cons

Have become more pushy, used to be family friendly. Now it seems they don't care about us.

Get rid of the current operating system. It adds constant stress to our lives. What used to be something I loved is now just a job, and one that I hate. So many are quitting. This needs to be addressed and we need to know why this is happening.

Bad company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gets me out of the house.

Cons

Too many lazy useless people. No team work! Benefits suck! No vacation or sick time just PTO. When you use PTO you still get an attendance point.

Should offer vacation time and sick time. If a person had PTO and calls in no point should be given.

Independent distributors treated as employees without the benefits.

Current Contractor - Independent Distributor
    Current Contractor - Independent Distributor

I have been working at McKee Foods as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were many in years past. None to speak of now

Cons

Company lets you assume all the risks of running your own business yet treats you like an employee. McKee foods strongly suggests increasing your expenses to fit their goals with little or no increase to distributors profitability. Though they hide behind a "moral code" and the face of a cute little girl, greed is the only thing that seems to drive them.

Either allow distributors to make their own business decisions or provide relief for stale product and give benefits. I believe you are walking a thin line between sub contractor and employee

Not what it used to be.

Current Employee - Process Operator in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Some decent people. Some training available. Room to climb up the ladder if you feel like working for it.

Cons

I'm a 3rd generation employee, and it just seems like the company is no where near as good as it used to be. The upper management knows nothing about what's going on. Health benefits aren't as great as other companies and are expensive for the coverage offered. People who work for raises/promotions typically don't get them, people that know someone important typically slide in the position. Very few team players on the production level.

Run the company like the small, family business mind set it started out with and pay more attention to your employees. Work on employee moral and getting employees to work as a team.

fun

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at McKee Foods as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

didn't have any promotions

Cons

most of the supervisors will not listen to you and others will make up things to get ahead

Overall decent work experience

Former Employee - Chemist in Collegedale, TN
    Former Employee - Chemist in Collegedale, TN

I worked at McKee Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The laboratory was one of the better labs for a food company with decent equipment and room. Things were usually kept busy and the work varied quite a bit. Company has very good values when it comes to hiring practices, running the company, and providing benefits.

Cons

The staffing was reduced increasing workloads to stressful levels at one point. Use to have more freedoms to explore projects, but time was restricted by the workload. Little growth opportunity for growth without changing job description.

Hours worked and expenses incurred were more than expected.

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Victoria, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Victoria, TX

I worked at McKee Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make good money, but spend all of your time working, and most of your money earned on expenses

Cons

Expenses incurred take 1/2 of your income.

Find ways to cut your expenses to survive.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Process Operator in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Profit sharing

Cons

There are a few really bad production supervisors that work here. I work in production in Collegedale, and can tell you first hand its who you work for that makes all the difference. I have worked for some supervisors here that are biased toward some and love to micro manage. This creates an uncomfortable working enviroment that no one wants to be in. Treating some unfairly and jumping on the chance to wright them up. It will backfire on them because no one will like them, nor will anyone want to work for them either.Those supervisors need not be in that position to begin with, especially working for a company like Mckee Foods that is Christan based. There are some very good supervisors that work here as well. I have worked for some that would go out of there way to do anything for you. Treating all fairly and has everyone's best interest in mind.

Think about the impact your decisions are going to make on all those employees who are doing the best the can from day to day trying to make a living.